Driver effeciency

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Driver effeciency
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2022, 08:46 am »
I built these out of drivers I ended up with in trade and scraps from other jobs. TB 1808 and a big Radian 18" woofer in a couple of different configurations.
What are your impressions on sound quality on this Radian 18 woofer?

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
Re: Driver effeciency
« Reply #21 on: 14 Mar 2022, 04:25 pm »
What are your impressions on sound quality on this Radian 18 woofer?

I had a lot of things going on at that time and didn’t really spend enough time with it to really optimize it.

It was a beautifully built driver but I never really got any decent bass out of it. As I recall the fs as not very low and the qts. was maybe a little too low for OB. Also I think the plate amps I was using at the time just weren’t  up for the task.

On the ash speakers shown there wasn’t enough baffle reinforcement, the bamboo speakers were marginally better.

To be perfectly frank the TB 1808 was not one of my favorite full range drivers. I’ve used a lot of FR over the years and it was pretty low on the list. The cone seemed really thick IIRC so they were not particularly fast or detailed. This was some years back so I’m going by distant memory.

I sold the bamboo ones to a young pot farmer and budding audiophile and I think he still has them.

Mike