Timepiece 2.1's Have Arrived!!!

Bigfish

Timepiece 2.1's Have Arrived!!!
« on: 23 Jul 2007, 09:33 pm »
My new Timepiece 2.1's arrived around Noon today and I wanted to write my initial impressions, as follows:

1.  I have pictures as evidence but these babies were packaged as if Bob was shipping glass.  I am confident glass would have made the journey! :lol:

2.  Up until last week these were the smallest speakers SP Tech offerred and by no means should they be considered "small."  They have a commanding presence resting on stands and I do not expect to be moving these frequently due to their weight of 65+ lbs. aa

3.  I connected the Timepieces to my Odyssey Mono SEs with brand new Reality SCs.  The remainder of the system is an Analog Modded S3 with modded linear Elpac connected to a Odyssey Candela Preamp.  Bolder ICs connect the S3 to the Candela and Groneburg ICs from the preamp to amps (Grover's on order).

4.  Versus the Monitor Audio 9is the Timepieces are replacing I immediately noticed a substantial increase in base.  I thought the M&K subwoofer I use for HT was operating but it wasn't.

The soundstage is much wider than from the Monitors.  I have only been listening for a couple of hours and I find the Timepieces to be a real joy.  Tears came to my eyes as I was listening to the 'After Dark' album by Richard Elliot.  Everthing is so detailed and crystal clear.  If this hobby is truly about the music then I am a happy man because right out of the boxes I have a wonderful, musical pair of speakers.  I am told by Double Ugly and Lonewolfny that things will sound even better as eveything breaks in.  Wow!!! :lol:

Bob, thank you for making these wonderful speakers! :thumb:

Ken

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Timepiece 2.1's Have Arrived!!!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2007, 09:48 pm »
Music is such a joy when you have a good system in place.... :dance:

Enjoy it Ken !!! :beer:

(now start digging out all your music....and hear what you've been missing.... 8) )

topround

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2007, 10:03 pm »
Be careful with those things!

They may make your wife and kids dance....crazy-like! :banana piano:

My decision to purchase a pair was partly based on the effect they had on my family.
Music became an event at our house not just background noise, and it infected everyone

enjoy :green:

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2007, 10:16 pm »
Mike you buying one?  Congrats!  They throw a huge soundstage not to mention bass solidity your can feel.

-Levi

topround

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2007, 10:52 pm »
Levi,
Yes I ordered a pair of 3.0s
should be here by Nov!

I want to do the Nov rave :thumb:
if it is not taken.

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2007, 12:11 am »
Youhave November!  what is the difference between the 2.0 vs 3.0?  Congrats!       

Bigfish

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2007, 12:29 am »
Youhave November!  what is the difference between the 2.0 vs 3.0?  Congrats!       

Levi:

The following is portion of a message from Bob Smith to me concerning the parts in my 2.1's in the standard studio finish:

"the Excel woofers, Cardas binding posts and tweeter wire and all Mundorf crossover parts (Standard crossover).

If you have read my recent post on the subject, I have been quite impressed with these "standard" Mundorf components.  You can read the break down of what is included on the Mundorf/Crossover price list on our circle."

The new 3.0's have the very attractive wooden faces and I do not know if Bob has made additional changes to other components.  My 2.1's were ordered just after Bob made the Mundorf Crossover as the new standard in the Timepieces.

Ken

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2007, 12:32 am »
Upgraded tweeter, upgraded woofer, improved crossover, all mundorf crossover components, solid hardwood baffle.  Is that all?

Yeah, the 2.1 has the upgraded tweet, woof, improved crossover and parts.  But it wasn't long after the latest crossover revision and parts upgrade that Bob renamed the version to 3.0 with the new baffle.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2007, 12:38 am »
Ken,

Welcome to the family! :thumb:  Glad to hear your faith in us wasn't misplaced.  See...all the other owners weren't crazay or tellin' ya fibs after all.  OK...I'm not so sure about the "crazy" part but... :lol:  It will be nice to hear your comments after you've had a chance to live with them for a while.  Just be sure to have plenty of Kleenex handy in the meantime. :green:  Thank you Ken and may they enrich your life and love of music for many years to come!

Friends,

Tears came to my eyes as I was listening to the 'After Dark' album by Richard Elliot.

Does there exist a better testamonial? :o We are most humbled and honored.  It's comments like that, that help to remind me why we're doing this.

-Bob

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2007, 12:45 am »
Guys,

The only difference between the 2.1s that Ken has and the new 3.0s is that they don't have the hardwood construction.  Other than that, they have the new standard Mundorf crossover, Cardas posts, Cardas wire, SS9300 Tweet and the upgraded woofer - which, by the way, when they are depleted from stock, will not be returning.  That's another thread though.

-Bob

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2007, 01:58 am »
Thanks for the reply.  So what is the difference between the 2.0 vs 3.0 ? :scratch:

Nick B

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2007, 02:06 am »
Ken
I am truly happy that you rec'd yours before me... :bawl: :bawl:
This does give me a lot to look forward to   :peek: :peek:
Happy listening  :beer:
Nick

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2007, 02:11 am »
Thanks for the reply.  So what is the difference between the 2.0 vs 3.0 ? :scratch:
1.0....just kidding Levi  :lol:

Here.....read this...... :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2007, 02:13 am »
Let's rephrase.  What's the difference between 2.1 and 2.0?   :scratch:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2007, 02:17 am »
Let's rephrase.  What's the difference between 2.1 and 2.0?   :scratch:
Better tweeter....better crossovers than the 2.0's....now I feel depressed...I have to upgrade. :hyper:

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2007, 02:24 am »
Thanks Chris.  If you are going to upgrade, I would get DoubleUgly's towers. :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2007, 02:32 am »
Thanks Chris.  If you are going to upgrade, I would get DoubleUgly's towers. :thumb:
If I had a bigger room...yes the Revelation's....that would be a major upgrade.... :rock:

Levi

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2007, 02:47 am »
Yes that's it!  I heard it and they sounded good even in low volume levels. :thumb:

The 2.0 sounds good to me aswell.  I remembered hooking them to a BAT amp and heard bass the way it supposed to be heard.  That's with definition and authority!

ooheadsoo

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2007, 02:54 am »
Guys,

The only difference between the 2.1s that Ken has and the new 3.0s is that they don't have the hardwood construction.  Other than that, they have the new standard Mundorf crossover, Cardas posts, Cardas wire, SS9300 Tweet and the upgraded woofer - which, by the way, when they are depleted from stock, will not be returning.  That's another thread though.

-Bob

Bob, can you tell us the difference between the standard woofer and the custom excel woofer?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2007, 02:58 am »
Yes that's it!  I heard it and they sounded good even in low volume levels. :thumb:

The 2.0 sounds good to me aswell.  I remembered hooking them to a BAT amp and heard bass the way it supposed to be heard.  That's with definition and authority!
Right....the SP Tech's lay down a good foundation....bass....and the sound grows from that !!! (like those audiophile terms I used... :lol:)