BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)

Napalm

Re: BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« Reply #120 on: 22 May 2010, 04:45 pm »
What's to like?

On the fly reading with interpolation and embedded DAC vs. guaranteed source file that doesn't change, and your choice of DAC.

If you want photography and graphics, there is always vinyl...
Or HD Tracks which has the liner notes and photos as part of the download.

Massive numbers of jewel cases to be housed and dusted vs. a hard disk/NAS spinning quietly out of the way.

Time to move on.

Whanafi - I feel comfortable with purchasing it on CD for several reasons:

- you can buy them cash; no VISA number across the internet to some shop that can't keep it secure.
- you can sell or give them away as a gift
- you can lend some of them to your friends (not your whole collection PC included)
- you keep them as a backup after you rip them

This is purchase related. Otherwise I agree that for playback HD is the way to go. (there was a thread started by Mag where I gave 4 good reasons for using HD based playback).

Nap.  :thumb:

whanafi

« Reply #121 on: 22 May 2010, 06:02 pm »
Can't disagree that using payment on the net is always a risk.  I went 15 years without a problem, and it was HD Tracks that broke the streak.  I try and keep one card just for online so that it is obvious when something goes wrong. 

With the death of physical shops, one is pretty much forced to shop online even for physical media.

The whole issue of changing cultural standards for gift giving is for another thread - pre-paid or gift cards are one manifestation.

We talked about CD life span before - I would rather back up data than rely on a piece of plastic with a layer than can oxidize.

As they say, vive la difference and YMMV.

werd

« Reply #122 on: 22 May 2010, 06:57 pm »
Hello James

I guess the idea is to stack the BDP ontop of the BDA. Are you going to manufacturer the Bdp's outputs right above the matching BDA's inputs?. I understand its beneficial to relock as close to the dac as possible. And that would mean a connect as short as possible.

Would you consider a proprietary cable to do this in xlr?This would be shorter than even a .5 mtr xlr and would need to be somewhat propriertary because of this.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #123 on: 22 May 2010, 08:33 pm »
Hello James

I guess the idea is to stack the BDP ontop of the BDA. Are you going to manufacturer the Bdp's outputs right above the matching BDA's inputs?. I understand its beneficial to relock as close to the dac as possible. And that would mean a connect as short as possible.

Would you consider a proprietary cable to do this in xlr?This would be shorter than even a .5 mtr xlr and would need to be somewhat propriertary because of this.

Hi werd,

Not sure I understand - there is no reclocking between the BDP-1 and the BDA-1.  There is an XLR and a BNC digital out on the BDP-1 which is then fed to the DAC of your choice.

james

werd

« Reply #124 on: 22 May 2010, 08:45 pm »
Hi werd,

Not sure I understand - there is no reclocking between the BDP-1 and the BDA-1.  There is an XLR and a BNC digital out on the BDP-1 which is then fed to the DAC of your choice.

james

Hi James

Does the BDP reclock the signal to the BDA once it converted from USB?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #125 on: 22 May 2010, 08:47 pm »
Hi James

Have to check with engineering on that one.

james

skunark

« Reply #126 on: 23 May 2010, 01:36 am »
Hi James

Since the USB drive only acts as a storage device and not an audio device the BDP-1 will regenerate the clocked based on the data stored within a music file.  Pretty much the same way a computer would work with an AES/BNC outputs running on a USB drive. 

docmojo

« Reply #127 on: 23 May 2010, 05:17 pm »
Hi James,

2 questions, do you have a better idea of a release date for the player?  And secondly, are there any requirements with regards to the NAS drive.  I am going to be buying one but wanted to make sure it will be compatible with the player when it is released.

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #128 on: 23 May 2010, 06:14 pm »
Hi James,

2 questions, do you have a better idea of a release date for the player?  And secondly, are there any requirements with regards to the NAS drive.  I am going to be buying one but wanted to make sure it will be compatible with the player when it is released.

