Reasons for choosing Vapor

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Reasons for choosing Vapor
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2014, 10:15 pm »
That's fine.  Whatever makes you feel good.   :lol:

So, why are you SO interested in knowing exactly when and where I heard the TAD Ref 1s? I think your motive is exactly what I said it was. Answer my question.

And for everyone else, just so you know I'm NOT talking out my a$$, the Ref1s were at RMAF 2012 being demod with Peachtree's Grand Integrated. I got to stop by after hours and listen at length and to my own music I brought for demo. The acoustic space wasn't perfect and the amp's not as good as the $250k worth of TAD electronics that was driving the Evo 1s at RMAF 2013, but it was still a spectacular system and if I could own one speaker the Ref1s would be it.

For those not on a 6-figure budget I think the Vapors should be a top consideration. And even if you do, maybe Vapor will save you some cash :)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2014, 10:24 pm »
I am asking, because I have not had the opportunity to hear a ribbon tweeter yet. I wonder whether it gives a sound similar to electrostatics. Is that a fair description of the RAAL tweeter?

Thanks

Ok, gotcha. That's a bit of an easier question but jonbee explained it much better than I could. If you like a crisp, detailed, clear and accurate presentation then ribbons are worth a try. I have found newer ones or Vapor's implementation to be pretty "clean" as well, not adding any harshness that would be fatiguing over time. But they are not smooth and laid back.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2014, 12:39 am »
Simoon - I am a DIYer also.  I feel you said some of the things I was trying to say better than my thoughts came out.  For a person that builds their own speakers it is like having someone you know get called up to play in the major leagues.  It takes something special and an untold amount of hard work and talent to go from a person making their own speakers for themselves to possible the next big thing.  Hear the speakers and meet Ryan and Pete.  It will be easy to know what to do from there.
Howard

BobMajor

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2014, 01:24 am »
Regarding TAD at RMAF it only takes a Google search to find them:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/bel-canto-looks-good-black

guf

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2014, 06:08 am »
Their avatar is pretty amazing  :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2014, 08:29 am »
Vapor uses epoxy in their cabinet constructions  :thumb:

pankon

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jun 2014, 12:03 pm »
Vapor uses epoxy in their cabinet constructions  :thumb:

What is the benefit of that? Can you please elaborate?

daveaux419

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jul 2014, 03:01 pm »
Depending on the make up of the epoxy and the way that it is utilized, could help out in decreasing the resonance of the cabinet. The epoxy itself does not do it but the way it is integrated into the cabinet construction. I have worked with different types of this material for many years and not all of them are created equal. We have always found that it is the material make up and the way it is used that is critical. Just some thoughts from an old cajun :)

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #28 on: 1 Jul 2014, 03:23 pm »
What is the benefit of that? Can you please elaborate?

We use it in lots of ways because our cabinet construction is so unique, typical cabinet making techniques and adhesives such as yellow carpenters glue simply don't apply.  I also use it extensively to seal cabinets both inside and out, for grain filling on porous veneers, in prepping painted surfaces, and as a structural gap filler.  Also nice about epoxy is that it can be tailored to purpose with all the different fillers available. 

The only downside to epoxy is the price!