New AppleTV as transport

jsalk

Re: New AppleTV as transport
« Reply #20 on: 2 Sep 2010, 12:55 pm »
Question...

Could you use an iPod with the USB port on an SB Touch?  I've never tried this but it might work for those who have an extensive music collection on an iPod.  Just curious.

- Jim

mchuckp

« Reply #21 on: 2 Sep 2010, 02:23 pm »
The problem is that if you have a reasonably large music collection and lossless, you won't be able to get all your music on your iPod/touch.  To me, that's a significant detriment.  I have all my music ripped to one large drive in my "server" computer, and I can access all of it at any time.  I also have an iPod, but use highly compressed music on it, so that I have my entire collection on there.  I listen to it in the car and for non-critical listening.

Exactly.  I love my iPod but it isn't big enough for me to use a true music server.  My solution has been to keep 2 iTunes libraries.  One that is compressed and one that is uncompressed.  Compressed feeds my iPod/iPhone.  The uncompressed feeds my SB Touch.  If I get unsupported files that I cannot put into iTunes, I simply drop it in my iTunes folder manually.  iTunes doesn't see it, but my SB still does.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #22 on: 2 Sep 2010, 02:40 pm »
The problem is that if you have a reasonably large music collection and lossless, you won't be able to get all your music on your iPod/touch.  To me, that's a significant detriment.  I have all my music ripped to one large drive in my "server" computer, and I can access all of it at any time.  I also have an iPod, but use highly compressed music on it, so that I have my entire collection on there.  I listen to it in the car and for non-critical listening.
totally agree; as I understand --to run uncompressed files thru new ATV, you need a computer or a storage, as there is not enough memory on an Ipad/pod/phone.

As for  differences between AIFF and Hi-Rez files, so far I could not hear it( digital out to AVA Insight+ DAC from either Macbookpro (WAV) or appletv (AIFF)).  I do not see any reason to switch to WAF or FLAC from AIFF. there were a number of discussions at AC including blind tests hi-rez vs redbook, and as i remember the results are random.
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2010, 04:05 pm by Art_Chicago »

srb

« Reply #23 on: 2 Sep 2010, 03:57 pm »
My solution has been to keep 2 iTunes libraries.  One that is compressed and one that is uncompressed.

iTunes now has a checkbox option to "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128kbps AAC" for synchronization to an iPod.  It is located on the Summary tab when the iPod is connected.  This would avoid having to maintain two separate libraries.

As for  differences between AIFF and Hi-Rez files, so far I could not hear it (digital out to AVA Insight+ DAC from either Macbookpro (WAF) or appletv (AIFF)).

When you say WAF, are you referring to WAV files?  I use WAV files, but I can't say I hear a difference between WAV, AIFF and Apple Lossless.  But I would think you might be able to hear an improvement with a high-resolution file (24-bit / 96KHz or higher) over a 16-bit / 44.1KHz Redbook file, if the high-res file is truly high-res and not simply an upsampled Redbook file.

As far as the new Apple TV, I can't find any specs one way or the other, but I assumed it downsampled everything to a maximum of 16-bit / 48KHz, just like the existing Apple TV and Airport Express, so listening to the output of the ATV may not be a valid comparison test.

Steve

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #24 on: 2 Sep 2010, 04:04 pm »
I do not see any reason to switch to WAV or FLAC from AIFF.

WAV & AIFF are, as i understand, essentially the same format.

dave

Art_Chicago

« Reply #25 on: 2 Sep 2010, 04:31 pm »
WAV & AIFF are, as i understand, essentially the same format.

dave
you are right, I meant to say I run hi-rez FLAC using a plugin  or a converter as mac does not support flac. I downloaded the hi-rez flac from hdtracks and then converted the file using a plugin ( do not remeber which one). I will double check tonight how it is done as it was about year ago since I did it.

sarge_in

« Reply #26 on: 2 Sep 2010, 05:19 pm »
I just picked up a small 2.5" USB hard drive (less than a pound) that is only slightly larger than my iPod Touch.  I rip music and and transfer it to the hard drive as well.  Not much different in terms of effort.  I can then plug the hard drive into the touch and don't need a dedicated music server (although I still use one). 

