New to the hobby. Setting up new system

Carl V

Re: New to the hobby. Setting up new system
« Reply #20 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:46 pm »
Agreed...Halo is 'upmarket' & probably better.
However I too have owned & still do own Parasound products.
I would never have described them as distorted. Neither Did Steven Stone.
In fact he described them as darn good just a tad shy of some of the best
High Resolution SS amps at the time.  Mr Stone doesn't sugar coat.

But then YMMV, this hobby is all about preferences...imho

TJHUB

« Reply #21 on: 4 Apr 2013, 06:49 pm »
Just so I don't continue to come off as some opinionated jerk...

The Parasound 2250 I had sounded cheap to me.  I think this means it was a little thin in the midrange and there was some sort of odd distorted sound in the upper midrange/lower treble region.  I had upgraded from some Emotiva gear at the time, and ended up being unhappy.  It took me some time to realize the 2100 preamp was not the issue.  I finally took the plunge and picked up a pair of Odyssey Audio monoblocks, and the difference in sound was very obvious. 

A friend of mine has a Halo amp, and when we compared it to the Odyssey amps, they were more the same than different.  I've never had an issue with the sound I get from my amps, and I know they aren't anything magical.  I feel pretty strongly about the strange distorted sound of the 2250 amp.  All I can say is that clarity is NOT a "preference" in my book.  I always say that everything sounds good until you hear something better.  Many times it's a curse when you do.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #22 on: 4 Apr 2013, 07:51 pm »
The Synergy 240 mentioned about in this thread is an outstanding amplifier for you. In addition to the very low price for a current production amplifier, it was built in October, 2012, so there are two and a half years left on the factory parts and labor warranty, assuming that the seller is the original owner.

You can read a review of the amplifier's big brother here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0912/audio_by_van_alstine_synergy_450.htm

The Synergy 240 is identical sounding, just lower power but plenty for your speakers.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

ernest787

« Reply #23 on: 4 Apr 2013, 11:09 pm »
does anyone have any experience with the Prima Luna Prologue 3? 

mick wolfe

« Reply #24 on: 5 Apr 2013, 12:02 am »
I've never used the Prima Luna gear, but I have used 3 different tube amplifiers with the SongTowers and have gotten excellent results each time. Currently using a Line Magnetic 845 based SET and I'm getting great dynamics and a stellar sense of ease. This speaker just presents a great look for a wide variety of amplifiers.....and tube amps are definitely in the mix.

Nuance

« Reply #25 on: 5 Apr 2013, 01:34 pm »
Again, if it were me I'd get a Parasound classic 2100 preamp and a Halo or AVA amp.  FYI, though, Parasound will soon be releasing the P5 preamp, which is a Halo version of the 2100 with "better" components and features.  It's run just over $1000, though, so you're still getting more bang for buck with the 2100.
http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289:preamp-evolution-parasound-and-primare&catid=93:feature-articles&Itemid=354
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2013, 01:15 pm by Nuance »

ernest787

« Reply #26 on: 5 Apr 2013, 03:11 pm »
I'm going to make a decision by this weekend. I was really wanting to at least get a hybrid that had tubes for the phono stage, but if it doesn't work out then I think I'm going to snag the parasound and the Ava or halo amp.

Of course something else could come up between now and then lol

Gzerro

« Reply #27 on: 5 Apr 2013, 03:23 pm »
I'm going to make a decision by this weekend. I was really wanting to at least get a hybrid that had tubes for the phono stage, but if it doesn't work out then I think I'm going to snag the parasound and the Ava or halo amp.

Of course something else could come up between now and then lol

I am not aware of any sub-$1000 preamps with both a tube phono stage and bass management. Actually that is true at any price as far as I know. If you find one let us know.

If you primarily listen to vinyl, a dedicated phono stage is probably going to be something you want to have in the long run anyway.

srb

« Reply #28 on: 5 Apr 2013, 03:31 pm »
FYI, though, Parasound will soon be releasing the P5 preamp, which is a Halo version of the 2100 with "better" components and features.  It's run just over $1000, though, so you're still getting more bang for buck with the 2100.
http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289:preamp-evolution-parasound-and-primare&catid=93:feature-articles&Itemid=354

Actually according to your link, 40% over $1000 at $1400.  Still, with an onboard 24/192 DAC that's said to offer "higher levels of performance than currently offered by the Zdac", it's an interesting piece.

I like the Halo series in the new black, but it will obviously be some time before they would start to appear on the used market.

Steve
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2013, 08:26 pm by srb »

Nuance

« Reply #29 on: 5 Apr 2013, 05:55 pm »
If you primarily listen to vinyl, a dedicated phono stage is probably going to be something you want to have in the long run anyway.

