Exodus Audio Kepler Press & Review

MaxCast

Re: Exodus Audio Kepler Press & Review
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2008, 07:39 pm »
How about solid wood base and plate with black poles.  You could stain the wood any color you wish.

jr1414

« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2008, 08:08 pm »
The wood plates would be another option, but I like the top plate blending in with the speaker.  I've already got the sign grade plywood and I'd prefer to use that for the base at least due to it's very high density.  Should help with stability, along with the stand.

So I've finalized my stand design, here are some colorized versions.  Help me decide between all black or black top/bottom plates with cherry veneer columns.  These are shown with a model of the speaker for the full effect. 

Thanks.

jonwb

« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2008, 09:59 pm »
Those will look very nice  :thumb:...  In reality the most important part strength / stability wise is getting a good strong joint at each end of the tube.  That's why I suggested dropping it into a 1/2" deep groove (tighter the better) and using some good glue.  Best of luck, and let us see some pics when you're done!

jr1414

« Reply #23 on: 21 Mar 2008, 02:17 pm »
Thanks.  I think you may have missed the point that there will be threaded rods through both pillars, which will sandwich the plates onto the pillars.  I will glue both at the bottom with PL400, but the recess is really meant to work just as a locator.  The threaded rods will hold them together and allow for removal of the top to adjust the amount of sand and/or shot in the main pillar.

With the holiday coming up this weekend I probably won't get around to making the stands for another two weeks or so.  I'm looking for methods to veneer over PVC.  I've found some good suggestions online, but I'm also open to any additional ideas.  I might make a set painted first and then try the veneer pillars next.  I like to build things.

Matt__P

« Reply #24 on: 21 Mar 2008, 02:51 pm »
those look very nice! that appears to be a pretty severe bevel on the top and bottom plates though.
With 3/4 plywood there could be an issue with the leading edge of it chipping and or being difficult to finish??? Might be better to use a chamfer and keep some material on the edges.

jr1414

« Reply #25 on: 21 Mar 2008, 02:54 pm »
It'll actually be a 1/2" roundover.  This is a sign grade plywood, and I'd be impressed if you could chip it.  It's literally twice the density of CDX, probably more resin than anything.  After routing it'll get sealed with resin on the edges.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #26 on: 21 Mar 2008, 03:04 pm »
It'll actually be a 1/2" roundover.  This is a sign grade plywood, and I'd be impressed if you could chip it.  It's literally twice the density of CDX, probably more resin than anything.  After routing it'll get sealed with resin on the edges.

They look awesome and I was going to recommend the threaded rods.    A single 1/4-20 rod the length of the PVC with a nut on top/bottom to sandwich the PVC tube.    You may want to use a T-nut on the bottom so the rod doesn't wiggle or drop down when your filling it with sand.

I've never worked with sign grade plywood so I don't have any input on that front.

I'm still cobbling together my CNC machine or I'd offer to cut them for you.   

jr1414

« Reply #27 on: 21 Mar 2008, 04:28 pm »
Kevin,

Just send me the CNC and I'll get it going for you.  We can leave it in my garage!  I would really love to have access to a CNC machine for my little projects.  I've been building boats in a factory overseas where I could have access to several CNC machines (and a really cool water jet cutter too), But shipping from Turkey would be a little much for my six little plates.  If there was some volume to be made, I'd consider contracting some time locally. 

I plan on using a jam nut and washer on the inside of the lower plate to keep the threaded rod stationary, should work out just fine.  The t-nut might not be a bad idea into a blind hole also.  No chance of a leak that way.

Wiring tonight!!!  Should be listening tomorrow!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #28 on: 21 Mar 2008, 05:47 pm »
I'm building it mainly for prototype work.   It is a fairly small table 49" x 25" with 7" on the Z-axis and not particularly fast but it should do most of what I need it to do.      If I need a bigger or faster one I'll build it with the other machine.   

Get those things finished.    Your stands look awesome and a fun additional DIY project that matches the Kepler.    Document it and I'll publish it on the site.   I think a lot of people would copy the idea. 

jr1414

« Reply #29 on: 22 Mar 2008, 01:52 pm »
That should make itself useful. I couldn't build the boats without the CNC machines. Even the hull plugs for the molds are all CNC now. We did a full 102' hull and deck last year.

Got two of them wired last night and had a quick listen. Not enough to give a review yet, but they definitely sound clean and detailed. The bass is startling, you can't believe it's coming from these little cabinets.

I was hoping to do some critical listening today, but I'm on my way to a railroad museum this morning, then going to the in-laws. So it will have to wait for now, which is killing me.

Still, I can already tell that I'll be pleased with them. New amp shows up this week too!  I picked up an Emotiva LPA-1, it seems to be highly regarded for the $$'s.

