Townshend Rock 7 Initial Impressions

roscoeiii

Re: Townshend Rock 7 Initial Impressions
« Reply #60 on: 7 May 2012, 04:20 am »
Thx for that info neobop. I do like getting a turntable education.

roscoeiii

« Reply #61 on: 7 May 2012, 04:32 am »
OK, I am calling it a night on the comparison of the Townshend and WTA. Hope this day's worth of comments was helpful or at least entertaining for y'all.

But ultimately, these are both fabulous tables that come down to a matter of personal preference.

Where I think the Townshend has an edge is the suspension and the upgradeability factor (tonearms mostly, but I believe that there are motor upgrades possible as well). And there is a solidity to the Townshend's mostly metal construction.

But the Amadeus with its built in arm lists for $400 less than the Townshend without an arm. And add a Rega RB301 to the Townshend and the difference becomes around $900.

I could be happy for a long long time with either.

And to all a good night.

steveblezy

« Reply #62 on: 7 May 2012, 11:49 am »
Congratulations on the testing. It sounds like both of these tables sound amazing, and yes, it will most likely come down to personal taste at the end.

Looking forward to more

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 7 May 2012, 11:51 am »
I'm not starting to see why some people have > 1 table.   :o

roscoeiii

« Reply #64 on: 27 May 2012, 05:46 pm »
Stay tuned folks, I just pulled the trigger on an Audiomods Series IV arm with micrometer VTA adjustment. A couple of reviews, top one includes this Audiomods arm on a Rock 7:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/turntables/audiomods-series-iii-tonearm-695592/review

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/audiomods_e.html

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0709/audiomods_rega_rb250.htm

We will see how a tonearm upgrade affects things.

Not that the Rock sounds bad with the modest Rega RB 301.

doak

« Reply #65 on: 27 May 2012, 08:14 pm »
Impressive reviews roscoeiii.  The Rock 7/Audiomod combo looks like a true contender.

As I was fortunate to find a demo (like new) WTA for about 30% off retail I'll just have to try to stay happy with what I have ---- no slouch for sure,   :weights:

roscoeiii

« Reply #66 on: 27 May 2012, 08:22 pm »
Thanks doak,

Yes the only reasons I could afford the Amadeus and the Rock 7 were getting good deals on each table (a great deal on the Rock in fact). Both are stellar tables. I did like not having to think about tonearm upgrades with the Amadeus though...

sunnydaze

« Reply #67 on: 22 Jun 2012, 02:54 pm »
Hey Roscoe....

Don't know if you are still arm shopping, but if so you might wanna consider this Kuzma Stogi:

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Tone-Arms/Kuzma/Stogi/Factory-installed-Cardas-Wires/65046

Get it down into the 600 - 700 range and IMO it's an excellent deal.  I'm a big Kuzma fan -- currently use Stogi Reference arm on an older Townshend Rock 3 table.  I think it betters my previous SME V.

I also previously owned a Kuzma Stogi "s" / Stabi "s" setep.  Excellent stuff.

Of course I can't comment on how the Stogi stacks up to your new Audiomods arm.  A local buddy also has a Rock 3 table and he uses a Michell Techno-arm, another Rega variant.  I thought my Stogi Ref beat it by quite a bit when compared in same system, with same cartridge.  Just FWIW.

roscoeiii

« Reply #68 on: 22 Jun 2012, 03:04 pm »
Oh man, that is mighty tempting. Right now I am troubleshooting something that is wrong with one of the channels of my Audiomods. Both the seller and Jeff are super helpful in getting this sorted out. I will file away that Kuzma rec if I end up getting the itch after the Audiomods gets worked out.

roscoeiii

« Reply #69 on: 29 Jul 2012, 01:06 am »
Well, now I have gone and done it. Grabbed a Morch DP-6 for the Rock. Still need to get the Audiomods wiring worked out (if that is the issue, just waiting for a dealer buddy to get back to help me trouble shoot). But I got nice big paycheck right as a Moerch DP-6 came up for sale. Wow. Even with just a Shure M91ED with a JICO SAS stylus, this sounds fabulous. Biggest noticeable improvement is definitely in the highs. But I am only just beginning the listening...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #70 on: 29 Jul 2012, 11:03 am »
Awesome!  Those Moerchs sure are SEXY!

I do hope you get your Audiomods problem worked out shortly.

sunnydaze

« Reply #71 on: 29 Jul 2012, 06:05 pm »

My buddy picked up that Stogi.  I just set it up on my Rock 3 with his new'ish Dyna 20X-H cart.  I don't think my vinyl has ever sounded better.  HUMONGOUS, present, smooth and impactful.  Real WOW factor.  SRV "Couldn't Stand the Weather" was muy impressivo.    :thumb:

It shouldn't, but I think it betters my Stogi Ref with my Dyna 20X-H.  But my cartridge has heavy use with a noticebly worn stylus.  On top of that, his Stogi is more recent and wired with Cardas while my Stogi Ref is older and has no longer used Straightwire.  Can't be sure, but this be narrowing the gap as well.

