Modwright Tube Oppo BDP-83 Getting it dialed in

Ern Dog

Re: Modwright Tube Oppo BDP-83 Getting it dialed in
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jan 2011, 03:49 am »
Last week, just for kicks, I plugged my MW Oppo directly into my amp and used the Oppo's built-in volume control.  Man was I  in for a big surprise.  Veils were lifted, it became more transparent and more three dimensional!  Today I went back to the old way using my 9.0SE preamp and after a couple songs I preferred it going direct, so switched it back.  Because of this I've decided to look for a Placette passive preamp.  This will be my first venture into using a passive preamp.

In my rig, the down side of plugging my source directly into my amp is that:

1.  I can't use my sub anymore
2.  I can't use my rig to double as a home theater rig anymore
3.  It's so revealing that there is no place for poorly recorded cd's to hide anymore.  Using the preamp made them sound more enjoyable.
4.  I hear an audible thump during the silence after each song as it moves to the next song.  This is kinda annoying and was not present when using my preamp.

Even with all these down sides, it is worth it because it sounds sooooo good!  It will be interesting to hear the Placette.  Actually, the Placette doesn't have any audio signature.  It's totally transparent, so I'll just hear everything else.

Artp

« Reply #41 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:33 pm »
Last week I put a NOS Mullard "fat base" 5AR4 in my PS and boy what a great improvement. Super nice mids, sparkling detailed highs and the bass got even more powerful and defined. It still amazes me how a 50yr old tube can sound so good. I was told this tube will outlast me so that makes the high $$$ easier to swallow. I did not really want to go the NOS route for the 6SN7's so I just ordered a pair of Create Audio 6SN7's and I'll post my impressions after I have them going for a while. My Oppo sounds so good now I can't stop listening!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #42 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:53 pm »
Last week, just for kicks, I plugged my MW Oppo directly into my amp and used the Oppo's built-in volume control.  Man was I  in for a big surprise.  Veils were lifted, it became more transparent and more three dimensional!  Today I went back to the old way using my 9.0SE preamp and after a couple songs I preferred it going direct, so switched it back.  Because of this I've decided to look for a Placette passive preamp.  This will be my first venture into using a passive preamp.

In my rig, the down side of plugging my source directly into my amp is that:

1.  I can't use my sub anymore
2.  I can't use my rig to double as a home theater rig anymore
3.  It's so revealing that there is no place for poorly recorded cd's to hide anymore.  Using the preamp made them sound more enjoyable.
4.  I hear an audible thump during the silence after each song as it moves to the next song.  This is kinda annoying and was not present when using my preamp.

Even with all these down sides, it is worth it because it sounds sooooo good!  It will be interesting to hear the Placette.  Actually, the Placette doesn't have any audio signature.  It's totally transparent, so I'll just hear everything else.

passives must meet certain requirements to perform at their best. First off the CDP must have an output of 2V or more. Second the amplifier requires a low input sensitivity, say less than 1 v. Yes the soyrce will be exposed, good or bad.
   A Dodd Buffer would work nicely.
BTW, try using speaker cables to your sub from the main speakers. Much better than using the pre out. allows the amp to power the main speakers a bit easier.

charles

Ern Dog

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jan 2011, 02:56 am »
For my sub I'm using a JL Audio Fathom and it only has 2 set of inputs:  XLR's or RCA's.  So I don't see how I would connect the sub from my speakers.

I just switched out my current amp for a Pass Labs XA30.5 and this totally changed the sound of the whole Rig.  So I'm still adjusting my brain to this.

Ern Dog

« Reply #44 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:42 am »
My Modwright Umbilical cord arrived today.  Take this with a grain of salt because I've only been listening to it for a couple hours and I'm sure it needs time to break in to sound its best.

There is a noticeable amount more detail and clarity present and the bass seems to be tighter.  I think I'm going to be liking this tweak :)  More to come.....

Ern Dog

« Reply #45 on: 8 Jul 2011, 06:02 pm »
Here are more tweaks I've been playing with over the past few months:

1) SteinMusic E-Pads:  This is a very small sticker (half the size of a stamp) that I placed in the cd tray.  I was very skeptical about it, but I was allowed a free demo from an AudioCircle member or else I never would have tried it.  The E-Pad removed a layer of grunge that I didn't even know was there.  The result was more clarity.  Once I tried it, there was no going back.  This was not a significant upgrade, but not a subtle one either, so I'm going with a Moderate increase.  They cost $100 new.  http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/SteinMusic/product/e-pad/SteinMusic_E_Pads.htm

2) AC Recptacle:  I upgraded my wall AC receptacle from the stock to a Porter Port.  Now this was a significant improvement AND for only $36!  I wish I would have done this a long time ago.  There is no excuse with that price.  It opened up the soundstage, everything sounded fuller, more depth, more separation and air.  This tweak is a no brainer.  http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?powrdist&1314151527&/Porter-Port-20-Amp-Porter-Port

3) Power cords:  I'm a big Pangea fan and so tried the new AC-14SE on the player and power supply.  $50 each.  It sounded like crap brand new, but after it broke in after a couple days the sound dramatically improved.  There was more of an improvement using the new pc on the player versus the power supply.  I found the AC-9's to sound a tad warm, now these AC-14SE's have less coloration.  The sound fairly neutral to me.  They added more resolution.

