SP Technology Price Reduction

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« on: 28 Oct 2004, 04:12 am »
Everyone,

In response to the “sticker shock” some folks exhibited as a result of our most recent price increase, we have decided to offer an “across the board” price reduction of 25% on our entire product line.  This discounting will be in effect through December 31st, 2004.  All orders placed between now and December 31st will receive this discount.  Our standard 50% down payment will still be in effect.  Also, if you have not been to our website in a while you will want to take note of the fact that we have ended the “No Risk Deal.”  If you are dissatisfied with our products for any reason other than manufacturing defect or shipping damage, you are free to offer your purchase to any acceptable offer from others.  The 5-year warranty is transferable so that should help in the event you find this necessary.

We suspect that many of you that came to hear our rooms at the Rocky Mountain Audiofest may have been considering a purchase pending the results of this audition.  After the rather overwhelming approval of our products resulting from the RMAF, we have little doubt there are those of you that would like to own one of our systems, but now find them a little out of reach.  We want to help with that.  As a sort of “thanks” to everybody that has been following our progress, we are reducing the price of our base models by a rather significant 25%.  We would like to do more but it’s difficult to maintain a business when not producing a profit.  This discount does not apply to upgrade options, which I will list below.  Your final cost will be that of the base model reduced by 25%, plus any upgrades at standard pricing.

Also, to the one or two slightly cynical individuals out there, we will not attempt to misrepresent our motives concerning this price reduction.  The fact is that we could use a few more orders between now and the end of the year.  Nevertheless, those of you that have followed my previous postings here on AC know that we do not believe in the astronomical pricing pollicies employed by some in the industry.  We have lamented for some time over having to raise prices and only did so in order to secure a modest level of profitability.  Although we cannot maintain this price reduction indefinitely, it will help us “over the hump” for the short term while giving you guys (and gals) a break.  We are committed to offering products of high value and intend to demonstrate this further in the near future.  Stay tuned as we hope to offer a more affordable “entry level" product line in the months to come.

If you are interested in taking advantage of this offer, please contact the following dealers:

West Coast Region –-       
Mike Garner of “Cryotweaks”
(626) 826-9819
http://www.cryotweaks.com

Rocky Mountain Region –-
Steve Chang of “Chang Audio Network”
(303) 470-7077

Midwest Region --
Joe Jurzec of “JAM’n Audio”
(847) 356-5161

East Coast Region --      
Bill Baker of “Response Audio”
(607) 785-3440
http://www.responseaudio.com

Europe --
Karsten Elkjaer of “StudioSound”
(+45) 44 54 54 01
http://www.studiosound.dk

If there are no dealers near you, we will be glad to sell factory direct.  The following options are available on all of our speaker systems:

1. Your Choice of Real Wood Veneers  (many exotic species available)

2. High Gloss Finish On Veneer

3. Piano Lacquer Paint/Clearcoat  (in lieu of veneered sides)

4. Cardas Wire and Binding Posts (free on Continuum and Revelation)

5. Auracap or Sonicap Capacitor Upgrade

6. Cryo-Treatment of Wires and Crossover

We believe these discounted prices represent extraordinary value and hope they represent an opportunity for everyone considering our products to own them.  Thanks to all and have a Happy Holiday Season!

Bob Smith
SP Technology Loudspeakers, Inc.
www.4sptech.com

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2004, 08:57 pm »
Dear Friends,

I thought it might be of some value if I were to post the prices of our products at the 25% discount point. (DUH!)  These are the base model prices that include the standard veneers.  They consist of Oak, Red Cherry, Walnut, Maple and Mahogany.  For upgrades you'll have to check with our dealers or the Purchace page of our website as there is just too much info to post here.  I hope this helps. :D

Prices per pair:

Timepiece 2.0 - $4,121

Continuum A.D. - $5,246 (includes free Cardas Upgrade)

Revelation MR-1 - $12,746 (includes free Cardas Upgrade)

Golden Ratio Stands - $937

Foundation Base - $2,096

Thanks and take care...
-Bob

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2004, 09:38 pm »
Bob

This should get the fence sitters off.
Can the stands be filled with sand or other things.

Pete

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2004, 11:00 pm »
If they were $2,700 like they used to be, I would have snatched up a pair already, oh well  :(

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2004, 03:51 am »
AintJoM0mma,

Man, I wish you you would have gotten a pair too.  I can't tell you guys how much I wanted everyone that was interested in our stuff to have a pair at the old prices.  It's just a matter of business necessity when selling through dealers.  Most folks won't take a chance on a direct sales internet company, no matter how good their stuff is.  When you're talking $1K+, most people want to hear/see for themselves.  Hence dealers - hence mark up - hence everybody pays more.  Until we can get warp drive and transporter technology working, I guess that's what we're stuck with.

