Let's see your tubes!

sebrof

Re: Let's see your tubes!
« Reply #1200 on: 9 Sep 2014, 09:53 pm »
Great post, Ray.
I hear you regarding the JJs. I find the Sophias maybe slightly too laid back and the JJs maybe slightly forward. A lot depends on the music/recording as well.
Maybe the EMLs are in the sweet spot. I was going to buy either KR, EML mesh or EML solid, or Sophias. Hard to get a good idea over the internet so I went with the Sophias at a friend's recommendation.

Not reason to afraid, its a nice point to point wiring.
No thin wires, no bend wires turn in hi angles(which may broken the copper molecules);
Thanks for posting. :thumb:
Thanks - I feel better now  :thumb:

Docere

« Reply #1201 on: 10 Sep 2014, 12:29 am »
Thanks Sebrof!

And I hear you about trying to get some idea of what tubes sound like from internet postings! I have been fortunate enough to try a couple of types and should be able to justify one more, maybe. I have been impressed with EML and will stick with them.

I sometimes find it difficult to post sonic traits. I once enjoyed analyzing and explaining sonic presentations in audiophile terms, but now I prefer to focus on musical qualities.

Having some idea of the operating point for the output in your amp, I would guess that the EML 2A3S (ie. solid plate) would be ideal. Even with my operating point adjusted for the mesh version, I'd like to try the solid plates. From what I have experienced in the mesh and from what I have read, I reckon the EML solid plates would be somewhere between the JJs and EML mesh in flavor... or put differently, maybe a more balanced, resolved and subtle take on the JJ type of sound; they should be nice and last a good while in your amp; warranty is also generous if you register them online.

As to your amp's build, I'm with FullRangeMan - there is a lot to like. Keep up the good work and helpful posts.

Cheers,
Ray

shoot

« Reply #1202 on: 10 Sep 2014, 03:52 pm »
Hi adrianc ,do you ever see this kind siemens 5814A(12au7)? :green:

Soothsayerman

• - David
« Reply #1203 on: 12 Oct 2014, 03:03 am »

NOS 1967 Cifte 12AU7's and new Genelex Gold Lion 12AX7's. They play oooh so nicely together.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 06:48 am by Soothsayerman »

ltr317

« Reply #1204 on: 13 Oct 2014, 08:12 pm »

Yes, this is a power amp only. Volume and input selection are controlled by the DAC...

Other components:  you have seen the speakers and the DAC is a W4S DAC2 for now... I am awaiting delivery of an AMR DP-777 SE. I currently run a older MAC Mini as a source... but that will also be changed to a decent quality streamer by the end of the year (I hope!).

Cheers,
Ray

Hi Ray,

The AMR is a wonderful sounding DAC.  I have reviewed several of their less expensive iFi components, including a couple of their DACs and found them to be tremendous values.  In fact, I just bought their new Micro iDSD DAC for use in future reviews.  Enjoy your AMR when you receive it. 

Cheers,
Paul

joeling39

« Reply #1205 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:28 am »

My Line Magnetic G212 amp.

joeling39

« Reply #1206 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:54 am »

Holding the PSVANE 212 tube in my hand.

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #1207 on: 14 Oct 2014, 04:23 am »
Absolutely stunning Joe. Looks beautiful. So? How does she sound?

joeling39

« Reply #1208 on: 14 Oct 2014, 04:59 am »
A lot of promise. Still fiddling with various options. For now, the sound is starting to become more fleshed out with spades of SET magic - holographic imaging. Bass still cannot beat the Gryphon - not as well controlled. Continue to run in & experiment with :

1) Tubes
2) Input line matching transformers (built into the pre)
3) wires
4) Output transformer tabs (16ohm vs 8ohm (now on) vs 4ohm cannot handle)

shoot

« Reply #1209 on: 14 Oct 2014, 07:40 am »

Holding the PSVANE 212 tube in my hand.
big bomb :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #1210 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:20 pm »
I've never seen a transparent space heater before. That's pretty cool.

Guy 13

« Reply #1211 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:35 pm »
Hi joeling39
Nice looking tube, impressive size.
I give nice sound, light-up and heat up your listening room,
all from one big tube. :thumb:

Guy 13

joeling39

« Reply #1212 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:43 pm »
Unfortunately this system resides in the tropics so the heat not really welcomed  :o.

