Welcome to GAS

dwarfed centipede

Re: Welcome to GAS
« Reply #100 on: 23 Jan 2009, 08:41 pm »
Welcome to the club.  Maybe you can bring your equipment to the next GAS party so we can demo it in a larger room?  :D

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #101 on: 23 Jan 2009, 10:27 pm »
Welcome to the club.  Maybe you can bring your equipment to the next GAS party so we can demo it in a larger room?  :D

I made the mistake of carrying the first monoblock (unboxed) from the car into the apartment.
I grabbed my Salamander rack with casters for the second...much easier!!!

The Thiels (at ~170lbs each) are going to be even more fun to move

drbrad98

« Reply #102 on: 1 Feb 2009, 06:08 pm »
I've been lurking for quite awhile and thought I'd introduce myself...I'm also out in Lake St Louis, and was in U.City previously. System-wise, I'm running a Musical Fidelity X-Ray V3 CD player, into an X-DAC and X-10V3 tube line stage. This goes into a BAT VK-300x integrated amp, then out into Anthony Gallo Reference 3 speakers on Bright Star Audio stands, with a Gallo Reference 3 SA subwoofer amp powering the low end. Not the most high-end system imaginable, but I think it sounds pretty great.

Music-wise, I go in a lot of different directions; I'm a classically-trained pianist and worked as a rock and jazz keyboard player for many years before going back to school to get my MD. CD's in the last couple weeks include "Radiation" by UKZ (the new band with Eddie Jobson from UK and Trey Gunn from recent King Crimson), "Floating Point" by John McLaughlin, "Upojenie" by Pat Metheny and Anna Maria Jopek (absolutely gorgeous, BTW), "Yesterdays" by Jarrett/Peacock/Dejohnette, "Transformation," by Tal Wilkenfeld, "Train of Thought" by Dream Theater, and "Free at Last" by Josh Fix. I listen to a lot of older jazz (tons of Miles, Trane, Wayne, Chick, Herbie, Bill Evans, Jarrett pre- and post- trio) and newer stuff (Mehldau, Aaron Parks, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Wallace Roney, Chris Potter, Adam Rogers, huge Metheny and Lyle Mays fan). I also do a lot of synth oriented prog stuff, a fair amount of random classical stuff (recent favorites would be Martha Argerich doing Shostakovich 1, and Pierre-Laurent Aimard's "Hommage a Messiaen"), and some electronica.

Looking forward to hearing about people's systems and music recommendations!

Brad

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #103 on: 1 Feb 2009, 06:22 pm »
Welcome!  As a doctor, I assume you have found a way to treat your own Audio Nervosa?
 :lol:

This is a great group of folks!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #104 on: 1 Feb 2009, 06:27 pm »
Welcome to the club Brad. Hope to see you at one of the parties soon!  :wave:

Bob

drbrad98

« Reply #105 on: 2 Feb 2009, 01:40 am »
Welcome!  As a doctor, I assume you have found a way to treat your own Audio Nervosa?

I think that's probably terminal.

MerRev

« Reply #106 on: 2 Feb 2009, 03:41 am »
welcome aboard Brad- there's a few other crazies that live relatively close.  Sounds like you've assembled some great stuff and the Gallos with sub amp in place could make for a tasty listen. 

Merrev

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #107 on: 2 Feb 2009, 03:45 am »

I think that's probably terminal.

Uh, can I have your stuff when you are gone?   :icon_twisted:

Scott F.

« Reply #108 on: 2 Feb 2009, 03:49 am »
Welcome aboard Brad  :thumb:

steve k

« Reply #109 on: 2 Feb 2009, 03:12 pm »
Welcome aboard Brad. Sounds like a great system and I like your taste in music. Another Messiean freak--that makes two of us! :lol:
steve

RSquires

• Main System
« Reply #110 on: 2 Feb 2009, 04:36 pm »
Welcome Brad. Looks like you have a nice setup. :)

Rick

sturgus

« Reply #111 on: 2 Feb 2009, 09:56 pm »
Welcome aboard Brad.  :thumb: I like your taste in music also, hope to meet you soon.
Sturgus

vhiner

« Reply #112 on: 26 Jun 2009, 10:16 pm »
I just stumbled on to this site and was impressed with the systems and community. By way of introduction, I live in South City and have the following system: Thiel CS3.7's (still breaking in) Classe Delta 2200 amp,  Meitner Supermodified BiDat DAC, CEC TL5100 Belt-driven transport, Shunyata power gear and Harmonic Tech wire.

My musical tastes cover just about everything except opera (I've tried but I can't find the hook) I'm currently considering adding preamp to my system but have NO idea where to start and would love to audition something equal to my system with tubes. Anyway, just wanted to say "hi" to fellow audiophiles out there.

Vance

steve k

« Reply #113 on: 26 Jun 2009, 11:25 pm »
Welcome aboard, Vance. You're welcome to hear my VTL 5.5 preamp. It's fairly neutral for tubes but quite resolving and dynamic.
steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #114 on: 26 Jun 2009, 11:36 pm »
Well Vance, it's a shame all we listen to is opera.  :cry:
 :wink:
Just kidding. Don't think I've ever heard opera at any get together.

Welcome. Hope to see you soon!  :wave:

Bob

vhiner

« Reply #115 on: 27 Jun 2009, 12:48 am »
Steve, I've always wanted to hear VTL gear. I've been running my BiDat direct into various amps via balanced cables for years and it's pretty amazing. However, now that I might be able to afford a decent preamp, I've been told I should check one out. What year did yours come out?

vhiner

« Reply #116 on: 27 Jun 2009, 12:50 am »
Bob,

That's a relief.  :D  Let me know when the next gathering is.

Vance

steve k

« Reply #117 on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:36 am »
What year did yours come out?

Mine is a 2001 model. I'm not sure when this model originally came out. Maybe we can try it out in your system. One of my monoblocks is currently down so my system is a little out of balance right now. The 5.5 has balanced outputs. I can bring all my opera collection. No one else will listen to it.  :lol:

steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #118 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:10 am »
Let me know when the next gathering is.
Just keep tuned in to the GAS Circle for further gatherings.  aa

Again, Welcome!
Bob

vhiner

« Reply #119 on: 28 Jun 2009, 12:21 am »
Steve,

I'd love to try your VTL in my system...and I'd be happy to listen to anything you bring. :wink:   Email me when you're in the mood. I'd love to have another pair of audiophile ears to access...yours....not an extra pair on my ugly head....that'd be too confusing.

Vance