Bryston BR-4 remote control questions

R. Daneel

Bryston BR-4 remote control questions
« on: 17 Jun 2021, 03:32 pm »
Hello James and/or anyone else who can help!

I have a few questions regarding the BR-4 remote control. I own a BDP-2 digital player and a BDA-2 D/A converter so my questions apply only to these devices:

1. Can I use the BR-4 for basic transport controls of the BDP-2: Play/Stop, Pause, FF/Rew?
2. Can I use the BR-4 to select between all 8 digital inputs on the BDA-2 and to turn On/Off it's Up-Sample function?
3. Would you rather recommend the 'old' BR-2 for these particular devices or can the new BR-4 do everything the BR-2 does?
4. What is the retail price of the BR-4 compared to the BR-2?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers - Antun

gil99

Re: Bryston BR-4 remote control questions
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2021, 12:47 am »
Hi,
Yes to all your question. I use mine with the Bdp-1 & Bda-1.  If I remember the price was $175.00. I believe the BR-2 is now discontinued. The br-4 work very well, really like it. You need to enter a code for your components if it is not working when you receive it. I had to contact them.  A manual is now available I beleive.

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2021, 10:49 am »
Hi,
Yes to all your question. I use mine with the Bdp-1 & Bda-1.  If I remember the price was $175.00. I believe the BR-2 is now discontinued. The br-4 work very well, really like it. You need to enter a code for your components if it is not working when you receive it. I had to contact them.  A manual is now available I beleive.

Hi and thanks for the reply!

That pretty much answers all my questions, thank you!

Cheers - Antun

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2021, 05:39 pm »
Hi,

The BDA-3 has the following buttons: (1) UPSAMPLE, (2) OPTO, (3) HDMI-1, (4) HDMI-2, (5) HDMI-3, (6) HDMI-4, (7) SPDIF-1,  (8) SPDIF-2, (9) EAS, (10) USB-1, (11) USB-2.

The BR-4 remote has the following buttons: (1) UPSAMPLE, (2) OPTO-1, (3) OPTO-2, (4) SPDIF-1, (5) SPDIF-2, (6) SPDIF-3, (7) SPDIF-4, (8) AES, (9) USB.

So, is it possible to program the BR-4 remote to control the BDA-3 buttons?

Also, is it possible to control a CD player from another brand? (mine is an Audiolab).

François

fbny71

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2022, 03:16 pm »

Also, is it possible to control a CD player from another brand? (mine is an Audiolab).

François

I'd love to know the answer to this one as well...anyone?

fbny71

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2024, 12:08 pm »
BR-4 remote will control BDP-Pi without issue? I'm considering getting a BDP-Pi to feed my BDA-3.

HIFI Obsessed

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2024, 03:00 pm »
BR-4 remote will control BDP-Pi without issue? I'm considering getting a BDP-Pi to feed my BDA-3.

I have the Bdp -pi connected to bda-1 dac with the function of the br-4 remote.
however it works when using the cd input enabled on the remote NOT the digital input for some reason.
I currently use the bdp-2 as my every day streamer with the bda-1 with the digital input enabled and works fine.

Im still having this issue with BDP-2 and BDA-1
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=188245.0

fbny71

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2024, 05:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply! I've been wanting a BDP-Pi but not if id didn't work with my BR4 remote. Looks like one might be in my future!

Jozsef

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2024, 06:20 am »

I'm still having this issue with BDP-2 and BDA-1
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=188245.0
That seems to be a bug, as I have similar behavior with my BDA-1 and BDP-2. Pressing 3 on the BR-4 immediately turns the BDP-2 power LED to black and it then needs to be unplugged before it will turn on. They know about it so we are going to find out what might be possible to address the issue one of these days.

I'm going to pull out the BDP-1 and see if that also shuts off from 3 on the BR-4.

HIFI Obsessed

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2024, 01:06 pm »
Thanks for the reply! I've been wanting a BDP-Pi but not if id didn't work with my BR4 remote. Looks like one might be in my future!

I have mine in Silver for sale if your interested .
Pm me

fbny71

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2024, 03:37 pm »
Thanks, but I’d be looking for a black one. GLWTS

Jozsef

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2024, 04:22 am »
An update. As has been established, when the BDA-1 and BDP-2 are used together, if the input 3 button on the BR-4 is depressed, it results in the BDP-2 locking up. It then has to be unplugged to work again. When the BDP-1 is used with the BDA-1, no such problem occurs.

Was a bug introduced in the BDP-2 that is also present in the later BDP-3? I have no idea. Since input 3 is Optical 2, I'm sure many people will not need that and will not have a problem as long as they keep away from input 3 on the BR-4. This is an unfortunate, although rather minor, nuisance since the BDP-2 is the sonic equivalent of the BDP-3 even if the latter is a significantly more powerful computer. Some of us don't need that power since we only play local files and would be happy to stay with the older unit for as long as possible.

And what happens when a BR-2 is used?  I don't know.

The obvious question is, can Bryston justify fixing a flaw in such old units. I can only hope it's not too difficult to do and the answer will be yes. I'm really fond of the thing. :wink: