BDP-2 Digital Player

SGK

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #280 on: 16 Feb 2013, 05:52 pm »
Thanks for the second link.  The use of an ASRC in the DAC would seem to negate the need for concern regarding jitter at the source device.

I found his main presentation just as fascinating, for its insights into just how sophisticated our hearing is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CkyrDIGzOE

Samurai7595

« Reply #281 on: 16 Feb 2013, 09:20 pm »
I received my BDP-2 and BDA-2 on Friday.  Very beautiful and heavy units!  :thumb:

Within a few minutes, I was lisening to the sample music files on the included Bryston USB stick.   :D

Q1. What is the default username & password for the BDP-2 built-in Bryston software (via iPad Mini -> Safari) in order to access the Settings?

Q2. What are the procedures for configuring / streaming radio on the BDP-2 (if that's possible)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #282 on: 16 Feb 2013, 09:27 pm »
I received my BDP-2 and BDA-2 on Friday.  Very beautiful and heavy units!  :thumb:

Within a few minutes, I was lisening to the sample music files on the included Bryston USB stick.   :D

Q1. What is the default username & password for the BDP-2 built-in Bryston software (via iPad Mini -> Safari) in order to access the Settings?

Q2. What are the procedures for configuring / streaming radio on the BDP-2 (if that's possible)?

The default user and password are both - bryston.   Case sensitive

James

darrrio

« Reply #283 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:44 am »
We can output DSD via the USB ports on the back of the BDP and another one of our more senior engineers, Dan is working on givin the BDA-2 async DSD USB in via a software update for the BDA-2.  Also due to the hype of DSD a protocol has been developed to wrap PCM around DSD so that PCM devices can play DSD files. The thin I don't get it where do you get DSD files from (besides SACD a format that never took off)? 

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,
I'm new here and I have no experience in posting questions. I hope I'm doing it right.
I'm enjoying the BDP-2 USB output connected to my DAC asynchronous input very much, but I couldn't play my DSD music because the .dff files are not recognized by the player. By now I'm using the BDP-2 for my PCM library, only, and I play DSD files on Audirvana. I really like your player and I hope to move my macbook away from the audio system, soon. In my opinion, nothing sounds as good as DSD files specially on my DAC.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes!
Dario

PS: I'm running S1.65 2013-01-30 firmware on my BDP-2.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2013, 03:24 am by darrrio »

saveloy

« Reply #284 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:57 pm »
James,

Given what you've said about USB, will this be the connection of choice between BDP-2 & BDA-2?

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #285 on: 18 Feb 2013, 01:22 pm »
James,

Given what you've said about USB, will this be the connection of choice between BDP-2 & BDA-2?

Kyri

No - just another option for our customers - I am really interested in what people think of the difference between the two.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #286 on: 18 Feb 2013, 07:20 pm »

Hi,

Just below max 2, settings and mini 2 is a drop down menu.  In this drop down menu are several options, one of which is bRadio.  This web app will allow you to select from a list of radio stations.  Currently there is a display issue with Firefox, google chrome and apple safari are the two re emended browsers at this time.  The Firefox issue has been repaired in an unreleased build and is due later this month with added last.fm support and scribble.

Cheers,
Chris

Vipers

« Reply #287 on: 19 Feb 2013, 08:36 pm »
Hi Guys,

I heard from PMC yesterday that I will be getting delivery for both my BDP-2 and BDA-2 tomorrow, I really can't wait :)

I'm really excited about the possibility of fitting an internal SSD drive and then going asynchronously via USB from the BDP-2 to the BDA-2 as in theory this should be the perfect solution with no moving parts involved at all and by-passing the sound card in the BDP-2, well I hope I've got that right :|

Quick question James, will the following SSD drive be ok and do I need to buy any other cables or will the drive plug straight in?

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT512M4SSD2

If there is anyone around at the weekend I've got a few Bryston guys coming over Saturday for a preview of the BDP-2/BDA-2 before our first Bryston/PMC owners club next month, the more the merrier :)

SGK

« Reply #288 on: 19 Feb 2013, 08:47 pm »

I'm really excited about the possibility of fitting an internal SSD drive and then going asynchronously via USB from the BDP-2 to the BDA-2 as in theory this should be the perfect solution with no moving parts involved at all and by-passing the sound card in the BDP-2, well I hope I've got that right :|

Not to blow your popsicle but that would be about the most expensive way to use USB I could think of.  You're tossing out a lot of the mojo.

