Good pre-amps/amps for SongTowers?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: Good pre-amps/amps for SongTowers?
« Reply #60 on: 11 Mar 2010, 09:55 pm »
I have heard good things about the Cherry amp, however I never had the pleasure of hearing one

writeface

« Reply #61 on: 12 Mar 2010, 06:48 pm »
I am thinking of getting Mapletree's Line 2A SE preamp to use with HT-3. Dr.Peppard offers HT-bypass too and this preamp is inexpensive. It seems to sell quickly in the used market also.

Are there any Salk owners using Mapletree? Any impressions....

Anybody.....??

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #62 on: 12 Mar 2010, 08:05 pm »
 Without seeming like a fat cat or pompus arse why has no one mentioned CJ, Joule Electra, Levinson, Plinius, McIntosh ? or equal.
  Why put a wanna be amp or pre with such a great speaker. Makes no sense to me.

charles

divisionbell77

« Reply #63 on: 12 Mar 2010, 08:08 pm »
Without seeming like a fat cat or pompus arse why has no one mentioned CJ, Joule Electra, Levinson, Plinius, McIntosh ? or equal.

charles

What do you consider a 'wanna be' preamp/amp?

Sonix

« Reply #64 on: 13 Mar 2010, 06:45 am »

charles

Just curious, which wanna bees have you listened too? Hope to hear your impressions for the ones to avoid,
for my own use during my current selection process.

Best Regards,
Ken

Big Red Machine

« Reply #65 on: 14 Mar 2010, 12:49 pm »
I am thinking of getting Mapletree's Line 2A SE preamp to use with HT-3. Dr.Peppard offers HT-bypass too and this preamp is inexpensive. It seems to sell quickly in the used market also.

Are there any Salk owners using Mapletree? Any impressions....

Missed the PM.  A decent pre, but in the end not a world beater.  Basic, good for the money unit as a used item but a little dark and a little restricted.  While it can offfer more body than an inexpensive SS pre, if I had only $500 for a tubed pre it would be okay but if you could go $1000 then I'd look at the Response Audio new linestage or perhaps a used AVA unit.  If I don't get some speakers soon then I'll have to sell my AVA pre and return my DAC as well.  I'm about at budget's end unfortunately and also had to eat a Paypal refund for a nice sub that the recipient damaged and now I have to refund monies.

s_cervin

« Reply #66 on: 14 Mar 2010, 01:13 pm »
Missed the PM.  A decent pre, but in the end not a world beater.  Basic, good for the money unit as a used item but a little dark and a little restricted.  While it can offfer more body than an inexpensive SS pre, if I had only $500 for a tubed pre it would be okay but if you could go $1000 then I'd look at the Response Audio new linestage or perhaps a used AVA unit.  If I don't get some speakers soon then I'll have to sell my AVA pre and return my DAC as well.  I'm about at budget's end unfortunately and also had to eat a Paypal refund for a nice sub that the recipient damaged and now I have to refund monies.

Pete,

If you have time, might want to list every preamp/amp combo you've run.  Let us know your top 3. 

Hoping that wasn't a Submersive you sold....would have taken it and saved your paypal account!  I didn't see that one show up??

I'm looking at the Belles 28A, 22A, 21A w/ auricap, Rowland Capri, and VTL pre's right now.  I'm also a little torn on which way to go with a DAC.  Something with ESS chip, EA modded piece, or other.  Waiting on the SB Touch to determine which mods can be done to that unit (I2S).

Scott

writeface

« Reply #67 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:33 pm »

Hello BRM, Thanks for the feedback on the MAD pre. Sorry to hear the news about the sub. Hope things work out for you and you get your speakers. By the way, what speakers are you considering?

writeface

« Reply #68 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:35 pm »
Pete,

If you have time, might want to list every preamp/amp combo you've run.  Let us know your top 3. 

Hoping that wasn't a Submersive you sold....would have taken it and saved your paypal account!  I didn't see that one show up??

I'm looking at the Belles 28A, 22A, 21A w/ auricap, Rowland Capri, and VTL pre's right now.  I'm also a little torn on which way to go with a DAC.  Something with ESS chip, EA modded piece, or other.  Waiting on the SB Touch to determine which mods can be done to that unit (I2S).

Scott

I'd love to see a list of pre/amp too. Would be very useful to me, too. Currently, I am considering Joule Electra. Any experience with that?

Thanks.

Nuance

« Reply #69 on: 14 Mar 2010, 06:52 pm »
Pete,

Scott

Are you able to go out and audition these things?  If you have A/V shops local to you I highly recommend you make a weekend out of doing this.  Only you can decide what you like and what synergizes in your room. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #70 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:31 pm »
based on my experiences w/the melos sha-gold, and my modded ma333r, i would definitely be putting this on my shortlist if i were needing a preamp.  (better hurry; i suspect it won't last long, at asking price of $375.):

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1273761514&/Melos-MA-111-hybrid-preamp-w/t

doug s.

jbtrio

« Reply #71 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:51 pm »
I think Sonny is selling a Marantz PM15S1 Integrated amp for $900.00 here at Audio Circle. That is a nice upgrade from your reciever and is a nice little integrated.

