Squeezebox

rydenfan

Re: Squeezebox
« Reply #40 on: 8 Jul 2009, 12:41 am »
Anyone claiming he can hear" dramatic differences" is implying the rest of us are not good listeners, or we are deaf.
The only dramatic differences i can hear is when changing speakers or rooms. Everything else is subtle.

No, those are not the implications..  Likely that the system is not as resolving.  I wish some changes (like changing power cords, for goodness sake) weren't dramatic...but they are.  Dan's mods are dramatic.  Wayne's mods are dramatic.  A new DAC like the Weiss is dramatic.  Room treatments are dramatic.  Some cables are dramatic (in many cases lately, dramatically worse).  not saying that some changes aren't subtle...but had to pipe in and state that many posters here are quite legitimate in their declarations that these recipes in computer audio are still being worked on, and in many cases cause a dramatic change in sonics..sometimes where we least expect it. Keep an open mind...and ear.   :)  We aren't calling you deaf.

+1!!!!!

Gear, cables, treatments make audible differences. In a highly resolving system these differences are noticeable and distinct. The only thing that always sounds the same is the people who say they make no difference  :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #41 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:04 am »
  BTW, not last year, but the year before, there were quite a few people in the David Ellis room who got to hear SB power supplies from Wayne at Bolder Cable and Hugh at AKSA Audio and all agreed that they heard improvements over the stock PS. 

George
Of course they did, as it probably wasn't a blind test and no one had the stones to say otherwise.  If I was in a room with folks who all swore they heard a difference, I wouldn't speak up to oppose either.  Let's see a double blind test, level matched test, and then a unanimous decision.  Then I'll buy one.  :)

Henry,

When you come over, we can do a test with my SB I use in the HT system.  I have the stock wall wart and an elpac PS modified by Wayne at Bolder Cable.  We can send the digital out of the SB into the Modwright TP and listen to it with both ways.  Putting aside which is preferred, I am confident you will hear a difference.

George
You do realize that because of your public confidence, you're already swaying his decision.  Psycho-acoustics my friend.  No offense, by the way; I am just not a believer, as a double blind testing has not proven otherwise.  Unless there is something drastically wrong with the stock PSU, there should be no audible difference.  Now if there is something wrong with the stock PSU, well, then Slim Devices will have a lawsuit on their hands.  Also, if the dB level is increased or decreased, that doesn't count, as it's no longer level matched and even 1dB can be misconstrued as better or worse.  Level matching is key.
Well, FWIW, I've had my Duet for little over a year now. I was one of the first to purchase a linear power supply for it when Wayne at Bolder made them available specifically for the Duet. After having it in my system for about a month, I noticed a dramatic increase in how the bass sounded. The bass was more "full" overall, but the biggest difference was how the bass tightened right up. It was a definite improvement. There was also in improvement in how quiet the background was compared to the standard power supply.

I eventually purchased an AVA Insight DAC. With the DAC the soundstage was broader, giving the instruments a more "3-D" like effect. I did have the op-amps upgraded just a few months ago and couldn't hear a difference between the new ones and the old ones.

I eventually sold the DAC and will be getting my Duet modded by Wayne. Having prior experience with Bolder products and doing a little research on Wayne's mods makes me comfortable that my Duet should give me the sound I'm looking for, above and beyond what I experienced with my external DAC.

I just wanted to shine a little light on the subject from someone who has first-hand experience at both ends, instead of spewing forth my opinion without any solid ground to stand on.

"A scam to get you to spend money", c'mon, you're better than that.

Doug

Like I said, YMMV.   Prove to me, under double blind, level matched test conditions that you can pick out the non-stock power supply, and I'll believe you.  Until then, their is no definitive research showing human beings can actually hear the difference.  If I spent that much on a power supply, I'd probably convince myself I heard the difference too.  ;)  Also, it's my opinion, yes, but it's based on my experience and the lack of research showing that the differences are audible.  Speaking of experience, have you ever partaken in a double blind, level matched test?  I have.  So I guess I do have experience at both ends. 

George -

I wasn't knocking Bolder directly, just companies that charge an arm and a leg for upgrades that provide little to no difference at all.  Those are scams IMO.  But as you said, one man's subtle may be another's drastic.  It's highly subjective, which is why I used the words "in my opinion."  Sorry to have stuck a nerve dude. 
Dan's work is proof positive.  Dramatic isn't a good enough adjective.    :D
Ah...I am pretty sure his work is not proof positive.  If it was, where's the proof? 

Nuance

« Reply #42 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:12 am »
Gear, cables, treatments make audible differences. In a highly resolving system these differences are noticeable and distinct. The only thing that always sounds the same is the people who say they make no difference  :wink:
I am not saying they don't make differences.  We all know I think all of the above mentioned make differences (well, cables is a broad term, but that's another topic).  I am saying that if a power supply actually does make a differences, they are so subtle that they aren't worth it (my opinion, of course), and thus a scam due to the high cost of gaining little to nothing.  Feel free to disagree, as it's no skin off my back because I've tested various things under double blind conditions.  ;)

I also don't think they are calling people like us "deaf" or think they have golden ears.  A $1200 very minute difference is a difference most likely not worth it to me.  Others may feel otherwise, and that's cool.  I won't jump on their case if they go that route, but I also won't refrain from giving my own opinion and experiences.

rydenfan

« Reply #43 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:14 am »
ironic that gear is so subtle that after hearing a very low level 2 channel pre-amp you bought one  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #44 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:17 am »
Nuance,

There is no universal truth that double blind tests are the way to prove or disprove anything in audio.  If you want to hang your hat on that, no issues - that is certainly cool.

