BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)

Phil A

Re: BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« Reply #100 on: 8 May 2010, 10:30 pm »
That's what's holding me back. If I rip everything to HD there might be a rootkit in a cd I don't know about. Which will eventually make the computer unusable. If it infects a 2 TB drive I would  :bawl:, after the 2 months work to rip everything.

2 months is quick.  Granted, I took selected songs from most CDs (since I put them in WMA lossless and then compress them for my Zune and wanted to make sure I had space on the Zune) but it took me almost a year to put 4,300 songs on a hard drive in between doing everything else.  If I just ripped everything I probably could have done it in a third the time.  But you're absolutely correct in that no one wants to lose lots of work.  It also makes me a little reluctant to buy an expensive digital player.  $2k can buy a lot of software to listen to on the Bryston DAC and have a substantial portion of the quality.

Napalm

« Reply #101 on: 8 May 2010, 11:26 pm »
Wow Nap, can't believe you bag out on Mac and then buy a Sony. Sony are far worse than Mac in being underhanded. Remember the Systems internal rookit fiascol?.

It's not that I didn't try. I got an iPod Nano first. It took me a couple of days to realize that their EQ is flawed and results in severe clipping. Then I found out that it was a very old issue that Apple knew of and couldn't care less. And there was no hope that they will ever fix.  See here:

http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/index.php/t-51747.html

So here goes the Nano back to Futureshop. And my computer gets liberated from iTunes too.

If you want Napalm's review of the two, here it is: out of the box with the included headphones the Sony sounds vastly better. If you replace the headphones with some big cans the Sony still sounds vastly better. They cost about the same. So why feed Steve.

We need a 30 days return policy for CDs too.

Nap.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #102 on: 8 May 2010, 11:33 pm »
That's what's holding me back. If I rip everything to HD there might be a rootkit in a cd I don't know about. Which will eventually make the computer unusable. If it infects a 2 TB drive I would  :bawl:, after the 2 months work to rip everything.

http://www.free-av.de/

1. It's free.
2. It will disable any crap that tries to auto-run from CDs or other external media.

Otherwise you can do it the professional way. Have a cheap computer dedicated to dirty things. Save an image of its hard drive as it comes when brand new. Then do whatever you need to and after it's done re-image the HD.

Mag

« Reply #103 on: 8 May 2010, 11:58 pm »
2 months is quick.  Granted, I took selected songs from most CDs (since I put them in WMA lossless and then compress them for my Zune and wanted to make sure I had space on the Zune) but it took me almost a year to put 4,300 songs on a hard drive in between doing everything else.  If I just ripped everything I probably could have done it in a third the time.  But you're absolutely correct in that no one wants to lose lots of work.  It also makes me a little reluctant to buy an expensive digital player.  $2k can buy a lot of software to listen to on the Bryston DAC and have a substantial portion of the quality.

When I ripped my 300 cd collection to my 200 gig HD. I was at it for 2 straight weeks.It became very tedious after awhile couldn't wait till I was finished. I estimate 1500 cds would take 2 solid months sitting at the computer after work. However that was on a slower older computer.

AGP

« Reply #104 on: 9 May 2010, 12:05 am »

Re: Music Server
« Reply #163 on: Today at 02:58 PM »

* Reply with quoteQuote

Quote from: AGP on Today at 11:43 AM

Hi all,
 I have been following this thread with much interest. :drool:

Question? If you place a complete  album on a thumb drive will it be possible to play the music file directly without a hand-held remote like Itouch etc?

Hi,

We are working on some ideas on that to see what can be done. By the way we changed this thread to the Bryston Digital Music Player as the music server heading is misleading.

james
James Tanner
V/P Bryston

Thanks James

I will have a read and catch up, Maybe you should lock the old thread?

werd

« Reply #105 on: 10 May 2010, 05:50 pm »
Hi james

Will there be any software updates need to the BDA1 so to connect to the BDP1, and if so when will they be available?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #106 on: 10 May 2010, 06:39 pm »
Hi james

Will there be any software updates need to the BDA1 so to connect to the BDP1, and if so when will they be available?

Hi Werd,

No software changes needed.

james

werd

« Reply #107 on: 10 May 2010, 07:14 pm »
Hi james

What will your S/N like, Are you starting from 001?

Lorne

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #108 on: 10 May 2010, 07:17 pm »
Hi james

What will your S/N like, Are you starting from 001?

Lorne

Yes new products we use 6 digits starting at 000001

james

sfraser

« Reply #109 on: 12 May 2010, 09:48 pm »
James, have you had any opportunity to test the BDP playing music via NFS mounts ?

Cheers

Scott

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #110 on: 12 May 2010, 10:10 pm »
James, have you had any opportunity to test the BDP playing music via NFS mounts ?

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

NFS (no friggen sound) mounts?

james

Phil A

« Reply #111 on: 12 May 2010, 10:55 pm »

skunark

« Reply #112 on: 12 May 2010, 11:04 pm »
James,

One of your earlier post about the BDP-1 indicated that would play files from either a USB drive or an NFS mount/fileshare perhaps from a NAS.   I believe in later discussions you've also said that the NAS or fileshare portion might not be there.    (i.e. assuming because not many NAS boxes support NFS these days)

I believe this sums up his question and perhaps answers it as well.

Jim

sfraser

« Reply #113 on: 13 May 2010, 12:06 am »
James,

One of your earlier post about the BDP-1 indicated that would play files from either a USB drive or an NFS mount/fileshare perhaps from a NAS.   I believe in later discussions you've also said that the NAS or fileshare portion might not be there.    (i.e. assuming because not many NAS boxes support NFS these days)

I believe this sums up his question and perhaps answers it as well.

Jim

Yep that would be it, did not see the later post stating it may be delayed.

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2010, 03:11 pm by sfraser »

Napalm

« Reply #114 on: 19 May 2010, 08:23 pm »
Since Werd complained that I'm not active any more in this thread.... here it is, food for thought:

http://www.canadahifi.com/comments.php?id_entry=940

werd

« Reply #115 on: 19 May 2010, 09:09 pm »
Since Werd complained that I'm not active any more in this thread.... here it is, food for thought:

http://www.canadahifi.com/comments.php?id_entry=940

Looks nice but for $3200 i am payng for another computer. Not really interested in storage and clocking in one device. But it looks slick.

Napalm

« Reply #116 on: 22 May 2010, 01:35 am »
Mhhhh I still like the CD format, but according to this, James is right and download is the way to go:

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/236315_the-future-of-digital-and-physical-album-sales-in-the-music-industry

So, what's the status of the BDP????? Any news that could make us  :drool:?

Thanks,
Nap.

whanafi

« Reply #117 on: 22 May 2010, 09:49 am »
Mhhhh I still like the CD format, but according to this, James is right and download is the way to go:

What's to like?

On the fly reading with interpolation and embedded DAC vs. guaranteed source file that doesn't change, and your choice of DAC.

If you want photography and graphics, there is always vinyl...
Or HD Tracks which has the liner notes and photos as part of the download.

Massive numbers of jewel cases to be housed and dusted vs. a hard disk/NAS spinning quietly out of the way.

Time to move on.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 11:43 am by whanafi »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #118 on: 22 May 2010, 11:10 am »
^^^^^

Hi Nap,

BDP-1 - Have 2 prototypes built and boy they sound great even if I do say so myself!  Anyway we are working on some of the suggestions offered by the fine folks on Audiocircle to see if we can satisfy both the Luddites and the Propellerheads :lol:

james

Napalm

« Reply #119 on: 22 May 2010, 03:37 pm »
Luddites -->>>  :drool: