Hypex NCore question and answers

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #380 on: 8 Nov 2012, 02:24 am »
and what about if using in active setup where to put it?..not sure but i am planning to use
dual smps with the Ncore module ....does that ans?

V
It all depends on the other amps....

dan92075

« Reply #381 on: 8 Nov 2012, 02:24 am »
I have a two-way active system (one driver for <250Hz,  and one for >250Hz)

You will definitely be getting tighter bass with NC400,  but then on mid/treble you will also be getting quicker, faster sounds than most Class A and AB amps.  Also, all the other associated benefits like great dynamic range, etc.

So my feeling is there significant improvement in both areas - so its up to you and your preferences if you choose to pick only one.

Although I have been pondering recently a related question: 

I have a pair of NC400s,  and if I did got a pair of NC1200,   in this system would it be best to put the NC1200 on the >250Hz or the <250Hz section?     i.e does NC1200 have equal benefits over the NC400 across the whole spectrum?

If someone has experience with both NC400 and NC1200,  I would appreciate your comments. . .

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #382 on: 8 Nov 2012, 02:28 am »
If someone has experience with both NC400 and NC1200,  I would appreciate your comments. . .
If you are not able to run the NC1200 amps full range and had to pick where to put it, it should go on the mid / top end IME.  Put the NC400 down on the bottom.  Of course there are many variables but I'd say this would be the way to go.

mgalusha

« Reply #383 on: 8 Nov 2012, 02:43 am »
If you are not able to run the NC1200 amps full range and had to pick where to put it, it should go on the mid / top end IME.  Put the NC400 down on the bottom.  Of course there are many variables but I'd say this would be the way to go.

+1

milezone

« Reply #384 on: 10 Nov 2012, 02:51 am »
On the topic of Ncores, I have an issue I'm hoping someone might know a fix for. I've had the modules for a couple months and (with the exception of lodging a screw in the aluminum plate) haven't had any issues. Due to laziness, they weren't in a chassis for a while (but grounded). Recently I put them in a chassis and was initially having some issues getting audio (a speaker wire broke off in the terminal on the module, possibly coupled with grounding issues, I got the modules working). Recently however, both modules are having some really weird and disconcerting issues. It started when turning the modules on after a couple hours of use (historically, I had left them on all the time). When I turned them back on, one of the modules wasn't producing sound. I opened it up, moved some stuff around, and got it producing sound again (no idea what the exact fix was). This is one concern. The bigger concern however is that when I shut this module off now (and the other though to a lesser extent) it makes a spastic clicking noise (like when turning on) at least ten times and very quickly. All the while the leds are flashing. Then, it shuts off. The other module does this too though to a lesser degree. I'm certain I've never had this issue prior. My only thought is that it might be a ground issue. Right now all the grounding is fairly standard. On the XLR input I have the +/- wired normally with a case ground on the third (ground pin) furthermore the sleeve of the xlr cable is grounded to the xlr connector at the ground tab. I highly doubt this is the problem but hopefully it is and doesn't necessitate returning the modules. Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas what it might be? Please share if so.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #385 on: 10 Nov 2012, 01:33 pm »
On the topic of Ncores, I have an issue I'm hoping someone might know a fix for. I've had the modules for a couple months and (with the exception of lodging a screw in the aluminum plate) haven't had any issues. Due to laziness, they weren't in a chassis for a while (but grounded). Recently I put them in a chassis and was initially having some issues getting audio (a speaker wire broke off in the terminal on the module, possibly coupled with grounding issues, I got the modules working). Recently however, both modules are having some really weird and disconcerting issues. It started when turning the modules on after a couple hours of use (historically, I had left them on all the time). When I turned them back on, one of the modules wasn't producing sound. I opened it up, moved some stuff around, and got it producing sound again (no idea what the exact fix was). This is one concern. The bigger concern however is that when I shut this module off now (and the other though to a lesser extent) it makes a spastic clicking noise (like when turning on) at least ten times and very quickly. All the while the leds are flashing. Then, it shuts off. The other module does this too though to a lesser degree. I'm certain I've never had this issue prior. My only thought is that it might be a ground issue. Right now all the grounding is fairly standard. On the XLR input I have the +/- wired normally with a case ground on the third (ground pin) furthermore the sleeve of the xlr cable is grounded to the xlr connector at the ground tab. I highly doubt this is the problem but hopefully it is and doesn't necessitate returning the modules. Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas what it might be? Please share if so.

Can you please post pictures of the back of the XLR and where it all grounds? Also, an overall picture.

Your Nampon is to the chassis too; right?

milezone

« Reply #386 on: 10 Nov 2012, 11:22 pm »
Here are two pictures. To update things and perhaps add to further confusion, I plugged the amps in again today and they are working to the extent that both produce audio. One however was dropping out initially but now seems to be stable. It seems as though there might be capacitor issue involving residual power that causes the module and SMPS to act erratically. Appreciate your effort to help.

http://i.imgur.com/9OTJf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4Vxt2.jpg

-the second pic is of the xlr connection. The it goes left to right, ground to chassis, white, blue. The xlr inner sleeve is grounded to the tab on the xlr input.

milezone

« Reply #387 on: 10 Nov 2012, 11:43 pm »
Okay so after a brief instance of the amps working somewhat well, they have now failed again. I am out of guesses as they aren't behaving erratically like before. In the most recent instance, one shut off, then shortly after, the other did too. While the power switch remained on, the leds (wafflee, which are the series of red lights on the ncore module) shut off. I'm totally confused. My guesses are a grounding issue, a polarity inconsistency (which shouldn't have these effects), or damaged modules/power supplies. I'm concerned that the stress (mainly during the erratic on off phase) could have damaged certain components.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #388 on: 11 Nov 2012, 12:45 am »
Your photo of the xlr doesn't look right for fully balanced mode. Is that what you intended?  Have you tried disconnecting the ground from the xlr (while leaving the napon grounded)?

jonbee

« Reply #389 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:14 am »
Try wiring the shield from the input wire directly to xlr pin 1 and run the ground wire for the xlr from the ground tab to the mounting screw. Also, sand off some of the anodizing on the case where the nut on the mounting screw touches the case to make a better connection. Do the same on the IEC ground wire.
Also try running the speaker wires out of the left side of the connectors and over the module to give more space between the wires. You've got a lot of wires in close proximity on the right side, which might have inductive effects.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #390 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:17 am »
Have you checked DC Offset?  It's possible that it could do what you say but somewhat unlikely as I haven't heard of any DC Offset QC issues as of late. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105438.msg1087123#msg1087123

Also, did you not solder the shield direct to the XLR connector for any reason?  It would be a whole lot easier then using some speaker wire and also minimize's a failure point. 

You can kinda see what I've done here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106187.msg1104426#msg1104426

Basically you just cut the shield down one side and twist it really nice and then tin, then solder to the XLR connector.  I would then run a wire from that joint to chassis ground and I would connect Nampon to that point too.

Last, I doubt it but have you disconnected your IEC ground and tried that?  Also, your polarity is correct at IEC? 

milezone

« Reply #391 on: 11 Nov 2012, 02:12 am »
I appreciate the advice and responses. I've tried all the wiring suggestions with the exception of investigating the DC offset. I've also sanded the case to improve contact. No luck... Does anyone know whether the three screws the keep the module in place function to ground it as well? Perhaps there's something here? Otherwise I haven't a clue and will wait until Monday when hopefully I hear back from Hypex. I'll update the thread as things progress and I find out the problem.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #392 on: 11 Nov 2012, 02:35 am »
Where are you located?

genjamon

« Reply #393 on: 11 Nov 2012, 02:03 pm »
Don't the shield and the ground pins both need to be wired to ground?

seadogs1

« Reply #394 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:11 pm »
I don't know if this belongs or not? If not please move to correct location. Question, what preamps are people using with the ncore amps either the 400 or 1200? Thanks!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #395 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:31 pm »
I don't know if this belongs or not? If not please move to correct location. Question, what preamps are people using with the ncore amps either the 400 or 1200? Thanks!
I've seen LDR's, TRL Dude, Atma-Sphere, Krell, Emotiva, Conrad Johnson, Bent Audio, Pass Labs B1, Dodd Buffer, Goldpoint...................

TomS

« Reply #396 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:37 pm »
I've had great results with both the Tube Research Labs Dude (6SN7's) single ended linestage and Zesto Audio Leto (12AX7's) balanced transformer outputs to the Acoustic Imagery Atsah monoblocks (NC1200) and DIY NC400 monoblocks. The NCores seem to preserve everything the tube stages get just right. I haven't tried any SS stages yet.

Turk

« Reply #397 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:42 pm »
deHavilland Ultra Verve 2 or 3

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #398 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:45 pm »
deHavilland Ultra Verve 2 or 3
Nice.  How well does it mate with the NCore's?

Airborn

« Reply #399 on: 12 Nov 2012, 09:47 pm »
Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE with NCore 400 monos.  Fully balanced and dead quite.  Perfect for the resolution capable through the NCores.