BatteryBUSS update!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
BatteryBUSS update!
« on: 19 Apr 2011, 04:53 pm »
The BatteryBUSS has cause quite a stir and I am getting a lot of inquiries about pricing and availability.  Here is the scoop:  I am waiting for the new 2011 MacMini to be released so I can make sure that there will be compatibility with the new MacMini configuration.  This is the best business decision that I can make right now.  The pricing will of course depend upon the final configuration, but is anticipated to be in the $350.00 - $375.00 range for the BatteryBUSS only.  Modifications to the Mac Mini will be done by Mach2.  They should have pricing on that modification in the very near future.

Thank for the interest.  It is really worth the wait!!!

Dave

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: BatteryBUSS update!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:03 pm »
  Here is the scoop:  I am waiting for the new 2011 MacMini to be released so I can make sure that there will be compatibility with the new MacMini configuration.   

Updates to the MacMini are sporadic and unpredictable. It might be in June or a year from now. Apple has always played this game with the MM as its their lowest cost red headed step child. Usually I try not to give advice, but if I were you I'd get it out as soon as possible and adjust accordingly when the time comes. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:13 pm »
Updates to the MacMini are sporadic and unpredictable. It might be in June or a year from now. Apple has always played this game with the MM as its their lowest cost red headed step child. Usually I try not to give advice, but if I were you I'd get it out as soon as possible and adjust accordingly when the time comes.
I understand your position, but I am talking about an investment of more than a few thousand dollars to do this in a cost effective manner to keep the price down to my customers.  If you are willing to pony up $599.00 I'll build you one next week.

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:39 pm »
Allow me.

Why not do a "group buy" on the '10 version for the OP cost?  If you can get enough together and purchase all material that make the price in the $375 range that would work for everyone. 

Just a thought.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:52 pm »
I'm thinking a 12V supply would have much more appeal than just as as it applies to a MacMini. Theres lots of gear that would benefit from this.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:54 pm »
Allow me.

Why not do a "group buy" on the '10 version for the OP cost?  If you can get enough together and purchase all material that make the price in the $375 range that would work for everyone. 

Just a thought.
That is a very good idea.  I just got off of the phone with another AC member that was encouraging me to do exactly that.

I can always count on you to give me good ideas and encouragement when I need it the most.

I'm going to do a new post on a group buy and see if I can generate enough interest to make it all happen.

Thank you, sir.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:55 pm »
I'm thinking a 12V supply would have much more appeal than just as as it applies to a MacMini. Theres lots of gear that would benefit from this.
There is and I'm moving ahead.  See the new topic.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Dave

adhesiv

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2011, 06:29 pm »
One thing that bothers me about these is the hideous battery you have in your room, fully exposed. Is there no way to build in a (user replaceable) battery within the enclosure for a look that better matches other equipment? I don't know about others but the last thing I want in my listening room is a bright red/yellow topped Optima battery looking like it's jump starting my stereo.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2011, 07:05 pm »
One thing that bothers me about these is the hideous battery you have in your room, fully exposed. Is there no way to build in a (user replaceable) battery within the enclosure for a look that better matches other equipment? I don't know about others but the last thing I want in my listening room is a bright red/yellow topped Optima battery looking like it's jump starting my stereo.
Go here and tell me if this will do:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79766.msg898738#msg898738

Randall does amazing work and Jason knows good looking and sounding gear.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2011, 07:12 pm »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: BatteryBUSS update! - First Pictures...
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2011, 05:39 am »
Here are the first pictures taken of the BatteryBUSS.  These are kinda quick and dirty, but will give you all an idea of what is coming.  These show the cabling that will be standard for the group buy.  The small accessory cable shown is a 5V regulated DC cable.  5VRDC is identified by the white heatshrink on the outbut connector.  12VDC outputs will be all black.  6VRDC will have gray heatshrink on the output connector. and 8VRDC will have purple heatshrink on the output connector.  Other voltages are available upon request.  Additional accessory cables will be extra  $$$.

Front panel (outputs) Shown with a Switchcraft 5.5mm X 2.5mm DC power connector (for Mac Mini DC upgrade) on the high current cable and a 3.5mm X 1.3mm connector on the accessory cable for Oyen 5VRDC HDD.

Back panel (12vdc input) The input cabling will come with additional spade lugs, medium size ring terminals and heatshrink so you can install the connectors of your choice.  The ones shown are for full size battery flag connectors.  The On/Off switch is not shown in this picture.