Have a great easter to all.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #30 on: 24 Mar 2008, 12:40 pm »
That should make itself useful. I couldn't build the boats without the CNC machines. Even the hull plugs for the molds are all CNC now. We did a full 102' hull and deck last year.

Got two of them wired last night and had a quick listen. Not enough to give a review yet, but they definitely sound clean and detailed. The bass is startling, you can't believe it's coming from these little cabinets.

I was hoping to do some critical listening today, but I'm on my way to a railroad museum this morning, then going to the in-laws. So it will have to wait for now, which is killing me.

Still, I can already tell that I'll be pleased with them. New amp shows up this week too!  I picked up an Emotiva LPA-1, it seems to be highly regarded for the $$'s.

Have a great easter to all.

I'll trade you a yacht for some CNC work. ;-)     My poor little sailboat took flight in a wind storm this winter.    It became an airplane for a short time (about 200ft) before landing and completely ripping everything on the top deck apart, including the mast which was stored laying down on the deck.    I'm afraid I don't have the heart to replace it now....  maybe in a few years.

jr1414

« Reply #31 on: 26 Mar 2008, 02:20 am »
Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your sailboat, hopefully you get something sooner, rather than later.  We can talk about trades offline, but I might need you to work the CNC for a year or two to make that happen! :)

Ok, finally got around to getting some time on a stereo pair of these and to do some critical listening. I haven't setup the full 5 channel setup yet, I actually placed a stereo pair in the bedroom, just to start listening a bit. I've got a bit of work to do in the main room, including making the stands mentioned above, so the bedroom will have to do for now.

First off, these were an incredibly easy build. A few recesses, some holes, solder four wires and connect. Easy as can be. The cabinets are top notch, as are the components. The PCB pads are pre-tinned, making the soldering as easy as can be. Made it easy to look like a pro!

Next is the sound. I seriously thought I had forgot to change the settings on my receiver and left the subwoofer connected! These babies throw some serious low end. But that's not the most impressive thing about these speakers. A single word, imaging!!! These speakers present the widest, deepest soundstage I have ever heard, including several bipoles. Instruments and voices are on the spot, I can picture each instrument and singer and where they're standing on the stage. What's in front, what's behind, it's all as should be! I've just never experienced imaging this good, and I'm excited about it.

Sound is balanced from top to bottom with some "air" on the top end. It may not give as much "air" as some people might like, but I like the sound quite a bit. It's just enough to add "space" around instruments and voices, but not enough where it seems to distract from the accuracy. I'd say some very sound decisions were made in voicing the crossover. The low end is impressive, while remaining accurate and tight and never seeming "boomy". The mid range is accurate and controlled, maybe not quite as forward as some might like, but still lively. Pianos and vocals sound like pianos and voices!  These are incredibly dynamic speakers!

Overall, I couldn't be happier with my purchase and the rewarding experience that comes from assembling your own speaker. I can easily recommend these to anyone who wishes to tackle a DIY project, even for a first timer. It's that easy!

I'd put these above many commercial speakers costing many multiples of their price, and I auditioned a lot of them. And I challenge you to find a better looking loudspeaker at this price anywhere, it's just not possible.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #32 on: 27 Mar 2008, 12:19 am »
I'd put these above many commercial speakers costing many multiples of their price, and I auditioned a lot of them.

Which speakers would those be? Excellent review by the way.

Kevin,

Will you be at Akfest? Are you bringing these puppies along? If you are, I will look forward to seeing you and seeing your work.

Best,
Anand.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #33 on: 27 Mar 2008, 01:03 am »
No...I'm not making it to Michigan but I'll be taking a pair of Kepler's, and the updated Tycho Brahe to VSAC 2008 in a few months.   

I'll be powering them with a low power tube amp just to showcase how easy they are to drive.   

There is the SoundStage review coming out next week too.    Colin did the write-up and there are the measurements from the NRC anechoic chamber showing on/off-axis data along with distortion measurements @ 90db & 95dB 1M. 

jr1414

« Reply #34 on: 27 Mar 2008, 11:16 am »
I did forget to mention that the off axis response is very, very good.  Makes for a very large sweetspot.  I was listening to Norah Jones last night with my wife and we were both floored.  With previous speakers, only one of us could get in the sweetspot, with these we both felt like we were in the sweetspot!

Steven Kephart

• http://www.adireaudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 28 Mar 2008, 06:44 am »
I did forget to mention that the off axis response is very, very good.  Makes for a very large sweetspot.  I was listening to Norah Jones last night with my wife and we were both floored.  With previous speakers, only one of us could get in the sweetspot, with these we both felt like we were in the sweetspot!

