Hypex NCore question and answers

this_is_vv

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #580 on: 17 Feb 2013, 10:04 pm »
stupid question do we need any soldering iron while assembling this amp?....

V

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #581 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:33 pm »
Yes for the xlr connectors and speaker binding posts (although I guess there are workarounds for both).

this_is_vv

« Reply #582 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:39 pm »
Yes for the xlr connectors and speaker binding posts (although I guess there are workarounds for both).

i dont have an soldering iron so wanted to ask people....

V

jugi6

« Reply #583 on: 18 Feb 2013, 02:29 am »
The Veritas has a thick aluminum slab between the modules.

Thanks for the info! =)

try copper plates @  2.6mm (at least) thick, grounded. They work much better than Alu/SS.  Ideally CF is a much better material for EMI shielding but those specially made CF sheets are hard to access. They tend to be used on satellites, aircrafts or other military purpose.

I'll try that - or something similar using copper. Maybe copper foil around the aluminium sheet to begin with.
Thanks! =)

- Jugi

HighRez

« Reply #584 on: 18 Feb 2013, 05:47 am »
Hello can anyone please tell me what the included cable lengths are that come with the NC400/SMPS600 kits? Specifically, I'm interested in knowing how long the cable bundle is that connects the SMPS600 to the Amp Module as well as the Mains cable that connects to the SMPS from the IEC Input.

By my rough guesstimation the SMPS to Amp cable bundle looks to be about 8.5" long (end to end)? Not sure why this info isn't listed in any of the documentation anywhere. :banghead:

Since we are dealing with pre-terminated bundles I think this is a key piece of information to know while in the enclosure sizing and component layout phase of a build.

Also, has anyone "Shortened" the 12 wire bundle that connects the SMPS to the Amp or is that considered a No, No?

Thanks

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #585 on: 18 Feb 2013, 07:35 am »
Hello can anyone please tell me what the included cable lengths are that come with the NC400/SMPS600 kits?

These are the ones that came with my (early) batch:

- Mains input cable (open ends to J3 on SMPS600):      290 mm
- Aux & Control (open ends to J1 on SMPS600):           200 mm
- Amplifier connection (J2 on SMPS to J7 on NC400):   185 mm
- Amplifier connection (J2/J7 to open end):                  490 mm
- Audio input (J9 on NC400 to open end):                    480 mm

So note there are 2 cables for the amplifier-smps connection - one with connectors at both ends, and one with a connector at one end and open at the other.

Conversion into arcane pre-imperial measurements left as an exercise for people in Liberia, Burma and the US :)

By my rough guesstimation the SMPS to Amp cable bundle looks to be about 8.5" long (end to end)? Not sure why this info isn't listed in any of the documentation anywhere.

Well, my measurements are actual cable length, not including connectors. From end of connector to end of connector the cable bundle is 210 mm, so your estimate is not too badly off (8.5" is 216 mm).

Since we are dealing with pre-terminated bundles I think this is a key piece of information to know while in the enclosure sizing and component layout phase of a build.

It is usually better to get the physical components before going through the layout phase to avoid surprises.

Also, has anyone "Shortened" the 12 wire bundle that connects the SMPS to the Amp or is that considered a No, No?

No reason why you can't shorten them - but it is a hassle unless you intend to redo the connectors. Some of us have made 3-plug Y cables to feed 2 NC400's from one SMPS - works just fine.

HighRez

« Reply #586 on: 18 Feb 2013, 08:27 am »
Thanks for the info dude, much appreciated   :thumb:

mangew

« Reply #587 on: 21 Feb 2013, 10:34 pm »
Been looking as a maniac for a chassi for a ncore build, i want a black faceplate 5-10mm thick not the very common silver ones. The only one i found is Galaxy M GX288 but are there others? I want the faceplate to be clear for my own machining.

I will start with a single module/power supply but i thinking of upgrade to bridged one is i like it. What size os chassi is recommended both for a slim build with a single module/power and for a bridged module with 1 or 2 power modules? Width, depth, height?

bulldogger

« Reply #588 on: 3 Mar 2013, 06:02 pm »
I also find the Veritas to sound better than the NC400s.   Usual my system, my ears, etc.
Can you eloborate? How is the sound better?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #589 on: 3 Mar 2013, 06:32 pm »
Been looking as a maniac for a chassi for a ncore build, i want a black faceplate 5-10mm thick not the very common silver ones. The only one i found is Galaxy M GX288 but are there others? I want the faceplate to be clear for my own machining.

I will start with a single module/power supply but i thinking of upgrade to bridged one is i like it. What size os chassi is recommended both for a slim build with a single module/power and for a bridged module with 1 or 2 power modules? Width, depth, height?

My personal experience is very good dealing with Siliconray chassis in China.  Extremely reliable.  I picked a chassis Jason used and did pencil/graph paper design for one ps/one amp module.  Member TrungT (thanks again!) made CNC program from my drawings, emailed his CNC program to Sr, who now stocks chassis by my name.

HtCoz (Robert) might have dual mono chassis, comprising exact same four components as your above described bridged dual-ps mono block.  Robert seems excellent to deal with.  Alternately maybe you could do like I did above.  It was kind of a fun exercise (see thread somewhere in this circle).  Warning: you must absolutely confirm ID for base plate prior to design.  And you must have all four components in hand to insure physical fit on the graph paper, which will be much larger than 8.5 x 11 for your chassis.  I estimate cost for your pre-cut chassis $150-200.  Your design is good because it works for everything from normal stereo/single PS/single posts to dual mono stereo/single post (same components as bridged/dual PS mono block/biwire posts).  Users could start with one normal stereo amp then later add a second power supply (dual mono), then later still add a second chassis (regular mono blocks), then two more amp modules (bridged) then finally, two more power supplies (bridged dual PS).  A continuous upgrade path from the crummy (sarc) lowest cost stereo to maximum NC800BDPS (bridged dual PS).  Sweet!     