4) Audiophile fuses:  There's HiFi Tunning, Isoclean and AMR.  Again, I'm a skeptic and don't like to pay lots of overhead for brand names when I can get the same performance for less.  So the natural choice was to try the AMR fuse.  This cost me $20 for 1 fuse with gold plated ends.  I decided to try it first on the Modwright 9.0 power supply.  Now this tweak was the most subtle of all I have listed here.  After I got the fuse installed in the right direction (needed a multi meter to accomplish this) and listened for a few days, I noticed a subtle increase in resolution.  My plan is to get more of these fuses for my Placette Active and Pass Labs XA30.5.  Note:  after popping the hood on the Oppo, I found the fuse, but it looked like it was soldered in.  So I won't be replacing that one.  Call Brian at Essential Audio and he'll set you up: http://www.essentialaudio.com/

5) Power Conditioner:  A year ago I had emailed Dan about which power conditioner he recommended for the Modwright preamp and he replied that he had really liked Running Springs products.  So, I did my homework and read all the reviews and decided on the Running Springs Haley.  I bought it used from an AudioCircle member.  Previous to that I had a PS Audio Quintet, which I always had mixed feelings about.  After installing the Haley, it catapulted the sound to a whole new level.  It was immediately noticeable.  It is allowing all the components to perform their best.  The result is an increase in the top/bottom extension.  There is so much more bass present that I rarely use my Fathom sub anymore!  Secondly, there is a dramatic increase in three dimensionality.  It really has pulled everything together.

The end result of all these tweaks is that I've never felt so satisfied with how my rig sounds.  I'm literally blown away every time I listen.  When I listen, all the gear disappears and the music sounds so alive and real.  It is truly sublime.  It has upgraded all my CD's into SACD status!  Because of this there is more emotional impact to music.

Ern Dog

« Reply #46 on: 10 Jul 2011, 07:25 pm »
Sooo, about those power cords.....  well, I posted my findings too soon before it was fully broken in.  I say that because this morning I took out the AC-14SE out of the Oppo and replaced it with the AC-9.  The AC-9 sounded better to my ears and I thought I was hearing things so I tried it back and forth several times to be sure.  The top end had more sparkle and shimmer when listing to my Duke Ellington & Coltrane cd, track 7, "The feeling of Jazz".  The intro to this song uses strong cymbals and it is a great test for the top end.  It was clear to me that the AC-9 delivered more realistic shimmer and the bottom end had more umph too.  The AC-14SE sounded more pale in comparison.  YMMV.

audiodave33

« Reply #47 on: 11 Jul 2011, 02:57 am »
ErnDog, Wonderful write-up.  I have been doing numerous tweaks as well. 

I happen to be the AudioCircle member that has the SteinMusic E-Pads.  I have a few extra's, if anyone is interested, just email me and I'll send you one to try.

I also upgraded my receptacles to TeslaPlex and Oyaide SWO-GX.  Same experience as ErnDog.  I use the Oyaide for components that I feel are a bit bright, harsh and/or fatiguing. 

I am experimenting with power cords right now.  I currently have a Synergistic Research, LessLoss and Tel Wire.  Since the Tel Wire has an Oyaide plug it is plugged into the Oyaide receptacle.  Lots of combinations between components and receptacles ;-)

Audiophile fuses are next on my list.

I have tried several power conditioners, but eventually put direct lines in.  After I put the direct lines in I actually found the power conditioner not to be helpful.  Perhaps it was the brand.  In any case direct lines are far more cost effective. 

I am currently experimenting with tubes and will write up my experience once I'm done.  And many thanks to the numerous people who have already shared their opinions on different tubes.

I've had different experiences with SACD's.  I've heard amazing red book CD's and poor SACD's so it really comes down to the recording.

And I absolutely agree with ErnDog, after all the tweaks, my gear disappears and the music sounds so alive and real.  And as we have both discovered, it is all these little tweaks, that are not all that expensive, that brings the music to another level.

And lastly since this is on the Modwright forum I have put the 36.5 and 9100ES CDP against several other brands and Modwright has always come out on top in my opinion.

Wig

« Reply #48 on: 11 Jul 2011, 03:36 am »
I had no idea that an AC receptacle could make a noticeable improvement. This will definitely be my next project...

Wig :thumb:

Ern Dog

« Reply #49 on: 11 Jul 2011, 03:43 am »
Hey Dave-  Good to hear from you again.  Somebody take him up on his offer to demo the E-pads- you won't regret it.  I'd like to try getting direct lines in, but I'm a renter, so that will have to wait.