BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« Reply #160 on: 27 May 2010, 12:34 pm »
James

Would you consider a 'base' version with display and control buttons only and a version with display and control buttons and built in DAC (AKA the BCD-1) for folks who only want single source in system without additional expense of external DAC ...

Hi,

Maybe eventually an internal DAC but given the success of the BDA-1 and the fact that we want to optimize the 'processing' side of the digital file (there's only so much room available in the box) with the BDP-1 we will probably sell the 2 units as a package for the foreseeable future.

james

Napalm

« Reply #161 on: 27 May 2010, 02:23 pm »
Hi,

Maybe eventually an internal DAC but given the success of the BDA-1 and the fact that we want to optimize the 'processing' side of the digital file (there's only so much room available in the box) with the BDP-1 we will probably sell the 2 units as a package for the foreseeable future.

james

Hope this helps. I plan to get the BDA-1 this fall. There are some things that could change my mind till then:

- I go completely broke
- There is some other company announcing a product that suits me better

After that I will explore what the BDP-1 is and whether it makes more sense to buy it instead of a dedicated laptop.

Nap. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #162 on: 27 May 2010, 02:47 pm »
Hi Nap,

The laptop idea will work fine (I have 3 of them) with our DAC but do not expect the same level of performance offered by the BDP-1.

james

sfraser

« Reply #163 on: 27 May 2010, 03:29 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes the intent of the BDP-1 is that it typically would be used on a network with a web browser as an interface or Itouch, Ipad etc. (lots more of these devices coming).  So playlists and music management would be managed using the aforementioned interfaces under most circumstances.

The advantage of the 2 line display and front panel interface or BR-2 remote features is that you do not have to be on the network to operate the BDP-1 player. You just power it up - connect it to a DAC (BDA-1) - plug in a USB thumbdrive or harddrive - and press PLAY.  The 2 line display would show Song and Artist and would allow for some minor scrolling through the current attached song playlists. It is not meant to replace a full fledged music management system of which there are plenty out there (ex MINION). Also we are working on our own 'Bryston web music browser' to interface with the BDP-1.

Again think of it as a CD Player but using USB drives instead of CD's. So the typical music server out there now would be more like a CD Jukebox and the BDA-1 would be more like a single disc CD Player.

james

James is someone in Peterborough currently/planning on  writing a iTouch/iPhone  app for the BDP-1? Or would you leave this up to 3rd/interested  parties?

Ipeng is an 3rd party app for the iTouch/iPhone, which acts as a remote control for the Squeezeserver. I actually prefer it to the $350 official Logitech remote control for the squeezeserver. Something to keep in mind.

Napalm

« Reply #164 on: 27 May 2010, 03:34 pm »
Hi Nap,

The laptop idea will work fine (I have 3 of them) with our DAC but do not expect the same level of performance offered by the BDP-1.

james

Hi James,

I understand that. And price would not be a deciding factor either, as a well made laptop with optical outputs and everything would go well beyond $1000 too. It would be mostly based on an assessment of user interface / usability for what I want to do. If the BDP-1 is awkward to use, then I'll be  :scratch:

Nap.  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #165 on: 27 May 2010, 04:12 pm »
James is someone in Peterborough currently/planning on  writing a iTouch/iPhone  app for the BDP-1? Or would you leave this up to 3rd/interested  parties?

Ipeng is an 3rd party app for the iTouch/iPhone, which acts as a remote control for the Squeezeserver. I actually prefer it to the $350 official Logitech remote control for the squeezeserver. Something to keep in mind.

Hi,

Not sure on that yet. - I am using MPOD now and it works great on my Itouch with the prototype BDP-1.  I am using Firefox and Minion as the web interface and it is excellent as well.

james

Napalm

« Reply #166 on: 27 May 2010, 04:24 pm »
 :idea: LAPTOP :idea:

Now think about this. It has integrated wireless. I could make it automatically post in the "What are you currently listening to?" thread the cover of the album that plays.