- Jim

Cool!  What about playlists from songs on the hard drive?  How easy is it to create those?  Also, can you create automated playlists from the USB hard drive songs using tags (artist, genre, year etc), and more important to me, ratings? Most of my listening is through automated playlists via iTunes, so integration with iTunes playlists - while not having to run a SB server - is important to me.

lcrim

« Reply #27 on: 2 Sep 2010, 05:48 pm »
While this is completely off-topic, using the small server onboard the Touch provides the worst usage and quality of playback from the device.  The amount of resources available using the Touch in this fashion may take quite some time to acquire the music files and to set up playlists.
Using the Touch wired and running SBS on a remote PC provides the best listening and usage scenario.

Each device being discussed in this thread has different strengths.  IMO, the Touch provides the best cost to sound quality tradeoff when done properly.

Nuance

« Reply #28 on: 2 Sep 2010, 06:49 pm »

I had completely forgotten about the lack of FLAC support.  Not thanks Apple, you are still making yourself fail with having to control every little thing.
Agreed.  They try to control everything, charge way too much and cannot even put out a fully functional product; iPhone 4 is a good example.  They also don't admit when they make mistakes.  No Apple for me; not yet anyway.

Jim, which Android phone did you get?  I use Squeeze Commander with my Droid to control my Sqeezebox and it works flawlessly, for what its worth.

mchuckp

« Reply #29 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:15 pm »
Agreed.  They try to control everything, charge way too much and cannot even put out a fully functional product; iPhone 4 is a good example.  They also don't admit when they make mistakes.  No Apple for me; not yet anyway.

Jim, which Android phone did you get?  I use Squeeze Commander with my Droid to control my Sqeezebox and it works flawlessly, for what its worth.

Yep Apple has some controlling tactics in their business plan.  Won't argue that.  But for me I like stuff that just WORKS.  I've dealt with way too much crap in PC land for many years.  I've gone mac and will never own another PC again.  Drives me crazy that I have use a PC at work and deal with the constant updates, crashes, and general slowness.  To each their own.  But this is off topic.

mchuckp

« Reply #30 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:17 pm »
Cool!  What about playlists from songs on the hard drive?  How easy is it to create those?  Also, can you create automated playlists from the USB hard drive songs using tags (artist, genre, year etc), and more important to me, ratings? Most of my listening is through automated playlists via iTunes, so integration with iTunes playlists - while not having to run a SB server - is important to me.

If you are referring to the SB Touch, it will bring in your Playlists from iTunes.  I know there is a way to make your own playlists on the Touch itself but I have not done it.

If you are referring to the ATV, it simply brings in everything you have in iTunes that you opt to sync.

mchuckp

« Reply #31 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:19 pm »

iTunes now has a checkbox option to "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128kbps AAC" for synchronization to an iPod.  It is located on the Summary tab when the iPod is connected.  This would avoid having to maintain two separate libraries.

I've heard this is VERY slow for it to do these conversions.  Plus it only does that at 128 AAC I believe.  I find it easier just to rip twice.  Once in AppleLossless for my music server and the other in 256 AAC for my iPod.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #32 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:25 pm »
Yep Apple has some controlling tactics in their business plan.  Won't argue that.  But for me I like stuff that just WORKS.  I've dealt with way too much crap in PC land for many years.  I've gone mac and will never own another PC again.  Drives me crazy that I have use a PC at work and deal with the constant updates, crashes, and general slowness.  To each their own.  But this is off topic.