^ This.
Actually according to your link, 40% over $1000 at $1400.  Still, with an onboard 24/192 DAC that's said to offer "higher levels of performance than currently offered by the Zdac", it's an interesting piece.

I like the Halo series in the new black, but it will obviously be some time before they would start to appear on the used market.

Steve

Steve

Whoops - thanks for the correction.  Wow, that's a bit pricey, but most dealers allow 10-15% off MSRP.  It's definitely tempting for me to upgrade to it, as then I'll have all Halo electronics.  If the P5 with built-in DAC sounds better than my 2100 with my Digitial Link III DAC, I could sell the both and be half way there price wise.   Hmm...
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2013, 01:14 pm by Nuance »

ernest787

« Reply #30 on: 6 Apr 2013, 08:22 pm »
I ended up purchasing the ARC SP-14.  I read some reviews and the phono stage is suppose to be outstanding.  Worst case, if I don't enjoy it I should be able to resale it fairly easily.

Now to get an amp!

Gzerro

« Reply #31 on: 8 Apr 2013, 04:25 pm »
I ended up purchasing the ARC SP-14.  I read some reviews and the phono stage is suppose to be outstanding.  Worst case, if I don't enjoy it I should be able to resale it fairly easily.

Now to get an amp!

Congrats! That looks like a great piece of gear.

ernest787

« Reply #32 on: 9 Apr 2013, 06:16 pm »
Went with the crown xls 2000 amp.

Got a decent deal on eBay. If it doesn't work out I'm sure I can easily get my money back.

Just closed on the house and got funding done today so I'll be able to put these new toys to use very soon!!!

chargedmr2

« Reply #33 on: 10 Apr 2013, 01:41 am »
Went with the crown xls 2000 amp.

Got a decent deal on eBay. If it doesn't work out I'm sure I can easily get my money back.

Just closed on the house and got funding done today so I'll be able to put these new toys to use very soon!!!

Let us know how it goes.  This might be the first pair of Salks powered by a Crown amp (or at least the first pair I've noticed).  Go easy on those tweeters!

asliarun

« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2013, 04:51 am »
I have a parasound 2125 with emotiva usp-1. Very happy with the sound for what I paid. It sounds a bit bright to my ears but that could also be my speakers which are totem model 1s.

You mentioned you are looking for a hybrid. Have you considered the sphinx by rogue audio? I've also been considering this amp as an option to simplify my setup.

I haven't heard it but love the concept and have only been hearing good things about them.

jsalk

« Reply #35 on: 14 Apr 2013, 12:53 pm »
Let us know how it goes.  This might be the first pair of Salks powered by a Crown amp (or at least the first pair I've noticed).  Go easy on those tweeters!

Not the first.  We have a SoundScape 10 owner in CA who ditched his high $ tube amps and went with a pair of Crown 2500 amps.  He drives each speaker with one amp, powering the woofers with one channel and the midrange/tweeter sections with the other. He seems very happy with the results.

Based on his feedback, I purchased one and ran an experiment using a tube amp to drive the midrange/tweeter sections of a pair of SoundScape 8's and the Crown amp to drive the woofer sections.  The gain of these two amps was obviously different, but I could use the volume controls on the Crown to set its gain to match the tube amp and everything tracked perfectly from there.

This model Crown amp is digital class D and has a fan.  But the fan is very quiet compared to some other similar amps I have used in the past (I didn't really notice it in use).  It seemed to do a good job driving the woofer sections of the SS8's with plenty of headroom (which should be expected with 775 watts per channel into 4 ohms).

- Jim
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm by jsalk »

chargedmr2

« Reply #36 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:20 am »
Jim,

That's an interesting combination, but does make pretty good sense.  I guess those of us running a subwoofer may well end up with a similar combination of amplification, but I've not heard of going this route for driving the woofers of the mains.  I recall a few HT3 owners describing them as power hungry, so I guess this would be one way of alleviating that concern with reasonably priced amps?
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2013, 01:29 pm by chargedmr2 »

ernest787

« Reply #37 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:11 pm »
I'm even more excited about my crown purchase now that I know Jim has run a similar set up with his speakers. Obviously mine are no SS8 but I'm confident it should work out great.

squirrel_nut

« Reply #38 on: 18 Apr 2013, 09:39 am »
i really like EAD used equipment when you can find it. not much out there right now...

this Conrad Johnson pre would seem to be exactly what you are asking for:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conrad-Johnson-PV10A-Stereo-Tube-Audiophile-Preamplifier-Phono-/290900289032?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item43bb022608#ht_430wt_1172

the AVA 240 amp would be a great match!

ernest787

« Reply #39 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:05 pm »
I actually looked at one of the Conrad Johnson preamps but it sold for more than I could spend.

My amps showed up yesterday so now I'm just waiting on the speakers! Can't wait to give all these new toys a whirl