Modwright Tube Oppo BDP-83 Getting it dialed in

jriggy

Re: Modwright Tube Oppo BDP-83 Getting it dialed in
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2010, 03:28 pm »
What particular Mullard rectifier are you using?

Burning in a Sylvania branded, Mullard 5AR4 GZ34 from 1972 now...

Ern Dog

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2010, 09:54 pm »
I'm using a 5ar4 Mullard with the hole in the guide pin and it's the f32 code version from Great Britain.  I think I paid $80 for a used one.

bluesea

« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2010, 07:46 pm »
Great post.

I'm on the waiting list for the next tube mod build for the BDP-83. My last player was an Audio Note CD3.1x, and I am very curious (and a little on edge 8)) as to how the Oppo will compare. Time will tell, I guess.

Have a pair of 6SN7WGT brownbase JAN Tung Sol Military grade on order--still looking for a 5AR4.

Ern Dog

« Reply #23 on: 23 Nov 2010, 01:54 am »
Bluesea,
I've never heard the Audio Note players so I can't offer any opinions about it.  Please share your impression about how you think they stack up.  It may help somebody else who has that player and is considering upgrading.

glineus

« Reply #24 on: 24 Nov 2010, 12:59 pm »
Hi any feedback on the new umbilical, is it an improvement over the stock cord.

bluesea

« Reply #25 on: 25 Nov 2010, 05:07 am »
Will do, ED.

As for the umbilical, I'm definitely considering it. I'm assuming this is the wire connecting the external power supply, which is in any case what I would consider an important connection.

mjalazard

« Reply #26 on: 27 Nov 2010, 10:15 am »
Ern Dog,
Where is your source for tubes? My Oppo arrives this week?
Mike

Well, the sylvania 6SN7 GTB yellow label tubes arrived today and they sound wonderful.  They are neutral, detailed and have tight bass.  It's exactly what my system needed.  They are a better match for me versus the stock Tung sol 6SN7's (current production) that came with the Oppo.

I also applied Dynamat on the inside of the lid of the Oppo.  The improvement was very subtle, but it seemed like there was less noise, but not sure.

So far, I'm finding that the biggest improvements came from rolling vintage tubes and second was changing power cords.
Ern Dog
Where is your source for the tubes?  My Oppo will be arriving this week. 
Mike

Overall, after doing all these tweaks, I have to say that my Oppo sounds nothing like it did when I first started this thread.  Now it sounds balanced and is more realistic sounding and involving.  I'm curious to hear how the GIK bass corner traps will effect things.

Ern Dog

« Reply #27 on: 27 Nov 2010, 04:29 pm »
I've bought tubes here: http://www.vacuumtubes.com/6sn7.html

and on Audiogon.

bluesea

« Reply #28 on: 27 Nov 2010, 07:50 pm »
Any thoughts on using the 274B (if it fits) as a substitute for the 5AR4? I saw that it was encouraged in one make of amplifier.

dminches

« Reply #29 on: 27 Nov 2010, 08:36 pm »
You should ask Dan before using any substitute tube.

mjalazard

« Reply #30 on: 4 Dec 2010, 06:18 am »
Amazon has some tubes:
http://www.amazon.com/Groove-Tubes-GT-5AR4-R-GT-5AR4-Rectifier/dp/B0002E1SKK
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M72EI/ref=oss_product
as well
I also found some Russian Reflector NOS 6SL7's (1579) on the 'bay for real cheap.
I've been playing the new Oppo for several hours now, and I'm simply blown away!  I though Dan's original mods were great, but this leaves everything in the dust.  I critically listened to the MoFi copy of the Who's Tommy "Underture"  You can just about feel the drumskins!  The kickbass is tight and precise. The front to back and left to right soundstage image is really good.  I swear you can hear him move counterclockwise around his drumkit!  I hear instruments and percussion that I had not heard before. The silence is deeper. The vocals are cleaner.  It's going to be another late night listening session.  I have too many discs to listen to.  Thanks again, Dan.  I can't wait ti share this player at the THE Show.
Mike
NFS Audio

modwright

« Reply #31 on: 7 Dec 2010, 08:09 pm »
Thanks Mike!  Wait until you hear it with the new 'Truth' umbilical!

Dan

Ern Dog

« Reply #32 on: 12 Dec 2010, 03:15 am »
Footer update:  I auditioned both the Vibrapod cones and isolators on the Oppo.  I tried the cones first and it sounded worse to my ears.  The isolators were a different story.  The player "woke up" with these in place.  Very nice upgrade to the stock feet and cheap too.  $24 for 3. 

I kept the cones underneath my MW 9.0 preamp which was a nice improvement.  Further listening with the cones & isolators underneath the power supply was more difficult for me to form a consistent opinion about them, as both seemed to offer a subtle improvement.  It was not as a dramatic difference as it was with using them under the Oppo.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #33 on: 12 Dec 2010, 07:32 am »
Footer update:  I auditioned both the Vibrapod cones and isolators on the Oppo.  I tried the cones first and it sounded worse to my ears.  The isolators were a different story.  The player "woke up" with these in place.  Very nice upgrade to the stock feet and cheap too.  $24 for 3. 

I kept the cones underneath my MW 9.0 preamp which was a nice improvement.  Further listening with the cones & isolators underneath the power supply was more difficult for me to form a consistent opinion about them, as both seemed to offer a subtle improvement.  It was not as a dramatic difference as it was with using them under the Oppo.

A warning about the Vibrapod Isolators: be careful of what you put them on because they tend to mark surfaces over time.  The resulting black marks are nearly impossible to completely remove.  This is a known issue with them.  I contacted Vibrapod when I used them between stacked components and found after a few months that they'd left rings I could not get off.  They had a few suggestions (can't recall what they were) but warned that they were not 100% effective, and indeed that was the case.  I don't know if they've since changed the material they use. 

Ern Dog

« Reply #34 on: 12 Dec 2010, 08:24 pm »
Yes, I was aware of that before I bought them.  The Vibrapod website discloses this and recommends putting something underneath, like a card and problem solved- so thats what I use.  I don't want any black circles on my nice audio rack.

jriggy

« Reply #35 on: 12 Dec 2010, 09:23 pm »
For such a great player I splurged for a set of 3 Ceraballs. Putting one directly under the transport. Effects to soundstage precision was not subtle. Wonderful. They let so much more detail through that is clouded in vibration.
 Just used a set of Isol Pads for the PS.

bluesea

« Reply #36 on: 12 Dec 2010, 11:55 pm »
I have a GE/Mullard 5AR4/GZ34 (4-notch plates in short bottle, hole in centering pin, mid 60's).

Expected shipping date for Oppo tube mod/w umbilical: last week of Dec.

jriggy

« Reply #37 on: 13 Dec 2010, 03:40 am »
Hey Dan,

Do you have a favorite rectifier -- over your nice stock tubes -- that you most enjoy for the SE???

Thanks

Jason

modwright

« Reply #38 on: 13 Dec 2010, 11:16 pm »
I am partial to the Mullard GZ34's.  There are many variants with subtle differences.  The Philips Metal Base is also VERY good, but $$$.

Thanks!

Dan

JAC559

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:25 am »
Hi Dan;

Can I use a Mullard GZ33 / CV5745
in place of the GZ34?  Upscale has them for $90.