Behringer deq2496 question

tdangelo

« on: 10 Sep 2005, 04:27 am »
if this unit is fed via the analog outputs of a Squeezebox (using RCA-XLR converters) and then the analog outputs of the 2496 to my amps will the internal DAC of the 2496 be used?  I DONT want to use the 2496 internal DAC, just its EQ capabilities.  Any one know the answer?  :)

Thanks

ekovalsky

« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:22 am »
Tony, using the 2496 in that way would invoke both the DAC and ADC stages of the Behringer, since it does its processing in the digital domain.  Your analog input would be digitized for DSP manipulation, then converted back to analog for output to the amps.

For starters, I'd suggest feeding the 2496 with a digital signal from the S/PDIF output of the SB.  That way, you avoid an DAC stage in the SB2 then an ADC stage in the 2496.  Plus you don't have to mess around with the RCA-XLR converter.

Then, you could use the DACs of the 2496 to drive your amps.  Or, for better sound, feed an external DAC with volume control (such as Benchmark DAC-1, Grace m902, or Stello DP200) from the digital output of the 2496.  The analog outputs of the DAC would then drive the amps.

This approach will also give you a sweet headphone amp.  The Grace in particular is an awesome DAC and a great headphone amp.

JeffB

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2005, 07:05 am »
Are you sure the 2496 has a digital output?  From reading the literature on the Behringer site, I didn't think it had one.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2005, 07:16 am »
It has toslink out.

Rich Carlson

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2005, 11:14 am »
Actually, it has both toslink and AES/EBU digital outputs.

CornellAlum

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2005, 11:24 am »
I am considering getting one of these soon, and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to it's performance, uses, etc.

Thanks!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2005, 11:44 am »
Quote from: CornellAlum
I am considering getting one of these soon, and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to it's performance, uses, etc.

Thanks!

The Behringer products aren't the most user friendly, but they do offer good performance for the money.

If you use it in a purely digital role, it won't be that noticeable in your system.  

Its weak point is definitely its analog performance.

George

tdangelo

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2005, 12:35 pm »
thanks for all the replies - from what I can tell the 2496 has digital inputs via Toslink and AES.  The SB has an spdif output in RCA form and optical toslink - analog output via RCA.  I guess I could use Toslink but I've tried it before and it didn't sound nearly as good as the RCA digital output.  I guess what I'm looking to do is use the spdif or analog outputs on the SB (getting the full mod by Wayne at The Boulder Cable Company) into some kind of EQ and then direct to my Nuforce amps.  I wanted to simplify my system.  The stock SB direct to my amps using RCA out sounds suprisingly good!  I'm sure its gonna sound many times better when the modified SB arrives.  Hmmm.....

Thanks

Tony

Occam

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2005, 02:08 pm »
tdangelo -

a substantial number of folks have reported very good performance using glass, rather than plastic, toslinks. Folks sell these regularly on ebay - do a search on 'glass toslink'. I've no personal experience with these so it is very second hand in nature. There is a lot of discussion of these on the cable and digital forums on AudioAsylum.

Also, Davey, as semi-regular poster here, seems to be quite knowledgeble about the Behringer dsp products. You might PM him and ask him to join the fray.

Davey

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2005, 02:35 pm »
I don't have a DEQ2496.  I do have a DSP1124P, DCX2496 and DSP8024 (with digital I/O option.)  I don't think using the ADC and DAC portion of these units is necessarily a bad thing.  They're more optimally used upstream of the system volume control where the signal levels are higher and not controlled by the volume control.  In that usage they work pretty good.

I think they have the potential to fix a lot more problems than they cause.  :)

Cheers,

Davey.

CornellAlum

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2005, 04:26 pm »
Quote from: zybar

Thanks!

The Behringer products aren't the most user friendly, but they do offer good performance for the money.

If you use it in a purely digital role, it won't be that noticeable in your system.  

Its weak point is definitely its analog performance.

