Latest Amplifier Builds

bengomez

Re: Latest Amplifier Builds
« Reply #40 on: 10 Feb 2009, 10:25 am »
That amp looks very clean!

I guess the only question I have is about that single (aluminum?) plate that the modules are attaching to.  How hot would that plate get under load of say 5x UCD180 modules?

Here are a few pictures showing what I'm talking about.

The aluminum plate you refer to is what we call the adaptor plate.   It serves two purposes.  First, to mount the modules and second to act as a heat spreader transferring some of the thermal energy to the steel chassis (or heatsinks).     

Unfortunately Hypex didn't standardize the hole mounting pattern so we have two different mounting patterns.   Our adaptor plate is universal so it works with either UCD400 or UCD180.

Here is the UCD400 pattern.

Here is the UCD180.

In the UCD180 builds the aluminum adaptor plate and the chassis is all you need to dissipate heat.   The five channel UCD180 builds run very cool and using the heatsinks was a waste of space and money.   The UCD400 puts out a lot more heat though and our five channel builds needed additional cooling.   

You will notice we use the same aluminum adaptor plate but now the modules mount in a different orientation and we have two heatsink extrusions that mount to the adaptor plate.   You only need one heatsink for 2 & 3 channel UCD400 builds and two of them for UCD400 4 & 5 channel builds.   They all mount to the same aluminum adaptor plate and they have the same mounting hole pattern to fasten them to the bottom of the chassis. 

With the adaptor plate and our custom heatsink extrusion mounting the modules and fastening the entire assembly to the chassis only takes minutes.   It used to take hours to drill & mount modules when we where doing it on a custom chassis.   You don't appreciate these things until you have lived without them.  :-)

Yeah the aluminum plate called adaptor plate... yeah it serve as to mount the modules and as a heat sink...