Vipers

« Reply #289 on: 19 Feb 2013, 08:56 pm »
Not to blow your popsicle but that would be about the most expensive way to use USB I could think of.  You're tossing out a lot of the mojo.

I know that it is quite an extravagance but as I'll be demoing it in my shop I want to be able to show all the options, saying that, even if it was for my home system I would still want to explore this possibility as In theory it should offer the most direct path for the signal, the purest route if you like, whether we hear any difference is another matter though.

SGK

« Reply #290 on: 19 Feb 2013, 09:04 pm »
Hmmm...I have a lot to learn regarding this stuff but I remain unconvinced of this last statement unless it involved and i2S solution and very good motherboard clocks (not the ones in the BDP). I will happily be corrected!  Let's see how the conversation develops here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113691.20

Vipers

« Reply #291 on: 20 Feb 2013, 11:01 am »
I hear what you are saying SGK, but I do like to test this kind thing before making a decision as I have found out many times with HiFi that the theory points to one thing but in practise the results can be very different. I'll let you know what we find out.

Both my BDP-2 and BDA-2 have just arrived so I need to pull myself away from this PC and go and have a play :)

Vipers

« Reply #292 on: 27 Feb 2013, 08:47 am »
It's certainly a bit of a shocker but yesterday was the first chance I've had to get my BDP-2 and BDA-2 un-boxed but at least yesterday my solid state drive arrived also, so I've just finished formatting it and am now putting a selection of music onto it then I will install that and all being well this afternoon I'll be able to sit back and enjoy :)

I can never resist taking  a few pictures :roll:

Blueshirt1

« Reply #293 on: 28 Feb 2013, 04:58 am »
Just ordered my BDP2....can't wait.

SGK

« Reply #294 on: 28 Feb 2013, 11:33 am »
Vipers, we need to get you a better camera or a tripod   :D  :D

How about some pics with the lid off?

Alpha10

« Reply #295 on: 28 Feb 2013, 11:44 am »

Or he can bring them round to my house, I have both a decent camera with tripod and I am more than happy to take the lid off... :D :D

Cheers

Vipers

« Reply #296 on: 1 Mar 2013, 05:00 pm »

No Sooner said than done, I'm just updating the firmware as I write this, I love how easy it is now, just one click from the settings screen on the Ipad and off it went, superb.

Still haven't listened to it yet though, I was scuppered by not having a torx screwdriver to remove the casework and install the SSD :duh:

All sorted now, I've got a customer here at the moment then I'm going to lock the door and have a play, I promise.

Never one to resist a photo opportunity here are a couple of snaps of the inside of the BDP-2 whilst I was installing the SSD, I like the Bryston branded circuit boards :)

Vipers

« Reply #297 on: 2 Mar 2013, 09:29 am »
At long last I got to spend a good couple of hours last night with the BDP-2 and BDA-2, I haven’ compared with the original versions yet, I’ve got someone coming in today who wants to try this so we will report back later.

Basically I compared an attached HDD to the internal SSD with the same rips and also AES vs USB from the BDP-2 into the BDA-2, so with the USB connection you are by-passing the sound card in the BDP-2.

Firstly, as expected, reading from a SSD is definitely superior to reading from a HDD with moving parts, you just get a much tighter, cleaner presentation, it is much the same as reading from a USB thumb Drive in reality but it is just a fantastic option to be able to install a large drive internally and access it over the network, I found that 500GB has easily taken all the music I want to listen to at the moment but in the future a 1TB drive will be perfect.

Then I compared the AES-EBU against USB, firstly both sounded pretty amazing but I was constantly drawn to the USB connection, to me it just sounded a little more focused and refined, on the trailing edge of notes there seemed less overhang with everything gaining a little more space, we are only talking small margins here but on every track I tried USB seemed go give the most pleasing presentation, it actually seemed more noticeable on busier tracks like rock or recordings that were not the best. I guess this would make sense really as via USB the data is being transferred directly to DAC with nothing else getting in the way.

Either way though, the combination of the BDP-2/BDA-2 is a pretty stunning combination :thumb:

terrycym

« Reply #298 on: 2 Mar 2013, 10:28 am »
I guess the next question would be trying different USB cables between the BDP and BDA

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #299 on: 2 Mar 2013, 05:55 pm »
I guess the next question would be trying different USB cables between the BDP and BDA

Will not make a bit of difference between two digital devices