I might consider re-doing another chassis as you describe but TrungT or someone else must agree to do the CAD work. 

Warning: Sr has MOQ of 20, so no sale till 20 chassis are pre-paid.   

I'll tell you one thing about the Apex Jr. binding posts I picked.  There may well be better sounding posts, but I've got huge fingers and hands (like my friend at work used to say about me, big hands, big feet, two of three isn't bad).  I tried many different speaker cables and torqued the posts many times.  The posts have such huge nuts and so much surface contact area with chassis that the post stays torqued and does not swivel even with heavy use.

Best wishes on your project.       

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #590 on: 3 Mar 2013, 06:53 pm »
50 years ago in school they told us to prepare to say good bye to the god-forsaken "Imperial" unit of measure.  Slow, maybe? 

rogerdn

« Reply #591 on: 3 Mar 2013, 08:30 pm »
My personal experience is very good dealing with Siliconray chassis in China.  Extremely reliable.  I picked a chassis Jason used and did pencil/graph paper design for one ps/one amp module.  Member TrungT (thanks again!) made CNC program from my drawings, emailed his CNC program to Sr, who now stocks chassis by my name.

HtCoz (Robert) might have dual mono chassis, comprising exact same four components as your above described bridged dual-ps mono block.  Robert seems excellent to deal with.  Alternately maybe you could do like I did above.  It was kind of a fun exercise (see thread somewhere in this circle).  Warning: you must absolutely confirm ID for base plate prior to design.  And you must have all four components in hand to insure physical fit on the graph paper, which will be much larger than 8.5 x 11 for your chassis.  I estimate cost for your pre-cut chassis $150-200.  Your design is good because it works for everything from normal stereo/single PS/single posts to dual mono stereo/single post (same components as bridged/dual PS mono block/biwire posts).  Users could start with one normal stereo amp then later add a second power supply (dual mono), then later still add a second chassis (regular mono blocks), then two more amp modules (bridged) then finally, two more power supplies (bridged dual PS).  A continuous upgrade path from the crummy (sarc) lowest cost stereo to maximum NC800BDPS (bridged dual PS).  Sweet!     

I might consider re-doing another chassis as you describe but TrungT or someone else must agree to do the CAD work. 

Warning: Sr has MOQ of 20, so no sale till 20 chassis are pre-paid.   

I'll tell you one thing about the Apex Jr. binding posts I picked.  There may well be better sounding posts, but I've got huge fingers and hands (like my friend at work used to say about me, big hands, big feet, two of three isn't bad).  I tried many different speaker cables and torqued the posts many times.  The posts have such huge nuts and so much surface contact area with chassis that the post stays torqued and does not swivel even with heavy use.

Best wishes on your project.       

Robert apparently no longer sells his dual mono case and referred me to Kevin at Enclosures and Cases who still makes his design, mine took five weeks or so, cost $220. info@enclosuresandcasesinc.com

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #592 on: 3 Mar 2013, 08:32 pm »
And it isn't even imperial - the US adopted the old British units *before* the Brits standardized the imperial units. These days it is only Liberia, Burma and the United States that don't use metric - and even in the US, metric is used in science, aerospace and engineering.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #593 on: 3 Mar 2013, 09:17 pm »
Why did Robert stop?

Please describe the $220 chassis.  Dual mono stereo?  How was fit?  Did you build it?  As per common forum practice, images or it's a lie!    :lol:

rogerdn

« Reply #594 on: 3 Mar 2013, 09:38 pm »
Why did Robert stop?

Please describe the $220 chassis.  Dual mono stereo?  How was fit?  Did you build it?  As per common forum practice, images or it's a lie!    :lol:

for some reason my post got cut short, I have not seen the case as it was shipped directly to Dave (dBe) P. I. Audio who is building it for me, it's dual mono stereo as I said.  Black anadoized.  Dave's words were 'case is quite nice. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #595 on: 3 Mar 2013, 10:06 pm »
Dave!  Where are you?  C'min Dave!  Post images now or else!  :lol:

rogerdn

« Reply #596 on: 3 Mar 2013, 10:49 pm »
Dave!  Where are you?  C'min Dave!  Post images now or else!  :lol:

Robert did not say why no more cases, I did get a face plate from him which I saw, was very nice @$30.

Dave is taking pics for me but may not have the build complete yet.

TomS

« Reply #597 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:16 am »
Robert did not say why no more cases, I did get a face plate from him which I saw, was very nice @$30.

Dave is taking pics for me but may not have the build complete yet.
I think he just got really busy with his real day job.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #598 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:36 am »
I think he just got really busy with his real day job.

Well....we'll just see what this so-far imaginary dual mono chassis looks like ( :lol:), then we'll consider another chassis design if necessary, and only, of course, if TrungT or some other CNC professional volunteers their services again...

Nothing definite, just an estimate...my guess is Sr price between $180-$200.  I'd make sure Sr cut the XLR vertical next time of course.  Maybe see about a power switch but I'm really generally against such; just a nuisance.  Doesn't JohnR take your "Audiophile" badge if you turn off your digital amp?  If you leave for vacation unplug the IEC dude!

BTW, interesting that the Sr IEC definitely gripped with more torque than the PE jobs.     

rogerdn

« Reply #599 on: 5 Mar 2013, 05:06 pm »
I will post pics when I get the amp from Dave but could be another couple weeks.