Any strategies on how to network a Teac UD-501?

srb

Re: Any strategies on how to network a Teac UD-501?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2013, 08:23 pm »
I still don't get it.
How does "transmitting to the network via wifi" negatively affect a hardwired device chain?
In any case how am I going to use the controller without wifi ???

I think they're saying that if the Mini was Ethernet hard wired to a wireless router and the smartphone was communicating with the wireless router, there would be no wireless transmission to or from the Mini somehow causing internal noise or interference.

In theory it's better, but you can only pick so many nits, and I'm guessing you might be hard pressed to detect any actual sonic difference.  But you have a router, so you can compare and let us know if you do.

Steve

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2013, 08:34 pm »
I still don't get it.
How does "transmitting to the network via wifi" negatively affect a hardwired device chain?

The Mac Mini will be your music server (the goal is a delicate and quiet instrument of music delivery).  It should not have bluetooth or wifi turned on, as they broadcast and/or radiates noise to your DAC and your external hard drives full of music. 

In any case how am I going to use the controller without wifi ???

The way the rest of us do...via a home LAN.  Get a $40 gigabit wifi router, put it in the next room, connect a $10 Cat 6 ethernet cable from it to the MAc Mini.  Then tell the ipad or whatever wifi remote tablet/device you are using via wifi to find the router!  The Mac Mini is not involved, except to be on the same wired LAN (so the ipad can browse its music).  And the Mac Mini is WAYYY quieter, has no broadcast radio stations emanating, and can do its job.

Make sense?  :)

bachiano

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2013, 08:53 pm »
Thanks guys. I get it now.

I understand Ted's purist methodology and Steve's pragmatic approach.

Greatly appreciate you guys helping to clarify my thinking.

Cheers
Bachiano