Magnepan 1.7 dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover

HAL

Re: Magnepan 1.7 dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover
« Reply #20 on: 6 May 2024, 09:01 pm »
The 12 H-Frames are at the paint shop for finishing.

Until then time for some 1.7's with the AK4499EX EA dspNexus 2x8 system for DSP crossover and two 2x12 modular OB servo subs.

Time to interface the Oracle Delphi MKI for some phono listening.

HAL

« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2024, 12:24 am »
Just picked up another pair of 1.7's that has the opposite speaker not working.

So now I have one working pair of mirror image 1.7's to convert for the dspNexus DSP crossover!  :)

Pictures will be coming later.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #22 on: 17 Aug 2024, 04:03 am »
First: aren't the speakers identical?

Second: what about the two broke ones? Fix?

HAL

« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2024, 11:58 am »
The 1.7s are mirror image pairs with the tweeter planars on opposite sides of the baffle.

Fix is TBD.

HAL

« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2024, 09:13 pm »
Magnepan 1.7 pair #2 have the silver side stiles as compared to pair #1 with the black side stiles.

Now to remove the sock and passive crossover and install the replacement wiring and connector plate.

HAL

« Reply #25 on: 20 Aug 2024, 01:06 pm »
The side stiles were removed and sock on the intermittent 1.7 speaker had the staples pulled, so easy to pull up the sock.

This one has a break in the woofer foil that had a repair that is not holding. The bigger problem is the foil is delaminating in areas and the mylar is wrinkled. This would need a complete rebuild, so putting it aside.

I looked through the sock with a light on the working speaker and see a bit of the same foil delamination problem, but no wrinkles in the mylar. Once I remove the side stiles and staples, will be time to see if some glue cleaning and reapplication will fix the areas of problems.

studiotech

« Reply #26 on: 20 Aug 2024, 03:34 pm »
This is unfortunate. I thought the days of delam were over once Magnepan moved to full foil traces instead of the mid/bass wires.   

HAL

« Reply #27 on: 20 Aug 2024, 07:24 pm »
The bigger problem is the warped mylar than the delaminated foil.  If it were only delamination, you could just replace the foil traces.

To me, looks more like overdriven, overheated, stretched the mylar and foil and the glue gave out.  The entire mylar diaphragm and foil has to be replaced. 

HAL

« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2024, 03:26 pm »
Here is a closeup of the diaphragm where the trace broke and the mylar tore to cause the tension to release and wrinkle.

This entire planar has to be rebuilt.  This is not the one I need to use and that is the next to investigate for the conversion to DSP crossover.