New to the hobby. Setting up new system

ernest787

Re: New to the hobby. Setting up new system
« Reply #40 on: 26 Apr 2013, 03:45 am »
ok guys.  this is probably a silly question but i'm needing a little more help.  All the components and the speakers have arrived!!!!!!!  I was getting ready to set up my system and realized the sub does not have a high pass filter and my pre amp does not have sub output.

For reference my system is as follows:

Crown XLS 2000 amp
ARC SP14 preamp
Rega RP1 TT
Salk STRT
Sub

In my research, am I correct that I can use 2 Y Adapters and connect that to the L & R Main Outputs on my ARC preamp.  Then I'd connect the subs Low Level R to one of the R adapters and do the same with the L.  I'd then run the R from the pre amp to the Amp and the second L to the amp.

That maybe confusing, so here is a picture. 

any help with this is appreciated.  my budget is blown at this point so i'm hoping the Y Adapter will work, even if i'm currently not envisioning it correctly. 

Thanks!

srb

« Reply #41 on: 26 Apr 2013, 04:10 am »
I don't know if there were several versions of the SP14 preamp relative to outputs, but all of the photos I see of the back panel have two sets of Main L/R outputs.  If that is the case with yours, then using one set for the amp and one set for the sub is generally preferable to using a Y-adapter, as the two sets of outputs are usually buffered or isolated and won't have a detrimental affect on the output impedance of the preamp, which is always a possibility when they are passively split.

Yes, the main speakers will be running full range without a high pass filter, but many people run their setups that way.  Generally, you can play them a little louder with less distortion when high passed, but there is no hard and fast rule.  Many people who use REL subwoofers prefer to use the speaker level connections, running the mains full range and just adding the missing octave(s) with the subwoofer.

Steve

jimdgoulding

« Reply #42 on: 26 Apr 2013, 04:43 am »
Welcome to music appreciation.  Maybe yer next topic will be about speaker placement within your room.  Hopefully members will give you the insight you need until then.

ernest787

« Reply #43 on: 26 Apr 2013, 11:30 am »
Yeah normally the ARC has 2 sets of main outputs, but purchasing mine used the other set of outputs has been removed and closed off. Down the road I can probably get this fixed, but until then I wanted to make sure the y adapter would work.

I don't know if there were several versions of the SP14 preamp relative to outputs, but all of the photos I see of the back panel have two sets of Main L/R outputs.  If that is the case with yours, then using one set for the amp and one set for the sub is generally preferable to using a Y-adapter, as the two sets of outputs are usually buffered or isolated and won't have a detrimental affect on the output impedance of the preamp, which is always a possibility when they are passively split.

Yes, the main speakers will be running full range without a high pass filter, but many people run their setups that way.  Generally, you can play them a little louder with less distortion when high passed, but there is no hard and fast rule.  Many people who use REL subwoofers prefer to use the speaker level connections, running the mains full range and just adding the missing octave(s) with the subwoofer.

Steve

Austin08

« Reply #44 on: 26 Apr 2013, 09:35 pm »
In your case, I would use speaker level connection.  :thumb:

ernest787

« Reply #45 on: 27 Apr 2013, 02:16 am »
I've got maybe 2 hours of listening into the system now and all I can say is WOW!!

The crown was an excellent buy. I can't hear the fan at all. It pushes the speakers wonderfully.

I put on a record by Dave Hause and it sounded like I was sitting in front of him while he played the piano. I was blown away. I can't wait to get deeper into the system

Ohhhh. And this is all sans sub. I have to hook that up still

ernest787

« Reply #46 on: 16 May 2013, 11:01 pm »
Just a quick update...

I finally got my sub hooked up and wow!!!!!

My only issue now is that the sub is causing bass rumble with my TT.  I'm going to buy some new feet to try and help decouple the TT and possible the stand as well to see if that helps, but when I listen to MP3s with the sub on, the speakers sound even better. 

I know everyone always says the same thing, but I'm rediscovering my music collection now.  The clarity in the speakers just continually blows my mind.  Listening to the piano in Dave Hause's Cmon Kid is unreal.  I can close my eyes and picture him playing for me. 

I'm going to try and convince my wife to let me get a pair of SCST for the tv room now.

Austin08

« Reply #47 on: 16 May 2013, 11:42 pm »
MP3????????? Salk speakers deserved more than that.  :duh:

ernest787

« Reply #48 on: 17 May 2013, 01:22 am »
I agree. I prefer vinyl but can't use the sub with my TT right now because of the bass rumble so I've settled for listening to some mp3s and what not to give the sub some play. Ideal... No. But it shows how truly amazing these speakers are