Thanks!

Hi -my hope is this summer for the player and I will ask about the NAS drive. We are thinking about another box that would add storage and 'be seen' instantly by the BDP-1 on the network.

james

Napalm

« Reply #129 on: 23 May 2010, 10:09 pm »
How about an iPod dock?  :eyebrows:

:peek:

whanafi

« Reply #130 on: 24 May 2010, 07:42 am »
Hi -my hope is this summer for the player and I will ask about the NAS drive. We are thinking about another box that would add storage and 'be seen' instantly by the BDP-1 on the network.

james

PLEASE don't become one of those companies that packages inexpensive electronics in a heavy metal case then marks it up 1000%.  There is no need for Bryston to be in the NAS business, nor can it hope to compete with the features and pricing driven by the storage industry.  Disk is cheap, subject to failiure, and replaceable - not the characteristics one thinks of as Bryston.

Napalm

« Reply #131 on: 24 May 2010, 08:15 am »
PLEASE don't become one of those companies that packages inexpensive electronics in a heavy metal case then marks it up 1000%.  There is no need for Bryston to be in the NAS business, nor can it hope to compete with the features and pricing driven by the storage industry.  Disk is cheap, subject to failiure, and replaceable - not the characteristics one thinks of as Bryston.

If they go for a RAID 1 box based on 2.5" drives with no fans it could be a winner. There's no such thing on the market, they're all 3.5".

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #132 on: 24 May 2010, 11:20 am »

Hi = I was thinking that as solid state storage becomes more inexpensive that might be an option moving forward to offer some in-room local storage?  i agree we do not want to be in the NAS business.

james

Napalm

« Reply #133 on: 24 May 2010, 02:41 pm »
Hi = I was thinking that as solid state storage becomes more inexpensive that might be an option moving forward to offer some in-room local storage?  i agree we do not want to be in the NAS business.
james

Hi James,

Does this mean that we could hope that the BDP-1 would have a tray (a la PS3) so we could install an internal 2.5" SATA device such as a HD or SSD???

If true, then all that I can say is   :thankyou:  :bowdown:  :hyper: :bounce:

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #134 on: 24 May 2010, 03:28 pm »
Hi James,

Does this mean that we could hope that the BDP-1 would have a tray (a la PS3) so we could install an internal 2.5" SATA device such as a HD or SSD???

If true, then all that I can say is   :thankyou:  :bowdown:  :hyper: :bounce:

Nap.

Sorry no tray - I was thinking this would be an external box to match the BDP-1 and the BDA-1 and have solid state storage.

james

Napalm

« Reply #135 on: 24 May 2010, 03:32 pm »
Wouldn't the whole thing grow a little bit too big with 3 boxes?

:scratch: [Napalm goes downstairs with a tape ruler to measure furniture]  :scratch:

Nap.

Phil A

« Reply #136 on: 24 May 2010, 04:54 pm »
3 is a lot of boxes.  Years back Verizon attempted (prior to FIOS) a video demand service that required 3 set top boxes.  Didn't fare to well for a $100M+ investment.

werd

« Reply #137 on: 24 May 2010, 04:57 pm »
Yes 2 would even be too much. I think you should just stick with the orig plan, single box with xlr and rca out. No display or a small rudimentary display that can help orient you with a flash. ( that can be turned off )

Napalm

« Reply #138 on: 24 May 2010, 05:03 pm »
Ideally I would want to see a BDP-1 that can take an optional DAC board inside. I can live with an external 2.5" HD connected by USB, doesn't take much space and is portable. But if we're contemplating 3 boxes then I would also be looking at the Luxa2 HTPC boxes. It's amazing what you could do with < $1000 and a screwdriver.

nap.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #139 on: 24 May 2010, 05:28 pm »
Oh and an XLR jumper between the the bdp and bda for close proximity from clock to dac.   :thumb: