Ordering TP Minis

Goosepond

• Virna!
Ordering TP Minis
« on: 16 Jan 2008, 03:58 pm »
I'm not having a whole lot of success ordering a pair of Bob's new speakers. My emails keep getting returned as undeliverable. I've tried going through the link at Audiogon and also starting from the SP Tech website which eventually gets me back to Audiogon again.

Both emails are being sent to sales@4sptech.com

Anyone have a better idea?

Bob?

Thanks,

Gene

mcullinan

Re: Ordering TP Minis
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2008, 04:02 pm »
Try engineering10@4sptech.com
If it says it failed or gets kicked back it most likely made it to Bob, his ISP blows and theres somethin funkified with it. Also give hime time to respond, as in a couple days... I think he may be under the weather, not sure
Mike

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2008, 04:05 pm »
Try sending from a different email address, if you have one. Or just give it a day or two, could be full mailbox or something screwy at SP's host. AC's PM system is reliable, and probably sends a message notification to Bob by email anyway.

What is the projected delivery time on a new order for mini's? I would guess it is starting to shorten thanks to Tim's added help. Congrats Tim!
Rich

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2008, 04:12 pm »
Yep, it seems there well may be problems getting a clean email through to Bob. I've been assured that it's likely that he did get it.

So I'll be patient and wait for his reply.

Thanks,

Gene

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2008, 04:50 pm »
Gene,

Please accept my apology - I looked in the "sales" mailbox and apparently your message didn't come through.  Please try again at engineering10@4sptech.com - I should get it this time.  Also, please identify yourself so I don't somehow get it confused with any of the endless spam I get.

Thanks! :thumb:
-Bob

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2008, 05:07 pm »
Thanks for right info Bob.

I just sent you the email again but to the address you specified.

Gene

Karsten

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2008, 07:50 pm »
Gene,

Please accept my apology - I looked in the "sales" mailbox and apparently your message didn't come through.  Please try again at engineering10@4sptech.com - I should get it this time.  Also, please identify yourself so I don't somehow get it confused with any of the endless spam I get.

Thanks! :thumb:
-Bob

Posting email addresses in forum like this, is surely the ticket for the spam bots to harvest them.....

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2008, 09:03 pm »

Posting email addresses in forum like this, is surely the ticket for the spam bots to harvest them.....

that's true - maybe Bob, Goosepond and mcullinan could edit their posts to replace @ with the written equivalent in brackets

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2008, 11:08 pm »
Congrats on your choice, Gene!  I'm sure you'll receive years of enjoyment from them!  :thumb:

As archaic as they seem in comparison to what Bob's doing now (hardwood front panel, all Mundorf crossover parts, etc.), I still own and enjoy the Timepiece 2.0s I purchased almost 5 years ago!  :D
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2008, 12:03 am by Double Ugly »

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2008, 02:50 am »
Hi Jim,

I just got through answering Bob's email with specifics of what I want. He obviously is an easy man to to business with.

I must confess I'm pretty much in over my head here. But I've got all you fanatics here on the SP Tech Circle to blame.  :D

A couple of months ago, I never heard of SP Tech. But from lurking around here and doing a lot of reading, I couldn't help but be convinced Bob had something special in all his products.

I'm as far from an audiophile as you can get. But I like all kinds of music and have been trying to upgrade my admittedly mid-fi system for a while. I read a thread around here recently about the best way to build a good system. And that was to start with the best speakers you could afford and work back. About a year ago, I had to get another CD player and ended up with the Rega Apollo and decided then to upgrade everything else.

Jim, I'm just a little south of you in Louisiana, north of New Orleans. I'm retired and figured I'd better do this while all of my faculties are still working pretty well.

I'm already looking forward to this experience and I haven't even ordered the mini's yet!  :D

Gene

Frank S.

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2008, 03:07 am »
Hi Gene,

You're in good company with SP Tech. I owned an original pair of Continuum A.D.s a few years back and just recently joined the SP Tech family again with a pair of Continuum 2.5 MkIIIs.  I have never been happier with the sound of my system.  Oh yeah, my 2.5s just replaced a $38,000 (soon to be $70,000) pair of "statement" loudspeakers.   :thumb:

Bob is a great designer and deserves tremendous credit in what has achieved throughout the SP Tech line.

Frank

justaudiomagic

• Just Audio Magic
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2008, 12:04 pm »
Congrats Gene !  :icon_lol:

Double Ugly

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2008, 05:13 pm »
Hi Gene,

I just got through answering Bob's email with specifics of what I want. He obviously is an easy man to to business with.

That he is.  :thumb:

I must confess I'm pretty much in over my head here. But I've got all you fanatics here on the SP Tech Circle to blame.  :D

A couple of months ago, I never heard of SP Tech. But from lurking around here and doing a lot of reading, I couldn't help but be convinced Bob had something special in all his products.

I'm as far from an audiophile as you can get. But I like all kinds of music and have been trying to upgrade my admittedly mid-fi system for a while. I read a thread around here recently about the best way to build a good system. And that was to start with the best speakers you could afford and work back. About a year ago, I had to get another CD player and ended up with the Rega Apollo and decided then to upgrade everything else.

FWIW, a gentleman using the moniker Bigfish (aka Ken) was in a similar boat not too long ago (coming from mid-fi), and though he had a lot of questions and uncertainty, he's clearly thrilled with what he has now.  :thumb:

Jim, I'm just a little south of you in Louisiana, north of New Orleans. I'm retired and figured I'd better do this while all of my faculties are still working pretty well.

I retired almost 3 years ago (where's the time go? :scratch:), but I ordered my first pair of SP Techs a couple of years beforehand.  I'm still buying them, though; I'm up to 2 pair, and have a third pair on order! 

If you find yourself in this area, please let me know beforehand and I'll try make sure I'm available.  If nothing else, we'll have a bite to eat (my wife is an amazing cook!) while listening to some really good music.  :D

I'm already looking forward to this experience and I haven't even ordered the mini's yet!  :D

You should be, Gene.  Bob's speakers are unlike any I've ever heard, and as long as they're fed well, I'm confident you'll be pleased with them. 

Speaking of which, aside from the Apollo, what components do you plan to use (amp, etc.)? 

-Jim

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:01 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the offer to visit.

As far as amps and such, I'm swimming in that area, too. Once I decided to start upgrading my system, I tried the headphone area since it seemed to maybe be cheaper than buying speakers. That was certainly educational. Those guys over on Head-Fi are fanatics, too. In any event, I ended up with a nice 3 Watt SET integrated tube amp mostly because of its reputation as a headphone amp.

And my mid-fi system is currently using an old Sony ES 80W integrated. So at least initially, I'll be trying to drive my minis with those. My present speakers are a couple of Definitive Technology bipolar towers.

Just to see what would happen, a couple of days ago, I hooked the SET up to the speakers and surprisingly, it worked well. I had the vol. control about 3/4 of the way around but I expected that.

I've been looking at speaker stands. Anyone have any recommendations for something reasonably priced (<$500) and sturdy enough for the minis.

What's a good height? My listening position from my desk chair seems to be about 43" at ear level.

Thanks,

Gene

bhobba

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2008, 09:54 pm »
What's a good height? My listening position from my desk chair seems to be about 43" at ear level.

Check out:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=48409.0

Thanks
Bill

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2008, 11:17 pm »
Thanks Bill. I remember reading that thread but I would never have remembered it.

But with my ear level at around 43" and from that thread recommending that your ear be mid-way between the woofer and tweeter of the Mini's, if my math is correct, I would need stands that are 35" tall. That seems awfully high and tippy.  :(

Gene

Karsten

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2008, 12:11 am »
About a year ago, I had to get another CD player and ended up with the Rega Apollo and decided then to upgrade everything else.

Gene,

I'm really sorry to say this, but the Rega Apollo is not a keeper......

Regards,
Karsten

Double Ugly

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2008, 01:07 am »
Thanks Bill. I remember reading that thread but I would never have remembered it.

But with my ear level at around 43" and from that thread recommending that your ear be mid-way between the woofer and tweeter of the Mini's, if my math is correct, I would need stands that are 35" tall. That seems awfully high and tippy.  :(

Gene

To be honest, IMHO and experience, the height isn't a critical factor in the SP Tech listening experience.

The waveguide functions beautifully, and I can scarcely tell a difference when I move around the room.  In fact, as I've noted here several times, I spend the vast majority of my time actually listening outside the left speaker.  Granted, that's on the lateral axis vs. the vertical, but I've found the same 'minimal affect' to hold true in the vertical.

My recommendation is to put them at the height *you* want them, Gene.  Maybe use some stands you currently own and set them up they way you'd prefer.  If after experimenting you determine there is a difference sufficient to warrant a change, I'll help you find a suitable pair of stands.  Till then, I really do recommend you try them at the height you'd prefer they stay.

As for your source, I've never heard the Apollo (apparently Karsten has), but you may want to consider moving to a HDD-based system down the road.  I know that's what Karsten uses, as do I and a great number of others here at Audio Circle.  Properly set up, it is difficult to find a better, more accurate, more musical source IMHO.  And though the convenience factor is just icing on the cake, it is wonderful to have your entire collection at your fingertips and accessible within seconds.

First things first, though.  How's about we wait till you actually receive the speakers before getting too wrapped-up in potential system changes.  :D

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2008, 02:01 am »
Hi Jim,

I value your advice and certainly Karsten's also.

I don't have any stands right now but in reading over that thread previously shown above, I found the adjustable ones at Core Furniture to be very interesting.

As far as PC based music, I hope to get there some day. As you say the convenience is way up the list and it seems the sound just keeps getting better everyday with all the new advances in equipment.

Above all I want this to be a fun ride.

Now here's something you audiophiles can shoot down for me. Where does a cable TV box rank as an audio source? More than anything I like to listen to the music channels just because of the randomness of the selections.

That's what appeals to me most about PC based music is the ability to build a large playlist and let er rip randomly.

Thanks,

Gene

SP Cabmaker

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:47 am »
Hi Gene,

Just to let you and everyone else know, when I finally catch up on your mini orders, I do have some nice designs for stands for the Mini's (same wood species, edge profile etc. that I will be offering) so don't go too overboard for stands right away :wink:. Good things are definitely on the way. aa  Once again, those of you waiting for your mini's, I've just about got things worked out and will be turning up the already high flame on my butt!! :oops:  Mini's are going to start rolling out of here :D

Thank you all for your patience,
Tim