searching for musical truth: SP Tech Timepiece 3.0

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: searching for musical truth: SP Tech Timepiece 3.0
« Reply #140 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:35 pm »
Yes, crossing in front is a great setup too.  I use a laser pointer/level and switch between straight at me to crossed in front.

(typed from my itouch so I'll elaborate later)

targa

« Reply #141 on: 1 Apr 2009, 11:47 pm »
good fellows, i just tried that toe-in position with the axes cross in front.  true, i noticed that the center image is more stable...  but i should not hear other changes (e.g. more details?), right?

if i crossed the speakers to far in front of me, i lost details and the soundstage got smaller...  but if i did it correctly by tweaking than the image is more stable and more pleasant to listen to, true..  many thanks for the suggestion!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #142 on: 2 Apr 2009, 07:51 am »
As long as these speakers are within, say, ±20-30º of pointing straight at you, you should not notice much variation in tonality or "detail". As to vertical differences, I found they sounded the nicest to me when my listening axis was just below the center of the waveguide, but that's a matter for experimentation.

Just being able to point them away from the side walls should count for a lot as regards clarity and focus of image.

Once you have them set up like this, all you have to do to listen to true Blumlein stereo recordings correctly is move your chair forwards until the speakers are at a ±45º angle from your head instead of the usual ±30º as proscribed for standard stereo listening, including surround when using a center channel. This is a bonus of toed-in speaker arrangements.

With straight-ahead-oriented speakers, 45º off axis is generally too far for quality tonality, due to narrowing dispersion at the top of the bass/mid driver's passband creating a dip off axis in that range of frequencies.