I love using Norah Jones for demoing my previous generation Exodus speakers.  Her voice is so forward and on the speakers it sounds like she is in the room giving a live performance.  Another favorite demo of mine is Nickel Creek.

jr1414

« Reply #36 on: 28 Mar 2008, 03:48 pm »
I like using Norah as a demo disc, but she's actually one of my favorites for listening also.  I'm not familiar at all with Nickel Creek, but I'll see if I can pick something up this weekend. 

There's actually one track on Norah Jones that I found something annoying on, not a fault of the speakers, more a fault in the recording.  The track is Feelin the Same Way off of Come Away With Me.  I like when you can hear some of the fingerwork on the guitar as they move up and down the strings, but on this particular track the fingerwork is very loud and distracting.  Kind of dissapointing in what is otherwise a very well recorded album.

TerryO

« Reply #37 on: 31 Mar 2008, 02:44 am »
No...I'm not making it to Michigan but I'll be taking a pair of Kepler's, and the updated Tycho Brahe to VSAC 2008 in a few months.   

I'll be powering them with a low power tube amp just to showcase how easy they are to drive.   

There is the SoundStage review coming out next week too.    Colin did the write-up and there are the measurements from the NRC anechoic chamber showing on/off-axis data along with distortion measurements @ 90db & 95dB 1M. 

I hope that when (in the next few days) the SoundStage review of the Kepler's comes out, that some sort of announcement is posted. I've been waiting to see what independent reviewers have to say about what seems to be High-End sound, offered at an extremely reasonable cost. Exodus Audio has offered several products in the past that have brought previously unobtainable levels of performance into the realm of possibility, at least for the large percentage of Audiophiles with less than robust budgets. This will be a unique opportunity to see if Kevin Haskin's design decisions have resulted in a sonically acceptable product, at least for the reviewer, and additionally if the measurements match what Mr. Haskins has predicted.

Finally, we will actually be getting a measure of the man himself and to what extent his vision is translated into viability. I eagerly await the verdict.

Best Regards,
TerryO

« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2008, 04:18 am by TerryO »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #38 on: 31 Mar 2008, 04:06 pm »

I hope that when (in the next few days) the SoundStage review of the Kepler's comes out, that some sort of announcement is posted. I've been waiting to see what independent reviewers have to say about what seems to be High-End sound, offered at an extremely reasonable cost. Exodus Audio has offered several products in the past that have brought previously unobtainable levels of performance into the realm of possibility, at least for the large percentage of Audiophiles with less than robust budgets. This will be a unique opportunity to see if Kevin Haskin's design decisions have resulted in a sonically acceptable product, at least for the reviewer, and additionally if the measurements match what Mr. Haskins has predicted.

Finally, we will actually be getting a measure of the man himself and to what extent his vision is translated into viability. I eagerly await the verdict.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Oh come on Terry... you know they sound great.   A little less than a year ago the first revision sounded pretty bad though.   :wink:

I don't measure myself by success or failure at designing speakers.    I'm sure others will but it would be a poor way to go through life if your self-worth was defined by good/bad reviews of a loudspeaker design.   People fall in love with products and twelve months later you see them on Audiogon.    I'd prefer a longer shelf-life than that. 

My most important product is my kids and I'm very proud to state that they are doing great at this juncture of the journey, in large part to the fact that I married the right woman.    :D

TerryO

« Reply #39 on: 1 Apr 2008, 12:52 am »

Best Regards,
TerryO

Oh come on Terry... you know they sound great.   A little less than a year ago the first revision sounded pretty bad though.   :wink:

I don't measure myself by success or failure at designing speakers.    I'm sure others will but it would be a poor way to go through life if your self-worth was defined by good/bad reviews of a loudspeaker design.   People fall in love with products and twelve months later you see them on Audiogon.    I'd prefer a longer shelf-life than that. 

My most important product is my kids and I'm very proud to state that they are doing great at this juncture of the journey, in large part to the fact that I married the right woman.    :D

Mr. Haskins,
I have to agree that the prototype certainly didn't inspire all the listeners at the time, although those two guys that did the prototyping were probably suffering from sleep deprivation. You might want to consider hiring a new Human Resources Manager in order to secure better help :lol:

I suppose you're correct about defining yourself by the success or failure of speaker reviews. I have to admit that I sometimes forget that many people don't have my unbroken record of going from one breakthough after another, followed by continuous triumphs and world acclimation.

I should be more modest, but it's not necessary for me to relate to the general run of humanity. I reign supreme in the design of the loudspeakers, in fact: I AM AN AUDIO IMMORTAL!!! ...huh, err, my wife is insisting that I take my medications immediately (or else!).

As for your children, I agree that they're pretty special, in large part due to not only your wife, but her significant other as well. I really don't think it takes a village if you start with two good parents. Remember however, that learning Latin is the key to successful child rearing :green:

Best Regards,
TerryO