+1
I have to use a PC at work, but prefer my mac on my free time.
Nuance, please enlighten me regarding a non-functional Iphone4? Unles you are referring to the the drop of the signal if the antena elements are conected with left hand, I am suprised. That problem, btw, is common for most of the smartphones (according to apple  :))

sarge_in

« Reply #33 on: 2 Sep 2010, 08:11 pm »
If you are referring to the SB Touch, it will bring in your Playlists from iTunes.  I know there is a way to make your own playlists on the Touch itself but I have not done it.

If you are referring to the ATV, it simply brings in everything you have in iTunes that you opt to sync.

I am referring to SB using songs stored on a USB hard drive (not on the computer running SB server). Can it make auto playlists from that using tags?

lcrim

« Reply #34 on: 2 Sep 2010, 08:28 pm »
sarge:
I just posted that it could make playlists but it will take some time for this and also acquiring the music files. There are only limited resources available on the small local server as I stated above.

sarge_in

« Reply #35 on: 2 Sep 2010, 08:33 pm »
+1
I have to use a PC at work, but prefer my mac on my free time.
Nuance, please enlighten me regarding a non-functional Iphone4? Unles you are referring to the the drop of the signal if the antena elements are conected with left hand, I am suprised. That problem, btw, is common for most of the smartphones (according to apple  :))

While I have not yet made the leap to Mac (just wary of s/w that may not be usable on Mac, actually not sure how many of that I use are there), Apple sure makes usability a key aspect of their products and few products come close to replicating its ease and usability.  iPod / iPhone 3GS are products that once I used them I pretty much shut my eyes to anything not from Apple subsystem. Yes they are not perfect, but they are the closest of all there is out there (at least by the criteria important to me). Usability across products is EXTREMELY helpful, so I don't have to manage different things in different ways. Same itunes playlists are available on all products seamlessly, so I dont have to create different versions for computer / ipod / iphone / ipod for car.  As people have noted, it just works.

Sonos is the only other product I have encountered so far that seems to get it. It just works. While I was setting it up, my wife was quite wary of everything wireless. In 2 days of usage, she was a convert. Small attention to details set it apart from SB from what I have read. E.g. if I have 3 zones in the house, it is very easy to link them to play same song across all zones. SB is not difficult - maybe just 2-3 clicks more, but Sonos is just easier. SB is known not to have completely synced music across zones, Sonos is perfect. If you want to change volume of all three zones, in SB you have to go to each zone separately and change it; in Sonos it is available in one screen. How much of a premium one is willing to pay for such things is of course a personal preference, but over the years I have gone from tinkering with everything to using products that just let me enjoy what I want when I want.

Now back to waiting for the SongTowers :)

sarge_in

« Reply #36 on: 2 Sep 2010, 08:36 pm »
sarge:
I just posted that it could make playlists but it will take some time for this and also acquiring the music files. There are only limited resources available on the small local server as I stated above.

Ah ok - thanks lcrim!  And it can pick tags from the songs to make automated playlists too? What about ratings, can I rate songs and create playlists based off of that? How do I do that?

lcrim

« Reply #37 on: 2 Sep 2010, 09:09 pm »
sarge:
Here's a resource for you. http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
You'll have to join the forum to directly ask your questions. Some USB HD's are not even recognized by the TinyServer onboard the Touch.  This functionality is not the strongest part of the Touch.  I use my 2 Touches wired w/ an older laptop located elsewhere for noise isolation w/ several USB HD connected to that laptop for music storage.
Lots of information on that forum.

jsalk

« Reply #38 on: 2 Sep 2010, 09:43 pm »

I got the HTC Evo 4G.  I wanted something I could use to tether a notebook to while on the road.  I got that working with 3G and did a net speed test.  It was actually faster than the DSL line in our shop!  Too bad we don't have 4G service here yet.  When we do, I may just get rid of my home cable modem and shop DSL line.  With the Evo, you can use it as a hotspot and connect up to eight devices.

I'll check out Squeeze Commander soon.

- Jim

mattyturner

« Reply #39 on: 2 Sep 2010, 10:52 pm »
No data caps with that sharing plan?!