Joe

ralfale

« Reply #72 on: 27 Apr 2010, 03:57 pm »
I am currently driving ST with Emotiva XPA3. However, ST is still not singing as what i am expecting it to. Looks like the sound signature of Emotiva amp is not as refine and sweet sounding as i will prefer. It was observed by a friend of mine, that XPA3 seems not enough juice to drive the 4 ohm ST?

Which amp will you guys recommend me based on my preference?

Thanks.

writeface

« Reply #73 on: 27 Apr 2010, 04:29 pm »
I use Wyred 4 Sound SX-500 Amps with my HT-3. I love the combination. I am told it gets better with Spectron amp.

K Shep

« Reply #74 on: 27 Apr 2010, 05:04 pm »
I am currently driving ST with Emotiva XPA3. However, ST is still not singing as what i am expecting it to. Looks like the sound signature of Emotiva amp is not as refine and sweet sounding as i will prefer. It was observed by a friend of mine, that XPA3 seems not enough juice to drive the 4 ohm ST?

Which amp will you guys recommend me based on my preference?

Thanks.

Stick with the Emotiva and audition different preamps.  What pre are you currently using.
IMO you may "hear" more of an audible difference from preamp to preamp. 

That said, your amp is 200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm - class A/B.  If you brought a 75 watt RMS @ 8 ohm - class A tube amp in to the mix you'll hear an audible difference.

I'm contradicting myself... in my experience solid state, similar spec, class A/B amps sound very the same.  So to get your ST's to "sing" mix in a different preamp. 

greenhouseman

« Reply #75 on: 27 Apr 2010, 06:26 pm »
Have used the following on my STRT's

Emotiva XPA-2
Emotiva RSP-2
W4S ST-500
W4S STP-SE

These units have been used as company pairs and intermixed. I have settled on the Wyreds and while a little bright they have come the closest to conveying the material the way i feel comfortable with. The Emotiva gear were fine when i was using Ascend Sierras but when i changed speakers i didnt get the response differential i was expecting. I'am sure it might have been a mental response after just returning from RMAF and hearing the STRTs with AVA gear.. In this hobby it is incredibly difficult to find immediate gratification. It requires your ability to be happy and content with what your listening to and not always wondering "what if i just change this"
Happy Hunting :D

writeface

« Reply #76 on: 27 Apr 2010, 06:34 pm »
Have used the following on my STRT's

Emotiva XPA-2
Emotiva RSP-2
W4S ST-500
W4S STP-SE

These units have been used as company pairs and intermixed. I have settled on the Wyreds and while a little bright they have come the closest to conveying the material the way i feel comfortable with. The Emotiva gear were fine when i was using Ascend Sierras but when i changed speakers i didnt get the response differential i was expecting. I'am sure it might have been a mental response after just returning from RMAF and hearing the STRTs with AVA gear.. In this hobby it is incredibly difficult to find immediate gratification. It requires your ability to be happy and content with what your listening to and not always wondering "what if i just change this"
Happy Hunting :D

Well said!

I changed my Wyred STP-SE with Joule Electra LA-150 and noticed the absence of brightness.. The music sounds more "real" to me, not that I wasn't happy with Wyred. I just went through "what if I just got a tube pre.." :)

It is a slippery slope, certainly.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #77 on: 28 Apr 2010, 03:39 am »
I have heard good things about the Cherry amp, however I never had the pleasure of hearing one

We have our own circle now (lots of feedback from listeners):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=174.0

A 30-day trial period makes it easy to give us a listen.  Details here:   :thumb:
http://www.digitalamp.com/thirty.htm

Thanks for the post. 

ralfale

« Reply #78 on: 28 Apr 2010, 05:15 am »
Stick with the Emotiva and audition different preamps.  What pre are you currently using.
IMO you may "hear" more of an audible difference from preamp to preamp. 

That said, your amp is 200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm - class A/B.  If you brought a 75 watt RMS @ 8 ohm - class A tube amp in to the mix you'll hear an audible difference.

I'm contradicting myself... in my experience solid state, similar spec, class A/B amps sound very the same.  So to get your ST's to "sing" mix in a different preamp.

I have seen a few people driving with XPA-2, but not with XPA-3. So wondering if there's a big differences there.

Recently, i've changed from Denon amp to Emotiva UMC-1. Although i can find better clarity and smooth-ness, i still find it lacking the 'sweet sexy' feel.

It also seems like there is not sufficient bass at certain tracks, so could this be due to insufficient power? I can't seems to get the 'kick' in bassy tracks.

HoosierInOhio

« Reply #79 on: 28 Apr 2010, 01:18 pm »
I plan on running my HT2-TLs with 2 UPA-1's to start.  350 into 4 ohms should be suffcient.  The price is slightly less than the XPA-2, and there are some pretty good owner "reviews" on the emo boards.