Morerchs are real sweet looking arms, always wanted to take one for a spin.  Have fun!

roscoeiii

« Reply #72 on: 23 Feb 2013, 12:26 am »
Been a while since I checked in here, but thought I'd give a lil update.

Had a chance to grab a Moerch DP-8 that was used as a show demo and for some reviews, and so traded up for it. Wow, does this turn the already bass-capable Rock into a bass machine. Really great arm.

The Audiomods I was using earlier did eventually get sent back to them to get the wiring reworked. And I got it back a week or so ago. So I can finally list it for sale. A killer arm for sure, as folks here have attested. Not sure I would've originally moved to a Moerch if not for the need for an arm while that Audiomods situation was being sorted out.

And lastly, I should have mentioned earlier in this thread that my Rock 7 does not have a record clamp. It wasn't included in the sale, but I have been told that this is a crucial part of the table. I will try to hear a Rock with and without the clamp at AXPONA, and let y'all know what I hear. But with this new tonearm purchase, my audio budget is shot until I sell some more gear. So grabbing the clamp will be a bit down the road.

sunnydaze

« Reply #73 on: 23 Feb 2013, 01:17 am »
On my Rock 3 the clamp is a very critical part of the system. 

It's a simple yet ingeneous and effective system.  A thin plastic washer (about 1 inch in diameter) fits over the spindle under the LP.  This basically raises the LP off the platter by just a bit.  The clamp is about 3 inches in diameter and made such that only the outer edge of it presses down on the vinyl.  The center screw is threaded and it screws down into the spindle.  As it's tightened down,  the LP is effectively "belled" over the washer / spacer that the record sits on.  It  flattens out all warps, and firmly locks the LP onto the platter.  This effectively dampens out vibrations and gives a very nice solidity to the sound.  But it does more than that.   Without it, warped records are a problem.  Since the trough sits over the LP surface with little clearance, warped undulations rub on the underside of the trough.  So the clamp is not just a nice thing to have to firm things up, it is an absolute requirement for warped records!

I'm not sure if the clamp is just as critical for the 7, but I gotta believe it is.  The trough mechanism is the same, so warped records will therefore have the same clearance issues.

Definitely try to get one.  I believe it will even improve the sound of flat records.

roscoeiii

« Reply #74 on: 23 Feb 2013, 01:22 am »
Yeah sunnydaze, what you say mirrors what other folks have told me too. I will be getting around to one, but I may need to wait a few paychecks or get some other gear sold...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #75 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:11 am »

It's a simple yet ingeneous and effective system.  A thin plastic washer (about 1 inch in diameter) fits over the spindle under the LP.  This basically raises the LP off the platter by just a bit.  The clamp is about 3 inches in diameter and made such that only the outer edge of it presses down on the vinyl.  The center screw is threaded and it screws down into the spindle.  As it's tightened down,  the LP is effectively "belled" over the washer / spacer that the record sits on.  It  flattens out all warps, and firmly locks the LP onto the platter.  This effectively dampens out vibrations and gives a very nice solidity to the sound.  But it does more than that.   Without it, warped records are a problem.  Since the trough sits over the LP surface with little clearance, warped undulations rub on the underside of the trough.  So the clamp is not just a nice thing to have to firm things up, it is an absolute requirement for warped records!

I'm not sure if the clamp is just as critical for the 7, but I gotta believe it is.  The trough mechanism is the same, so warped records will therefore have the same clearance issues.

Definitely try to get one.  I believe it will even improve the sound of flat records.

Sounds like the clamp system Oracle used (and I assume, developed) for their tables.  It works very well!

orthobiz

« Reply #76 on: 23 Feb 2013, 03:17 am »
This thread needs a pic! Is the new arm gold?

Paul

quietglow

« Reply #77 on: 23 Feb 2013, 03:26 am »
This thread needs a pic! Is the new arm gold?

Paul

Actually you can't see it because it's blindingly awesome.

Okay, I haven't heard it yet, but it sure looks awesome.

Joe

roscoeiii

« Reply #78 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:20 am »
Pics to come.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #79 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:40 pm »

Hi Sunnydaze,
That's a reflex clamp.  Not sure who invented it, but Michell, Sota, Oracle all had early versions. With a hard platter and severe edge warp it's not always 100% effective in flattening, but will usually help enough so the record is playable or clear the trough. 
neo