Let me know what you think.  Better pictures and more info is OTW.

Dave
« Last Edit: 8 May 2011, 03:12 pm by dBe »

rogerdn

« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2011, 02:18 pm »
Dave,thks for the pics, pls confirm the plum colored cable is power to the Mach2 mini.  And what is the center (unused) connector used for ?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2011, 02:36 pm »
Will you discuss at all about what's inside?  I see that the unit is in a metal case and not your typical potted MDF enclosure. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2011, 02:37 pm »
Dave,thks for the pics, pls confirm the plum colored cable is power to the Mach2 mini.  And what is the center (unused) connector used for ?
Roger, yes the large diameter cable (actually 14ga copper conductors peeking through the TechFlex) is for the Mac Mini.

All of the conductors in the TinyXLR are used.  Both of the TinyXLR chassis connectors will carry 5VRDC and 12VDC.  The output from each of these will be determined by the cable used.  I chose the 4-pin because it is highly unlikely that anyone will have a mating connector on anything they have that could be plugged into the connector - for whatever reason   :?  .  I'm trying to keep it as safe as possible given that there are no TinyXLR female chassis connectors available like I used for the standard size XLR output.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2011, 02:42 pm »
Will you discuss at all about what's inside?  I see that the unit is in a metal case and not your typical potted MDF enclosure.
Jason, yes - to a point.

There is a noise filtration core to deal with sulfation and other noise from the battery.  A bank of electrolytic and film capacitors.  A reverse current trap to keep bad things from happening.  A circuit breaker that may end up as a manually resettable iexposed type nstead of a thermal reset unit.  Additional noise filters to prevent crosstalk in the unit between the different outputs.  A 5V regulator.  That is what I will admit to being in there.   8)

I'm off to church and it is Mother's   :thankyou:   Day, sooooooooooooooooo........see ya'll later. 

Dave

rogerdn

« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2011, 11:30 pm »
Dave, I'm looking at a battery with spade terminals, are they standardized such that yours would fit ?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2011, 02:31 am »
Dave, I'm looking at a battery with spade terminals, are they standardized such that yours would fit ?
Roger, all of the ones that I have seen are 1/4" terminals and the spades that I am using are #10 X 1/4".  The input cable to the BatteryBUSS is 10ga.

When someone orders the BBUSS, I will terminate the input cable to whatever you wish and include the extra connectors and heat shrink so that they can be changed at a later date.

Same goes for the output terminations.  I can pretty much do whatever the customer wishes as far as connectors go as long as I know the size.

The Mach2 MacMini DC conversion uses a 5.5mmOD X 2.5mmID connector, BTW.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2011, 02:34 am »
A clarification is needed on the 5VRDC out put on the BatteryBUSS.  I am using a 3A regulator that is heatsinked to the chassis.  The 1.5A rating that I have been stating is PER OUTPUT CONNECTOR if both are in use.  If only one of the TinyXLR outputs is used for 5V, then the full 3A is available at that outlet.

I may move up to a 5A unit just for the headroom.

Dave

dmccombs

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2011, 04:19 am »
Well I got to hear the Production version of the Battery Buss tonight and it is terrific.   :thumb:  It is going to be hard to give this unit up, and wait for mine.  I'm going to have to concoct an "abducted by Aliens" story.   :lol:

Rewind...   As many of you know, we at Mach2 Music got to use 2 of the prototype Battery Busses at Axpona.  The sound was excellent with many of the attendees commenting on how quite the noise floor was.  The music had terrific depth, separation, deep bass, tightness, etc.

During our test period we heard good things and very good things.  Dave came up with some ideas to make the "good things" things sound even better, and the Production units have the connections for the hard drives.

Back to the Present:  So tonight we got to hear the Production version.  Everything we heard with the prototypes was there, but the upper midrange area was even cleaner.  We also were also able to put the external hard drive on the battery buss.  This had a big impact as well.  The soundstage got huge, and everything across the board cleaned up.  The scary part is this thing isn't even broken in yet. 

I'd like to write more, but I'm going to go back and do more listening and work on that Aliens story.   :banana piano:

Darrell
www.mach2music.com

rogerdn

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2011, 09:41 pm »
Darrell,

Are you scheduling Mini conversions yet and the cost ?

roger