Hi joeling39
Nice looking tube, impressive size.
I give nice sound, light-up and heat up your listening room,
all from one big tube. :thumb:

Guy 13

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #1213 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:53 pm »
Ouch.  :duh:
Maybe I could interest you in a low watt chip amp.  :lol:

sfox7076

« Reply #1214 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:33 pm »
Did you steal that from a light house?  That's one impressive tube.

Docere

« Reply #1215 on: 15 Oct 2014, 06:37 am »
The AMR is a wonderful sounding DAC.  I have reviewed several of their less expensive iFi components, including a couple of their DACs and found them to be tremendous values.  In fact, I just bought their new Micro iDSD DAC for use in future reviews.  Enjoy your AMR when you receive it. 

Hey Paul - Enjoy it I will. I prefer to buy something I expect to genuinely enjoy and tend to upgrade about once every decade; hopefully the '777 SE fits the bill. Have been awaiting for a while though... I think AMR will wait until it is absolutely right before they release it, which is ideal for me! Their iFi stuff is also supposed to be excellent.

Keep well,
Ray.

Docere

« Reply #1216 on: 15 Oct 2014, 07:36 am »
Bass still cannot beat the Gryphon - not as well controlled.

Within the context of a given speaker: output power affects volume and expands the delta between quiet and loud; damping factor (amplifier output impedance relative to speaker load) determines bass control. Some speakers - especially mid to high Q drivers in most cabinet alignments (think designs that are OB or have little drivers trying to produce convincing bass) - will generally sound soft, flabby and uncontrolled unless driven by a low output impedance amp. Generally speaking, a triode output without an unusually high primary load or negative feedback will NOT have a low output impedance (there are some exceptions).

My point is that your speakers may need a low impedance drive. If this is the case, unless your amp resorts to large amounts of negative feedback - despite the big tube and relative big "power" - it is unlikely to provide the drive required. You may be able to mitigate offensive sonic issues with some component changes, but you will never address the fundamental issue while you match a high impedance output to a speaker that requires a lower impedance output.

That said, your amplifier may use negative feedback to lower the output impedance and/or your speakers may not need the low damping factor, in which case I am speaking through my...

Cheers.

joeling39

« Reply #1217 on: 15 Oct 2014, 02:35 pm »
Yes, I'd realise that. The ProAc more suited to amps with low output impedance with greater current.

But I want my tubes.... :green:

Within the context of a given speaker: output power affects volume and expands the delta between quiet and loud; damping factor (amplifier output impedance relative to speaker load) determines bass control. Some speakers - especially mid to high Q drivers in most cabinet alignments (think designs that are OB or have little drivers trying to produce convincing bass) - will generally sound soft, flabby and uncontrolled unless driven by a low output impedance amp. Generally speaking, a triode output without an unusually high primary load or negative feedback will NOT have a low output impedance (there are some exceptions).

My point is that your speakers may need a low impedance drive. If this is the case, unless your amp resorts to large amounts of negative feedback - despite the big tube and relative big "power" - it is unlikely to provide the drive required. You may be able to mitigate offensive sonic issues with some component changes, but you will never address the fundamental issue while you match a high impedance output to a speaker that requires a lower impedance output.

That said, your amplifier may use negative feedback to lower the output impedance and/or your speakers may not need the low damping factor, in which case I am speaking through my...

Cheers.

ltr317

« Reply #1218 on: 15 Oct 2014, 08:32 pm »
Hey Paul - Enjoy it I will. I prefer to buy something I expect to genuinely enjoy and tend to upgrade about once every decade; hopefully the '777 SE fits the bill. Have been awaiting for a while though... I think AMR will wait until it is absolutely right before they release it, which is ideal for me! Their iFi stuff is also supposed to be excellent.

Keep well,
Ray.

Hi Ray,

Yes, Thorsten is a perfectionist, as well as the other AMR partners.  Not supposed, the iFi stuff goes through the roof in value.  If you're interested, you can read my three part iFi review or reviews from others about these devices. 

Cheers,
Paul

Soothsayerman

• - David
« Reply #1219 on: 16 Oct 2014, 06:55 am »
Yes, I'd realise that. The ProAc more suited to amps with low output impedance with greater current.

But I want my tubes.... :green:

Yeah ProAc and SE Tube Amps?  Not an ideal match, but who cares when you also have a Gryphon.  Doesn't the Gryphon have some outrageous damping factor and slew rate? I wonder if a Wavac would fair better... :scratch:

Nice problems to have! :lol: