For Japanese knife enthusiasts....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: For Japanese knife enthusiasts....
« Reply #160 on: 3 Apr 2015, 06:57 am »
Nice!  I still haven't got a knife in HAP40 but I hope to eventually.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #161 on: 17 Jun 2015, 06:23 pm »
This is a Nakiri I made and sold. Made of 01 tool steel, quenched in water, the hamon line came out very well.
(All my knives are sold at this time, and I am not trying to use this forum as a sales opportunity.)

GentleBender

« Reply #162 on: 17 Jun 2015, 06:49 pm »
Where do you sell them? :o

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #163 on: 17 Jun 2015, 08:27 pm »
Picture are often deceiving, but it looks thick for a Nakiri, more like a cleaver.  My Nakiri is probably my favorite knife to use.  Do you use a pinch grip on yours?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #164 on: 17 Jun 2015, 08:45 pm »
That's pretty cool. Do you have pics of more?

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #165 on: 17 Jun 2015, 10:33 pm »
It's 3/32" thick 01 tool steel.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #166 on: 17 Jun 2015, 10:40 pm »
Picture are often deceiving, but it looks thick for a Nakiri, more like a cleaver.  My Nakiri is probably my favorite knife to use.  Do you use a pinch grip on yours?

sometimes, when I need to make a accurate/fine cut, but the rest of the time I use the standard grip.

My knives are very hard (62/63 Rockwell Hardness), but they are easy to sharpen, using a steel rod. making a dozen strokes, about 13/15 degrees. Making a flag on the edge, then I micro bevel at 45 degrees. I always micro bevel.

(modified: let me stress, my knives are very hard on the edge, but soft enough to bend where the hamon line stops. And hard as 62/63 RC from the hamon to the cutting edge.)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #167 on: 17 Jun 2015, 11:13 pm »
sometimes, when I need to make a accurate/fine cut, but the rest of the time I use the standard grip.

My knives are very hard (62/63 Rockwell Hardness), but they are easy to sharpen, using a steel rod. making a dozen strokes, about 13/15 degrees. Making a flag on the edge, then I micro bevel at 45 degrees. I always micro bevel.

(modified: let me stress, my knives are very hard on the edge, but soft enough to bend where the hamon line stops. And hard as 62/63 RC from the hamon to the cutting edge.)
That's a much nicer looking knife than my nakiri, and with that hardness it should take a screaming edge.   

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #168 on: 17 Jun 2015, 11:47 pm »
Your moniker has now taken on a real meaning to me.  :thumb:
I like these. May I ask, what they sell for?

sfox7076

« Reply #169 on: 17 Jun 2015, 11:48 pm »
I have  a Nakiri from Korin here in NY.  I love it.  I want to get a better one in time.  I love the knife.  It is my go to veggie chopper. 

Ultralight

« Reply #170 on: 18 Jun 2015, 12:52 am »
Just saw this thread.
Subscribing just for kicks.

Don't know much about knives but have the usual suspect such as Cutcos (sold these when in grad school - lasted all of 2 week... :duh: Please don't hold it against me...:)

I do have some Shuns which I know is not considered great knives by serious enthusiasts but  I do like the Ken Onion Santoku in their higher end steel SG-2 steel.  That knife is just incredibly sharp and fast and the handle feels great.

However, I recently got back from the Orient and picked up a cheapie 7 inch US$4 knife that is shaped like chef knife.  But a more elegant curved edge. Sorta like a Bob Kramer shape on the top though more streamlined on the cutting edge. The handle is just simple wood and rather large.  The tang doesn't even fully fill the wood out so there is a gap.  It rusts like nobody's business if stored wet.   But what a knife!  I don't know what is it about the knife but it has this really razor sharp edge with very fine jagged edges. And the handle is just a slab of cheap looking wood and is very large. It simply allows the finest control I've ever had with a knife along with an effortless sense of cutting. It's so good that my wife who is a knife agnostic is now using knife over all the other knives I've gotten her.  I no longer use my paring knife given how much control I have with this.  Just odd.  I'll say though, this is not a fluke as all the street vendors in this city use the exact same knife and they all pay that same paltry US$4.  That fact that they all seem to use the same knife got my attention and I grabbed a couple just for kicks not thinking it will become our favorite knife.  Surprised obviously.

No clue if this if an interest but figure I'll just make a note as I mark this thread.

UL
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2015, 06:47 am by Ultralight »

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #171 on: 18 Jun 2015, 03:25 am »
Your moniker has now taken on a real meaning to me.  :thumb:
I like these. May I ask, what they sell for?

They all vary in price from $130.00 to $300.00. All have life time guarantees and 60 day money back guarantees.
If they ever break, chip or whatever, I replace it. But, so far I have never replaced one or had a return. But, it's only been ten years, maybe one will wear out, who knows..

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #172 on: 18 Jun 2015, 03:56 am »
Very nice work! :thumb:

sfox7076

« Reply #173 on: 18 Jun 2015, 03:58 am »
Where do you sell them?

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #174 on: 18 Jun 2015, 04:40 am »
Where do you sell them?

I will have a large selection to choose from at the end of July. They will be as good as any custom order I have ever made, but will just be my design and personal choices. I am at www.palmerknives.com

(I am working on some Nakiri's using 52100 (ball bearing steel) and 01 tool steel right now. The 52100 blades are too hard (rockwell hardness) right now, I need to soften them up a bit, in the tempering process. They won't be better than my "01" tool steel, just more exotic and a little more expensive. I will provide Nakiri's in "01" and "52100" by abundance by the end of July.)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #175 on: 18 Jun 2015, 12:18 pm »
That's an amazing skill you have there Sir.
One of these days, I will place an order.  :thumb:

GentleBender

« Reply #176 on: 18 Jun 2015, 12:20 pm »
I will provide Nakiri's in "01" and "52100" by abundance by the end of July.)
Could you PM me when you are ready to sell some?

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #177 on: 18 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm »
Could you PM me when you are ready to sell some?

Sure, I'll give you a PM..
Pic of my arsenal..

« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2015, 05:56 am by bladesmith »

viggen

« Reply #178 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:28 pm »
got a global 8" chef knife over the weekend.  it's fantastic.  better than the 5 year old kyocera i have.  then again, i've never sharpened the kyocera, so it's probably not a fair comparison.

mhconley

« Reply #179 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:56 pm »
I've started replacing our 14 year old set of J. A. Henckels classic knives with Kyocera ceramic knives. I'll never go back to steel knives.  The Kyocera ceramic knives cut through just about anything like going through butter.  I can't believe how much control they give me.

Martin