To be fair to the dealers thoguh, they earn their money.  They have a ton of overhead and take significant finanial risks when they shell out hard$$$ just to have something sit in a box in their stock room - never knowing when it will sell.  I guess you can look at it as buyer insurance.  You know what you're getting when you plunk down your cash.

And SP Tech couldn't be luckier to have the dealers we have working with us.  These guys are the best and I'll tell you something else.  That's the only type of folks we will deal with.  If in the future I ever find one of our dealers not shooting straight with a customer or trying whatever other nonsense that we all know goes on, they won't be carrying our products any longer.  I grew up working in my dad's  little country grocery store and he taught me (amongst many other things) that the customer is always right.  I didn't understand it back then but I do now.  And that's the way it's going to be.

So to all you guys, I sure wish we could do more but we can't stay in business if we don't produce a little profit.  As I said before, stay tuned 'cause we're going to come out with a more affordable product line.  It will use the same waveguide and tweeter - just different woofers and a less complex cabinet construction.  It won't quite be the "Millennial Reference Series" but you can bet it will be close AND it will still out-perform products costing 2&3 times its price!

In the mean time, if you have an extra kid or two you're not finding any use for, maybe you can get a few bucks for them on E-bay and...

Just kidding! :wink:

Take care,
-Bob

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2004, 04:00 am »
PeteG,

Sure can!  Fill them suckers up!  It ain't cheap but you might want to try StarSound's Micro-Bearing Steel.  Every report I've heard is nothing but good about it.  You don't need to fill the whole stand either.  Brent Rheil at StarSound can help you figure out how much you need.

Also, I recommend that whatever air space is left above the filling, that you "stuff" it with polyester pillow stuffing.  That will help prevent any standing waves developing in the air column that would otherwise be left inside. Just a little cheap insurance.

In lieu of the StarSound fill, I'd say the next best (and cheapest thing) would be to use white silica sand.  You can get it at most building supply stores.  It's really clean and pretty dust free.

Hope this helps. :D

-Bob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2004, 04:08 am »
SP Pres (Bob)
It won't quite be the "Millennial Reference Series" but you can bet it will be close AND it will still out-perform products costing 2&3 times its price!
If they will sound "close"...then grab them !!
    Hello Bob...I'm glad I grabbed the TP 2's when I did....great speaker !! Thirty days have flown by....I'm not sending them back !!! Now playing with amps to find the best match...but can't beat the sound...amazing !! When its all settled , I'll post my comments. You did a great job....I'm not getting much sleep.... :lol: [/list:u]Thanks!!
      [/list:u]Chris
        PS...Just thought of this....for the dealers in your network. How about an AudioCircle listening party in their showrooms. A lot of people have not heard your speakers...what better way to get a listen than with some excellent equipement at the dealers showroom. And from your above list of dealers.... good cross-country locations. Just a thought... 8) [/list:u]

reefrus

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2004, 02:45 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
PS...Just thought of this....for the dealers in your network. How about an AudioCircle listening party in their showrooms. A lot of people have not heard your speakers...what better way to get a listen than with some excellent equipement at the dealers showroom. And from your above list of dealers.... good cross-country locations. Just a thought...  

Yes, it's already happening here in Denver. I've been showing the TP 2.0 to both my none-audiophile and audiophile friends whenever I've a chance. It's funny to see their jaws and eyes  :o wide open most of the time. They simply can't believe the performance coming out from an 8" woofer and keep asking "where's your sub".

Quote from: PeteG
Can the stands be filled with sand or other things.

I filled them with white silica sand from home depot(cost me less than $10) with good results. Each side including monitor weigh in app. 130lb. I also have star sound microbearing steel sand sitting around( 5q per stand)but feel no need to switch(too much work). You can hear them later when you come for the Revelation listening party. :D

Karsten

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2004, 03:52 pm »
 Now playing with amps to find the best match...but can't beat the sound...amazing !! When its all settled , I'll post my comments. You did a great job....I'm not getting much sleep.... :lol: [/list]Thanks!!

Chris,

Which amps are you evaluating? Have you tried to mate your TPs with some REALLY powerfull amps yet? This is a lot of fun, the dynamic capabilities of these babies are awesome.

The lack of sleep issue, oh yes been there  :wink:

Karsten

PS Did you get any Yello albums yet? Just bought the entire collection, there are som pretty interesting stuff among.

