Anyone compared Auggies to GR Research OB woofers?

sfdoddsy

Re: Anyone compared Auggies to GR Research OB woofers?
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:27 am »
For those with the baffle width, the above would be one cool driver. Assuming the Xmax was similar to the 12", one of those would give the same output down low as two of the smaller drivers, with servo control icing on the cake.

I suspect there might be a market for them for those who are currently stacking the 12" servo OBs or using three a side.

If you did a W-Frame laid on its side to match the width of your Super Vs you would also have the dynamic capability on deep bass to match the rest of the frequency response.

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:38 am »
A 450mm baffle isn't that wide, you get used it to it quickly.

gooberdude

« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:05 am »
An option i'm considering is a diy Super V design, but using the 15" Sterling co-ax in the short run until funds allow for the P Audio co-ax.

A 17" wide baffle would be needed up top for the Sterling whereas (using Danny's ob 12's) the lower portion would only need to be 13".  There are several ways to make it all blend & look right, but i don't think the extra 4" will hurt sonics. My current ob baffles are 22" wide.

My system now is essentially (4) 15" woofers, with no speaker grilles.  Yeah, you get used to 'em!     :lol:

Lazz

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2011, 05:50 pm »
hi goober, whats the reason for the change from the 4 15inch woofers.

gooberdude

« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm »
A few years back I jumped head first into OB because I was living in condo bldgs, with neighbor's just a partition wall away.  At that time, Hawthorne Audio was one of the mfgrs dedicated to ob...especially reasonably priced open baffle designs & a forum dedicated to diy (for the most part). 

Unfortunately, I relocated & my gear spent much of the last 2 yrs in storage. During this period, I joined the local audio club, GAS, and had opportunity to hear difft systems.  Boxed bass still interests me, even though my current living situation still won't allow for typical subwoofers.

Well, during my hiatus from the hobby GR Research developed ob servo subs.  Back when i was in highschool I had a Yamaha servo sub...so I know the technology isn't new.  But, what I just recently learned is that applying it to ob is somewhat new & if you read into GR's subs they play low...much lower than most ob woofers including my Hawthorne 15" auggie's.

I'm looking for deep bass, and all the octaves, but with a full open baffle speaker system.

My new home is larger than any before with space to have 2 or 3 difft systems in place. Even if I go the gr route, with their servo woofers or even the Super V speaker design, i'll still keep the Hawthorne Sterlings & Auggie's...and maybe design a nice home theatre system.  I also have a set of Hawthorne's Silver Iris 15" co-axs that could be killer rear channels, or the basis for a center channel.

GR's ob subs can play up high, up to 200hz or so, whereas the Sterling co-axs play down to the mid-30's.  If i go with the servo subs, it would be fitting to get a midrange set up that caters to the servo subs capabilities.

matt

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 26 Aug 2011, 12:29 am »
Matt, that massive loft apartment you have is screaming for IB.  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2011, 12:40 am »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM IB

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 26 Aug 2011, 12:44 am »
BINGO.  8)

gooberdude

« Reply #28 on: 26 Aug 2011, 04:34 am »
It would so much fun to build a bass system into this place, but i don't see it occurring. 

None of the rooms in my loft have complete walls, or are fully enclosed.  Each bedroom has an 8' tall wall, with 15' ceilings, for example. And I have neighbors who, to date, haven't said a thing about my music.   :D

it might be possible to install something discreet in the enclosed airspace above my bathroom, which sits between the 2 bedrooms, about 40' from my LR. This would be for a 2nd system though i think...the space is 5'Tx25'deepx15'wide. Bob wants to install a TL enclosure the size of a kids playground slide in the space.

An idea I toyed with a few months ago was to put a few woofers in IB in kitchen pantry, which is in the same room as the main system.  Bob, always the voice of reason, explained that by slamming the pantry door hard it could blow out the woofers suspension...and so the dream died. 

matt

Mick35

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2011, 01:36 am »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2011, 02:48 am »
Vivaldi's collection of violin concertos called "The 4 seasons".  Of all the ones out there, the Concerto Italiano with Alessandrini leading them is THE version to have - great sound quality and dynamite playing:

studiotech

« Reply #32 on: 25 Oct 2011, 03:50 am »
Since you are looking for deep bass and open baffle, get the GR Research and be done with.  They are killer!

Greg

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm »
Thank you Tyson!  :thumb: