Hypex NCore question and answers

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #600 on: 5 Mar 2013, 06:32 pm »
Topless of course (images).

Oh, also got word from Mike at Siliconray...coming dual mono stereo (same as bridged dual power supply mono block) chassis will have three holes each in top and base for each power supply capacitor (hottest component).  Sum total twelve cooling vent holes per chassis (3 holes x 2 capacitors x 1 base + 1 top) adds only $0.60USD to build cost.  Sweet! 

hellwood2

« Reply #601 on: 18 Mar 2013, 06:11 pm »
Could I use 2 smps 400 power supply instead of 2 smps 600 for mono blocks and what would be the effect.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #602 on: 18 Mar 2013, 06:51 pm »
Could I use 2 smps 400 power supply instead of 2 smps 600 for mono blocks and what would be the effect.

I have not myself confirmed existence of SMPS400 @ Ncore web shop.

AFAIK a mono block must be bridged (two amp modules) to employ dual ps.  Do you reference such amp: bridged/dual ps mono block? 

SMPS600 = 600W @ 2 Ohms stereo or 1200W bridged/dual ps.  If Ncore is consistent, then SMPS400 = 400W @ 2 Ohms stereo or 800W bridged/dual ps. 

Many variables determine the minimum recommended PS (400 or 600).  The biggest variable is the partnering loudspeaker minimum load impedance and speaker sensitivity (vastly different methods of testing sensitivity)...lower-impact variables include speaker cable resistance, room volume, listening distance, music program, maximum playback level, speaker power handling, etc.  Two different persons in the exact same system and room: one person may require 10x the amplifier power than the other person. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #603 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:02 pm »
https://www.hypexshop.com/shop/shop.jsp?groupID=117

Above link lists all Hypex PS including Ncore.

There is sum total one Ncore ps: SMPS600.  There is "SMPS400" but such is for UcD line only and not for Ncore.  Best I can tell there is no such thing as Ncore SMPS400. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #604 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:08 pm »
Hello can anyone please tell me what the included cable lengths are that come with the NC400/SMPS600 kits? Specifically, I'm interested in knowing how long the cable bundle is that connects the SMPS600 to the Amp Module as well as the Mains cable that connects to the SMPS from the IEC Input.

By my rough guesstimation the SMPS to Amp cable bundle looks to be about 8.5" long (end to end)? Not sure why this info isn't listed in any of the documentation anywhere. :banghead:

Since we are dealing with pre-terminated bundles I think this is a key piece of information to know while in the enclosure sizing and component layout phase of a build.

Also, has anyone "Shortened" the 12 wire bundle that connects the SMPS to the Amp or is that considered a No, No?

Thanks

The specs are misleading.  The length varies with twists (mandatory) plus required bend between the components.  The tighter the twists the less can the wire be bent, which affects maximum spacing. 

The only positive thing to do is buy the kit, twist the wires, and connect both ends.  Then you can determine appropriate maximum spacing of components.  It's a package deal and you can't figure out the limits on paper, period, end of report, it's impossible.  IOW, if you need to ask the question, the answer is misleading.  I had kit in hand when designing the Siliconray chassis by my name.

Why would someone design a chassis layout without the parts in hand?  There is no known reason to do that.  It makes no sense, with all due respect.

1. Buy parts
2. After parts arrive, twist cord, plug cord on both ends, design amp layout

If you design a layout without the parts in your hands, and you cut holes, and the parts fit later, either:
you could have increased spacing between the amp and ps, which improves performance, or...
you are insanely lucky

There is no other alternative. 

this_is_vv

« Reply #605 on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:48 pm »
have anyone tried using Ncore with battery only?...just thought to ask....

V

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #606 on: 21 Mar 2013, 05:01 pm »
Another thing about the umbilical cords.  I built eight Ncore so far, six early on and two last week.  The later parts are different and frankly the wire bundle did not have consistent wire lengths, obvious after twist.  Also, Bruno changed from Mogami input coax to something more difficult to work with.   

Again: Without exception it is always and only positively wrong to design a chassis without physical parts in hand.  Did I mention don't do that?

Parts change when they change.  Bruno same as every manufacturer on earth states clearly everything is always in flux and changes occur anytime.  It's quite naive to look at a set of parts (say a friend's for instance) and then design a chassis with those parts, then order your parts, and then find out something is wrong simply because a wire bundle is 3mm shorter than before. 

The next batch of our guitar/violin seasoning device I guarantee something will change.  It's out of our control.  When Bruno signed off on the wire bundle I am absolutely positive there was an acceptable range of variation and that's the way life is when you manufacture stuff.   

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #607 on: 21 Mar 2013, 05:07 pm »

I guess you could go for 8 car batteries to give 2 x 48 V.. Or go for special 48 V telecoms backup batteries, but their capacity is limited.

OzarkTom

« Reply #608 on: 21 Mar 2013, 06:06 pm »

V

I still believe that the Ncores on battery would be the ultimate. Class D sounds so much more open and transparent while being driven with a battery.

this_is_vv

« Reply #609 on: 21 Mar 2013, 06:46 pm »
I guess you could go for 8 car batteries to give 2 x 48 V.. Or go for special 48 V telecoms backup batteries, but their capacity is limited.

Ok not possible...i have total of 3 pair of ncore to power my tri amped active speaker...

V

Julf

« Reply #610 on: 22 Mar 2013, 07:26 am »
Ok not possible...i have total of 3 pair of ncore to power my tri amped active speaker...

Well, depending on how loud you play them, you could still get a couple of hours out of the 8 car batteries. Perfect for playing the soundtrack to "Das Boot"...

this_is_vv

« Reply #611 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:14 pm »
Well, depending on how loud you play them, you could still get a couple of hours out of the 8 car batteries. Perfect for playing the soundtrack to "Das Boot"...

will live with normal wall socket.....btw how much is a break in time for ncore

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #612 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:49 pm »
will live with normal wall socket.....btw how much is a break in time for ncore

I estimate very quick, much quicker than any other amp with which I'm familiar.  Estimate 24 hours.  It might change thereafter, but not much. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #613 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:57 pm »

V

I think there is huge untapped HT market for 3-ch Ncore.  If SMPS1200 could power 3x NC400, estimated total cost delivered including 4% US Customs/brokerage fee + $200 build fee is only $1500.  Would you guys recommend such an amp to persons shopping for front LCR HT amp?

ufokillerz

« Reply #614 on: 29 Mar 2013, 09:38 pm »
I think there is huge untapped HT market for 3-ch Ncore.  If SMPS1200 could power 3x NC400, estimated total cost delivered including 4% US Customs/brokerage fee + $200 build fee is only $1500.  Would you guys recommend such an amp to persons shopping for front LCR HT amp?
i would have no problems recommending that to someone! i have 3 ncore monoblocks for my HT LCR setup and wished i built them as a single 3channel amplifier.

fyi, if you plan to do it for the HT market, please figure out a 12v trigger hah, that is a big thing for HT folks like me.

Julf

« Reply #615 on: 29 Mar 2013, 09:44 pm »

One SMPS600 seems to be able to power 2 nc400's without problems, so one 1200 for 3 nc's should be just fine.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #616 on: 30 Mar 2013, 02:50 am »
One SMPS600 seems to be able to power 2 nc400's without problems, so one 1200 for 3 nc's should be just fine.

Thanks.  I agree.  I wait for about a week for reply from Hypex regarding this.  There is also the problem of a 3-1 umbilical cord.  I would not like having to make one, plus it would look worse than OEM, plus it would be less reliable. 

Rclark

« Reply #617 on: 30 Mar 2013, 06:08 am »
I still believe that the Ncores on battery would be the ultimate. Class D sounds so much more open and transparent while being driven with a battery.

You've got money Tom, make it happen. If you can make Ncores sound better with a battery, I'll order batteries in a second. But it's gotta match the initial measurements and not be 100% subjective.

Myself, even with a battery powered amp (now sitting in the closet), and battery powered pre, I'm HIGHLY skeptical a battery is going to improve these amps.

The Hypex SMPS is just a more advanced technology, my ears are convinced. Never ever ever ever never ever fatiguing, ever. And I listen for it.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #618 on: 30 Mar 2013, 12:01 pm »
You've got money Tom, make it happen. If you can make Ncores sound better with a battery, I'll order batteries in a second. But it's gotta match the initial measurements and not be 100% subjective.

Myself, even with a battery powered amp (now sitting in the closet), and battery powered pre, I'm HIGHLY skeptical a battery is going to improve these amps.

The Hypex SMPS is just a more advanced technology, my ears are convinced. Never ever ever ever never ever fatiguing, ever. And I listen for it.

A bit off topic - sorry. Tom has been kind enough to include me in the Millenia tour and as you know I own/built a pair of Ncores. Although the comparison will be somewhat flawed primarily due to the large differences in output power between the 2 amplifier designs, I will try my best to match overall gain (since the Millenia has a pot) and then listen for the qualities you mentioned above. But the difference in output power remains. I imagine, even with 95 dB sensitive speakers, it might make a difference. Then there are differences in the implementation, which will be hard to discern,one can only speculate! It would be nice to have a lower powered battery based like Virtue Audio in hand for a more fair comparison. We will see. Overall, whether battery power improves the sound or does not will have to be determined on a case by case basis (both by measurements and listening). Blanket generalizations about SMPS vs. battery are just that - blanket generalizations - again, due to the variability in implementation.

Best,
Anand.

OzarkTom

« Reply #619 on: 30 Mar 2013, 01:21 pm »

Myself, even with a battery powered amp (now sitting in the closet),

Yeah, that  one has been sitting in my closet for the last 15 months. Just old technology.

You've got money Tom

When I was your age, I never had any money.

I'm HIGHLY skeptical a battery is going to improve these amps.

Yes, I remember when you were very skeptical about getting a battery for the amp in your closet. But since everyone else on that thread were buying and raving about it, you finally bought a battery.

Never ever ever ever never ever fatiguing, ever.

Thank your power company for that. Mine is the pits. But the NC1200's solved 80% of that problem, maybe a better power supply than the NC400's? It would be nice to try those again with this PS Audio Powerbase. It cleaned up 100% with the Stello that I am now using.

I have no inkling on trying any of these high powered Class D amps with a battery(batteries), I would be afraid I would fry myself. I just know what this Millenia MKII Class BD does when I switch to a battery and I can imagine the Ncores or any other high powered Class D amps would improve as much. Maybe a low powered Class D Ncore for the audio industry be the answer? I believe Bruno had mentioned that he was contemplating going into the audio industry ealier.

Anand and several others here has or has heard the Ncores earlier, so those on the MKII tour will hear the difference.