RooX

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2004, 04:03 pm »
    Quote from: SP Pres
    AintJoM0mma,

Man, I wish you you would have gotten a pair too.  I can't tell you guys how much I wanted everyone that was interested in our stuff to have a pair at the old prices.  It's just a matter of business necessity when selling through dealers.  Most folks won't take a chance on a direct sales internet company, no matter how good their stuff is.  When you're talking $1K+, most people want to hear/see for themselves.  Hence dealers - hence mark up - hence everybody pays more.  Until we can get warp ...

i don't think i have ever heard someone word this type of situation so well.  its amazing how many people dont understand this logic.  Congrats on the dealer network, and congrats on the 25% off marketing drive as well!

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
      • TweekGeek.com
    « Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2004, 04:03 pm »
    I willl be hosting a few Listening sessions shortly after I receive my Timepieces (&  Possibly the Continuums as well )  If you live in SoCal, you're in luck!

Cheers!

shokunin

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2004, 05:40 pm »
    Mike,

Cool.. Let me know when you get your speakers in, I'm definitely in for that Socal  session.

Mad DOg

« Reply #12 on: 1 Nov 2004, 06:11 pm »
    Hi Mike,

Count me in for your listening session, too! :)

PeteG

« Reply #13 on: 1 Nov 2004, 06:38 pm »
    Quote from: RooX
    i don't think i have ever heard someone word this type of situation so well.  its amazing how many people dont understand this logic.  Congrats on the dealer network, and congrats on the 25% off marketing drive as well!

Bob sounds like a very honest man.

Pete

Karsten

« Reply #14 on: 1 Nov 2004, 08:25 pm »
    Quote from: PeteG
    Quote from: RooX

Bob sounds like a very honest man.

Pete

Worth noting is also the fact the both the TPs and Continuums are true referance class speakers, not many of these around at ANY price point!

Raising the prices will always be unpopular despite the fact that the introduction price was pratically a give away.

You will be able to throw a 20-40k USD front end at these speakers, and they will simply grow with the task. Many people use at least half the system budget for speakers...... Food for thoughts :wink:

Brg,
    Karsten

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2004, 05:43 am »
    Quote from: Karsten
     Now playing with amps to find the best match...but can't beat the sound...amazing !! When its all settled , I'll post my comments. You did a great job....I'm not getting much sleep.... :lol: [/list]Thanks!!

Chris,

Which amps are you evaluating? Have you tried to mate your TPs with some REALLY powerfull amps yet? This is a lot of fun, the dynamic capabilities of these babies are awesome.

The lack of sleep issue, oh yes been there  :wink:

K ...
      Hello Karsten,
        I've been playing with the amps I own. Best match has been my Krell KSA-100. Second best is the Craver ZR1600. But I will be trying a few others that have more power. Thinking of Belles, and Butler, and McCormack. Maybe even a Rowland. I also have an AKSA 100N+ that Carlman is building for me now. I may just bi-amp for now. Have not tried that yet. But I enjoy playing around with a lot of equipement. I'm presently checking out preamps...JuicyMusic Blueberry is here now...sounding very good !![/list:u]
          As for Yello...picked up "One Second" cd...very good. And it contains the song "Oh Yeah"....and when I play it....I'm saying...OHHHH YYYEEAAHHH !!! Excellent speakers !!! :hyper: [/list:u]Thanks,
        [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2004, 05:48 am »
        Nice to see some listening parties starting up...the more the merrier. Gotta get some ears listening... 8)

Karsten

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2004, 09:19 am »
        Hello Karsten,
          I've been playing with the amps I own. Best match has been my Krell KSA-100. Second best is the Craver ZR1600. But I will be trying a few others that have more power. Thinking of Belles, and Butler, and McCormack. Maybe even a Rowland. I also have an AKSA 100N+ that Carlman is building for me now. I may just bi-amp for now. Have not tried that yet. But I enjoy playing around with a lot of equipement. I'm presently checking out preamps...JuicyMusic Blueberry is here now...sounding very go ...

Hi Chris,

Only of these amps I have personal experiences with is the Belles. If it is within your budget you should audition the Belles 21A pre and a set of 150A reference in monoblock configuration...Then, hang on to your chair  :D

You should really get Essential Yello as well, most tracks are quite succesfully remixed. I especially like the track "Rythm Divine" featuring Shirley Bassey. It is on your CD as well, but the version on "Essential Yello" is much better.

Karsten

lonewolfny42

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2004, 05:44 am »
        Nice to see some listening parties starting up...the more the merrier. Gotta get some ears listening... 8)
          So....what happened ? I've yet to see a listening session posted ? Just curious......[/list:u]

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
            • TweekGeek.com
          « Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2004, 02:25 pm »
          My Timepieces haven't shipped yet.  Once they arrive I will host a listening session.