PRICELESS!!!!
:tempted:

Nap the Spammer

sfraser

« Reply #167 on: 27 May 2010, 04:42 pm »
Hi,

Not sure on that yet. - I am using MPOD now and it works great on my Itouch with the prototype BDP-1.  I am using Firefox and Minion as the web interface and it is excellent as well.

james

Very cool! I have not seen MPOD before.

Napalm

« Reply #168 on: 27 May 2010, 04:45 pm »
Trying to clarify my thoughts.... from my POV if it does what this does, except it does it from a 2.5" HD, then I'm happy as a pig in the mud.

Nap.  :P

Napalm

« Reply #169 on: 27 May 2010, 05:04 pm »
 :idea: JOG/SHUTTLE WHEEL  :idea:

Nap.  :wave:

skunark

« Reply #170 on: 27 May 2010, 05:32 pm »
I think a DAC option for the BDP-1 would be desirable to many and I think it would be smart option to offer if there's room in the box.

For me, I would rather have an internal HDD bay, so I don't have to have a USB HDD out in the open and deal with another wall wart.   Of course, I'm not afraid to swap internal HDDs or even use the USB enclosures like Thermaltake's:(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066&cm_re=usb_hdd_enclosure-_-17-153-066-_-Product)

Since both the 2.5" and 3.5" drives now conform to mechanical connection standard you could make this real simple such that it can slide in from the back or a front slot and which could lock by shutting the door.  This would be no different than enterprise server hardware HDD loading mechanism (Also used by the Mac Pro and Drobo External Drives).  Potentially this would mostly be a mechanical change to the existing design.   You could easily use a SATA->USB adapter to keep everything simple internally and stick to 2.5" drives that can be USB powered.   Ideally you would want to use a 2.5" SSDs to minimize vibration and noise from the traditional HDDs.

This would just augment the front and rear USB ports along with the support for the NAS.   And then I can switch between a thumbdrive, NAS, internal HDD or perhaps if my music collection gets truely out of control the USB drive with the wall wart.

Sadly though, I realize that my desire would be intimidating to the average user even though I think it would be rather easy to offer.

Jim

skunark

« Reply #171 on: 27 May 2010, 05:34 pm »
:idea: JOG/SHUTTLE WHEEL  :idea:

Nap.  :wave:

Horrendous interface IMHO.  I would rather have a single disc player than that thing....wait.. I do lol :) 

Napalm

« Reply #172 on: 27 May 2010, 05:40 pm »

Sadly though, I realize that my desire would be intimidating to the average user even though I think it would be rather easy to offer.

Actually your desire is quite conservative. I've asked about the internal HD tray myself and I'm pretty much a Luddite.

Internal DAC would be nice too, however I can see some reasons for which a separate box makes sense (less EM noise near the analog stages, more flexibility).

Nap.  :thumb:

sfraser

« Reply #173 on: 27 May 2010, 05:45 pm »
I think a DAC option for the BDP-1 would be desirable to many and I think it would be smart option to offer if there's room in the box.

For me, I would rather have an internal HDD bay, so I don't have to have a USB HDD out in the open and deal with another wall wart.   Of course, I'm not afraid to swap internal HDDs or even use the USB enclosures like Thermaltake's:(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066&cm_re=usb_hdd_enclosure-_-17-153-066-_-Product)

Since both the 2.5" and 3.5" drives now conform to mechanical connection standard you could make this real simple such that it can slide in from the back or a front slot and which could lock by shutting the door.  This would be no different than enterprise server hardware HDD loading mechanism (Also used by the Mac Pro and Drobo External Drives).  Potentially this would mostly be a mechanical change to the existing design.   You could easily use a SATA->USB adapter to keep everything simple internally and stick to 2.5" drives that can be USB powered.   Ideally you would want to use a 2.5" SSDs to minimize vibration and noise from the traditional HDDs.

