Exodus Audio Kepler Press & Review

jr1414

Re: Exodus Audio Kepler Press & Review
« Reply #40 on: 1 Apr 2008, 01:48 pm »
Colin's review comes out today.  Can't wait to hear his thoughts and see the measurements.

I just hooked these up with my new Emotvia gear last night (LMC-1, LPA-1).  The difference was amazing!  Everything I loved about these speakers with the receiver is there, just improved detail, imaging, headroom.  Low volume listening is now an amazing experience.  Receivers do not do these speakers justice, make sure you have suitable amplification to bring out the best in these babies!!!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #41 on: 1 Apr 2008, 05:07 pm »
Yea.... looks like it went up today.

http://www.soundstage.com/diwhy/diwhy.htm

It is amazing how much difference amplification can make.     That doesn't mean you need to go out and by something expensive but you should be aware of how tweaky the loudspeaker--amplifier interface can be.     I don't have an explanation for it other than trying to design them to be an easy load.   Even then, there are certain combinations of amplifier <--> loudspeaker that just sound better than others.

YMMV but some experimentation is in order if you want to get the best results.   

« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2008, 05:38 pm by Kevin Haskins »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #42 on: 1 Apr 2008, 05:15 pm »
Soundstage Reviewer's Choice
Kudos!

:drums: :thankyou: :weights: :rock:

:notworthy:

Anand.

jr1414

« Reply #43 on: 1 Apr 2008, 05:39 pm »
Finally, I get to hear Colin's opinions and see the measurements.  Both of which confirm what I had felt with mine, that these are seriously good speakers!  The measurements look wonderful, although I'd like to see the measurements with the revised port tuning.  Congrats Kevin on a job well done!!!

I was wondering if Colin had "stuffed" his speakers or not.  I built a pair with polyfill (about 7 oz. each) and a pair without and I really prefer the "stuffed" version better.  The low end seems to extend slightly lower, with probably a smoother rolloff (I don't have measurement equipment handy to verify).  It makes integration with the sub much more seemless.  It also allowed me to crossover lower, which seemed to help with localization issues.  For the record, I found I crossed over the the sub at 70 Hz for the unstuffed and 60 Hz for the stuffed version.  For much of my music listening I didn't need the sub at all, I simply run the Keplers full range.

I really have to agree with Colin's statement that the speakers have "mojo".  I could give up my job and listen to these things all day long.  I'm sure my wife will have to drag me off to bed again tonight after another extended listening session.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #44 on: 1 Apr 2008, 06:02 pm »
Finally, I get to hear Colin's opinions and see the measurements.  Both of which confirm what I had felt with mine, that these are seriously good speakers!  The measurements look wonderful, although I'd like to see the measurements with the revised port tuning.  Congrats Kevin on a job well done!!!

I was wondering if Colin had "stuffed" his speakers or not.  I built a pair with polyfill (about 7 oz. each) and a pair without and I really prefer the "stuffed" version better.  The low end seems to extend slightly lower, with probably a smoother rolloff (I don't have measurement equipment handy to verify).  It makes integration with the sub much more seemless.  It also allowed me to crossover lower, which seemed to help with localization issues.  For the record, I found I crossed over the the sub at 70 Hz for the unstuffed and 60 Hz for the stuffed version.  For much of my music listening I didn't need the sub at all, I simply run the Keplers full range.

I really have to agree with Colin's statement that the speakers have "mojo".  I could give up my job and listen to these things all day long.  I'm sure my wife will have to drag me off to bed again tonight after another extended listening session.

The anechoic LF measurement probably isn't the best method for knowing what kind of LF extension you are actually going to get.    It is at 2M, where the port contribution on the rear of the cabinet is off-set by an additional 0.5M or so and it is a 4Pi measurement.   Those two factors make it look much higher than what you will see in-room.    Colin's pair where tuned to 36-38 Hz if I remember right.  The current production ones with 50% fill in the cabinet gives a much higher 45-46Hz tune.   This brings the F3 down but you get steeper roll-off than you would with a lower tune. 

Stuff those babies though....  they sound much better with the 50% fill.   

The close-mic measurements I've done are much more representative of the LF extension.   They are 2Pi space and the port/driver are merged with equal magnitude given to each.    Where the anechoic measurement is really useful is for the distortion measurements.

This is my favorite quote and an indication we achieved what we set-out to do with the EX-6.5.   

"PLEASE NOTE: Our standard is to provide the THD+N measurement at 90dB with a measuring distance of 2 meters (within the anechoic chamber). Since this speaker produced low distortion levels under those conditions, we have added a second measurement performed at 95dB to give an indication of performance under higher-output conditions."

The 1M levels would be 96dB & 101dB so the distortion measurements are at very high levels.    Look at that single midwoofer @ 50-200hz and you can see that the EX-6.5 has excellent LF distortion performance, especially considering the output levels.   

« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2008, 11:02 pm by Kevin Haskins »

TerryO

« Reply #45 on: 2 Apr 2008, 03:48 am »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Big Snip~~~~~~~~~

This will be a unique opportunity to see if Kevin Haskin's design decisions have resulted in a sonically acceptable product, at least for the reviewer, and additionally if the measurements match what Mr. Haskins has predicted.

Finally, we will actually be getting a measure of the man himself and to what extent his vision is translated into viability. I eagerly await the verdict.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Mr. Haskins,

The verdict is in and you have been vindicated. May all your future efforts be as successful.
Congratulations!

Best Regards,
TerryO