George

I am strictly digital all the way to the modified panny's outputs, so I think it would work for me!  Thanks George.

tdangelo

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:20 pm »
Occam:  thanks - I did try the glass toslink a few months ago and ended up send it back pretty quick.  I was comparing it to a spdif VH Audio Pulsar w/Nextgen RCA's -  the toslink sound dead, hehe compared to the VH.

ekovalsky

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2005, 02:44 am »
Tony, are you planning to replace the TacT with the 2496 ?  I ask because you can do EQ with the RCS by manipulating the target curve.  While not as flexible or straightforward as the 2496, you can get the same end result.

Rich Carlson

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2005, 10:06 am »

Thanks!

I use one strictly through the digital inputs and outputs, and I love it.  Very flexible EQ; steep learning curve, but easy enough to use once you do learn. The auto-eq is a nice feature, but you don't want to go for flat - use the "room" feature that creates a 1 dB/octave downward slope in the target curve, or set your own, and remember the limitations of measurement - move the mic, and you'll get different results.  I replaced a z-Systems RDQ-1 with the DEQ2496, and find the Behringer just as transparent.  The analog out on the Behringer is not bad, though not as good as my Benchmark; I think it is the analog input/ADC that is the main limit in the analog domain. Highly recommended!

tdangelo

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2005, 01:09 pm »
Eric,  I was thinking of selling the 2.0S and just running the Squeezebox direct into my amps.  I really like the Tact but I'm ALWAYS messing with it.  I just want to listen to music  :)  I already use the Paraeq in the Tact and the corrections.  I was thinking of the 2496 to replace the eq function if needed but I don't see any way of using it with the Squeezebox.  Plus the DAC inside the SB may be better than the 2496.  I guess what I really am looking for is a digital EQ that accepts RCA SPDIF.  The Squeezebox only has RCA/Toslink SPDIF and analog RCA.

thanks

Tony

ekovalsky

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2005, 04:20 pm »
Quote from: tdangelo
I guess what I really am looking for is a digital EQ that accepts RCA SPDIF.

Well, what about inserting an upsampling or reclocking device between the SB and Behringer ?  A used Genesis Digital Lens would fit the bill.  This will not only cut down your jitter immensely (and I would suspect there is plenty in the S/PDIF output of the SB) but easily convert the S/PDIF to AES-EBU for output to the Behringer.

It also may be worth trying the glass Toslink cable.  I do think that an electrical connection is better when the hardware (pulse transformers, capacitors, clock, jack) is properly designed.  I don't know enough about the SB to know that is the case, and if the electrical output is not particularly well designed the optical out may be just as good or even better.

tdangelo

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2005, 04:34 pm »
Thanks - the jitter on the SB has been measured to be VERY low - thats one of its greatest attributes - Zybar is using one and loves it from his comments.  The Behringer will take toslink so that may be the way to go.  Now I wonder which DAC sounds better - the SB or DEQ2496.  Hehe..

Thanks  :D

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2005, 04:36 pm »
Quote from: tdangelo
Thanks - the jitter on the SB has been measured to be VERY low - thats one of its greatest attributes - Zybar is using one and loves it from his comments.  The Behringer will take toslink so that may be the way to go.  Now I wonder which DAC sounds better - the SB or DEQ2496.  Hehe..

Thanks  :D

Yes I do.  :singing:

George

miklorsmith

« Reply #18 on: 11 Nov 2005, 04:06 pm »
I'm confused!  Being newer than new to this, I'd like to pick up a 2496 and would like to use it directly from a CDP and/or Squeezebox, with output going to a Monica-2 DAC or Ack! 2.0 (I do love toys).  Potentially, I'd like to have two inputs to the 2496 with a single out to the DAC.

The S/PDIF interfaces on the Behringer units are optical?  And the "Word Clock" jack is an output jack?  The AES/EBU in/out is 110 ohm, right?  Does this mean I can't get a cable with an AES/EBU on one end and an RCA on the other to connect to all my other stuff?

How hard would it be for Behringer to make the same piece, with home connectors?  Sheesh.

I'm trying to figure out if I can even configure this beast to do what I want and what cables I need to make it happen.  Thanks in advance.

warnerwh

« Reply #19 on: 11 Nov 2005, 04:57 pm »
You can get XLR to RCA's and they will work fine. Also using the RCA in and out works good too.