This would just augment the front and rear USB ports along with the support for the NAS.   And then I can switch between a thumbdrive, NAS, internal HDD or perhaps if my music collection gets truely out of control the USB drive with the wall wart.

Jim

Interesting idea! Might be a ESD risk for non technical folks installing the drive, and might be noisy for some people however . I have a fan-less NAS with 1TB 3.5" drive sitting in my stereo rack. At low volumes  I can still here the drive occasionally. Might also be a electronic noise issue for Bryston to contend with as well. On the plus side it would relieve Bryston from any support issues regarding music media support . The drive would simply be considered a large memory stick which is the consumers responsibility  .  Bryston would have to support a method of moving music to the drive however, but that should not be too difficult.

Napalm

skunark

skunark

« Reply #176 on: 27 May 2010, 06:17 pm »
Interesting idea! Might be a ESD risk for non technical folks installing the drive, and might be noisy for some people however . I have a fan-less NAS with 1TB 3.5" drive sitting in my stereo rack. At low volumes  I can still here the drive occasionally. Might also be a electronic noise issue for Bryston to contend with as well. On the plus side it would relieve Bryston from any support issues regarding music media support . The drive would simply be considered a large memory stick which is the consumers responsibility  .  Bryston would have to support a method of moving music to the drive however, but that should not be too difficult.

If you did a 2.5" USB bus-powered SSD/HDD then it's really no different electrically compared to the external USB ports.  But having a dedicated location to place the HDD would probably be better than just laying it on top of the box around sensitive circuits.    I still think if Bryston offers another chassis for this, that would also be fine but then you wonder how many boxes you need to fire this thing up..

Napalm

« Reply #177 on: 27 May 2010, 06:28 pm »
But can it do hi-rez?   

Don't think so. But you can take a look at the HD version which should. And I can bet there are some asian import boxes <$100 that will do that.

My point is that maybe the BDP-1 offers too little. Maybe it should go back to the drawing board. To have impressive, unbeatable performance it should integrate the DAC, and have a high precision clock that drives the DAC and synchronously feeds data to it from a RAM buffer.

As for now you just have a separate DAC box that tries it best to sync its clock via some PLL circuits. Did anyone mention jitter. Not that I really care but that's what reviewers will measure amongst other things.

Nap.  :scratch:

P.S. Think BCD-1 except you put a 2.5" HD in the tray?  :dunno:

skunark

« Reply #178 on: 27 May 2010, 06:44 pm »
Don't think so. But you can take a look at the HD version which should. And I can bet there are some asian import boxes <$100 that will do that.

My point is that maybe the BDP-1 offers too little. Maybe it should go back to the drawing board. To have impressive, unbeatable performance it should integrate the DAC, and have a high precision clock that drives the DAC and synchronously feeds data to it from a RAM buffer.

As for now you just have a separate DAC box that tries it best to sync its clock via some PLL circuits. Did anyone mention jitter. Not that I really care but that's what reviewers will measure amongst other things.

I think the BDP-1 is the right product even without an internal DAC.  I think pairing it with the BDA-1 or any pre-amp with an internal DAC is the best bang for the buck. I would also like to see the BCD-1 be offered as a transport and be below $2k but everyone will have different requirements in their system, so I do think offering an internal DAC for the BDP-1 is a smart move, just one that I won't select.

To me the biggest selling point of the BDP-1 is how simple the overall solution can be for hi-rez audio with an iPod Touch as a remote.  I now don't need a traditional computer/laptop around my gear and yet I will gain all the conveniences they offer with music. 

What i don't want is a solution that locks me into a certain file format or a chassis that I can't swap the HDD/SSDs because it's not a matter of if they fail but more when will they fail.

sfraser

« Reply #179 on: 27 May 2010, 10:05 pm »

I have a unit made by "pop corn hour" does the same thing as WD unit in your URL but also streams HD (blu ray) at 1080p. It cost about $250 i think.

In regards to the comment about doing too little,  I think we are missing the point, Bryston's mandate for the product has always been  to do one thing, play music, but do it very well.