Near Field Amplification

MLS

Near Field Amplification
« on: 16 May 2010, 01:42 am »
My computer set up currently consists of a Laptop and Sony XDR-F1HD tuner as the source to Maverick D1 to a modified Accurian amp (25 wpc) to modified Insignia NS B2111 bookshelf speakers and a cheap Aiwa subwoofer. 

I am wondering what you guys think may be an cheap and cheerful upgrade to the amplification portion of my computer rig as a secondary system. I have my main rig in the same room which is pretty much done so this is my play around with gig.

I am not opposed to a cheap and cheerful PP tube amp or even a Class D amp. 

Ultimately I would like to upgrade to a pair of DIY monitors or a pair of Totem Mites and upgrade to a DIY sub .

Scott

ltr317

Re: Near Field Amplification
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2010, 02:53 am »
How you considered a Virtue One amp.  I have their ICEBlock monos and Sensation M451 stereo chip amps on loan.  I just wrote a review of the ICEBlock monos here on AC. 

PSB Guy

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2010, 04:40 pm »
+1 on the Virtue One (or One.2). I have used both the One and the Sensation in a near field arrangement using a computer as the source. Even with the stock power supply (24v/65w), the virtue amps put out 30+ watts per channel, and they can drive any speaker load from 2 to 16 ohms. I still have both of mine, they beat any other tube or transistor amp, even at many times their cost. You have the option to upgrade the power supply to one more powerful, or even something high current like a linear supply or batteries, and these amp will sound even sweeter and more powerful. Plus they have that magic Tripath sound, very tube-like, but with power in the low end and no rolled-off highs. Yeah, I'm a fan...

MLS

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2010, 10:43 pm »
I like the Virtue Audio stuff and that would be a cool amp, however I am looking for a cheap and cheerful straight two channel amp to go with the gear I am currently running.

Scott

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2010, 11:04 pm »
Just a thought-how about bi-amped nearfield monitors, I use an old set of Event TR5's with my laptop and love the setup. You have the Maverick for DAC duty, take the pre-outs to some self powered monitors and boom. I think Audioengine's are getting positive reviews..just a thought.
 Ooops..sorry I misread your post, I didn't see the amp part..nevermind..

bunnyma357

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2010, 11:25 pm »
I use a Yaqin MC-10L for this application, but I think a used Melody/Onix SP3 would also be a better choice - they generally go for $350-600 depending on condition & tubes. Main drawbacks are that they are fairly big compared to something like the Virtue, they put out a lot of heat, and if you get hooked on tube rolling it can add up.

Vendor I bought my Yaqin from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/YAQIN-MC-10L-Push-Pull-Integrated-Stereo-Tube-Amplifier-/130391994806?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1e5bf7f1b6

Old SP3 classified ad:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68910.0

Jim C

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2010, 12:11 am »
What is your budget, power need, preferences, size etc?

Mariusz

MLS

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2010, 01:08 am »
Budget is limited to keeping with the cheep and cheerful theme.  I am not quite sure how much power I really need for near field listening.  I am thinking the small ClassD amp might do or a small PP DIY tube amp like the Tubelab simple PP or one of the S5 tube amp kits or even a chip amp like the Virtue previously mentioned.  I am looking for some one with experience in near field listening to say you need this amount of power from this amp or this amount of power from this type amp.  I know I don't need a 200wpc amp for this but what do I really need?

Thanks,

Scott

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2010, 02:40 am »
Here is my 2c

- Audioengine powered desktop speakers 2s or 5s.

or

look into some diy speakers and amp solutions.

There is this diy kit - T-amp with tube buffer but I haven't heard this amp in action (Blair of Nightshade Audio is building it for me but it isn't finished yet)
There is a thread started about that kit in the Lab if you're interested.

If your are into tube amps or want to try some,... there are few chinese cheapies to choose from or already mentioned in your post - diy kit alternatives. 

From personal experience single driver speakers work great in that application.
(fostex, omega, jordan,audio nirvana)

I have used all of the above mentioned drivers in near-field setup and they are all extremely easy to drive (except Jordans - 15wpc minimum for near-field listening).

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2010, 01:32 am »
Scott- I've been around nearfields for quite awhile and I really don't think you can just say-get xyz power or xyz amp. Every set I've owned generally are 2 way bi-amped with minimum of 50W per driver, if you check out some pro-audio nearfield gear I'm sure you can dial something in. Mariusz suggested the Audioengine stuff which is real nice, you got KRK monitors that many cats swear by, Event,--here is a link to a place I've used in the past, they have great customer service guys, most are musicians etc..
http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors
Give them a ring!!

Personally I want some of these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR2325P/

and a buying guide:
http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/studio-monitors/buying-guide.php