But please don't act as if it is the end all, be all, and if anybody views differently it is the equivalent to somebody claiming the world is flat and not round.

George

Nuance

« Reply #45 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:17 am »
ironic that gear is so subtle that after hearing a very low level 2 channel pre-amp you bought one  :wink:
If I had the money I would have certainly spent more, but for the price I think I got real good bang for my buck. 

Nuance

« Reply #46 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:19 am »
Nuance,

There is no universal truth that double blind tests are the way to prove or disprove anything in audio.  If you want to hang your hat on that, no issues - that is certainly cool.

But please don't act as if it is the end all, be all, and if anybody views differently it is the equivalent to somebody claiming the world is flat and not round.

George

I am not saying it's the be all, end all method.  But it's part of it for me.  And without it that method isn't complete.  Please don't misunderstand; I am not hanging my hat on ONLY that.  Does that make sense?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:20 am »
That's a pretty low blow.  We aren't all rich or have the extra income to blow on expensive gear.  And that's the ONLY thing that kept me from spending more. 

I would have expected a more civil response from you, especially considering how offended you get when people use the same tone with you over at AVS forum.  I guess I misjudged you.

As I you...

Maybe you should go back and re-read the content and tone of your posts that lead us to this point?

George

Nuance

« Reply #48 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:22 am »
As I you...

Maybe you should g go back and re-read the content and tone of your posts that lead us to this point?

George
I did, but I don't see where my tone is poor?  I am just stating what I believe, and ensuring I used the words "opinion."  What's so wrong with that?  We disagree about one thing and I am the bad guy?  Interesting...

rydenfan

« Reply #49 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:23 am »
why is the assumption than whenever anyone says they prefer one thing to another that they automatically prefer the more expensive ones? Over the last few weeks I had some cables here that I preferred over my current ones. Guess what???? they cost less! People like George have a willingness to constantly question things they hold as truths in this hobby and should be applauded for it, not bashed. Listen to different systems, different gear, different cables and decide for yourself! not everything in life bolis down to science. Do you think Jim purely builds a speaker based off of science? no. They also listen

I have no idea why there is such a general negativity to high-end audio companies? Sure there are crooks in the high-end, just as there are in the low-end. Jim now has a speaker that costs close to 15K, that put him in the high-end spectrum. Nobody would think that his speaker costs that for any reason except for the increase in materials in time. So why is a company like Bolder called in question for offering products as well? I just dont get the double standard  :scratch:

rydenfan

« Reply #50 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:26 am »
That's a pretty low blow.  We aren't all rich or have the extra income to blow on expensive gear.  And that's the ONLY thing that kept me from spending more. 

I would have expected a more civil response from you, especially considering how offended you get when people use the same tone with you over at AVS forum.  I guess I misjudged you.

Nuance, you took my comment COMPLETELY wrong! and I apologize if that is how it came off. my point was that gear is not subtle and you were able to discern it on a piece that does not cost a fortune. Nothing more than that. I was merely making the point that clearly you believe gear does make a difference or you would not have spent your hard earned money on it. Again my apologies if you read it differently. i was only trying to make the point that you hear differences yet were jumping on others for feeling that way so I was confused.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #51 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:27 am »
Quote from: ted_b
Ah...I am pretty sure his work is not proof positive.  If it was, where's the proof?

Nuance,
?? Dan's proof is in all his great reviews, awards and most importantly, many sales and happy customers (esp us tube rollers).  I'm sure you aren't kidding with this response, but surprised you hadn't done your homework. 

Nuance

« Reply #52 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:30 am »
Nuance, you took my comment COMPLETELY wrong! and I apologize if that is how it came off. my point was that gear is not subtle and you were able to discern it on a piece that does not cost a fortune. Nothing more than that. I was merely making the point that clearly you believe gear does make a difference or you would not have spent your hard earned money on it. Again my apologies if you read it differently. i was only trying to make the point that you hear differences yet were jumping on others for feeling that way so I was confused.
Oh, sorry man.  Gotcha.  That's good to know dude, cause for a while there I was pretty bummed.  My apologies.  I am getting gang raped here, so I thought you had just joined in.  :)

I edited my post, by the way.  Sorry.

rlee8394

« Reply #53 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:30 am »

Nuance

« Reply #54 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:32 am »

Nuance,
?? Dan's proof is in all his great reviews, awards and most importantly, many sales and happy customers (esp us tube rollers).  I'm sure you aren't kidding with this response, but surprised you hadn't done your homework. 
Perhaps I was too quick to lump Bolder's work in with the rest of the voodoo and snake oil scams out there.  I recant my statement about them.  If I ever try one of their power supplies, then I'll re-post.  I honestly don't think the difference will be worth the cost, but that's highly opinionated and YMMV. 

I have done my homework, by the way, but it's strictly been the research kind.

Previous posts edited. 
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2009, 05:11 am by Nuance »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:33 am »
Oh, sorry man.  Gotcha.  That's good to know dude, cause for a while there I was pretty bummed.  My apologies.  I am getting gang raped here, so I thought you had just joined in.  :)

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

You are kidding right?

Seriously, re-read your posts.

George

Nuance

« Reply #56 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:40 am »
^ Did you misquote, cause I think I know what you're responding to, but it wasn't what you quoted...

Anyway, no, I am not kidding.  Like I said, in my experience with what I've tested (not Bolder's stuff, so I recant my statement about them, as it was a foolish assumption), subtle differences shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.  That's a scam and is robbery in my opinion.  If your opinion differs - no problem here.  But I won't beat you like a dead horse over it.   :deadhorse:   :lol:

I suppose I should mention, I spent most of the day at a funeral today, so if I am unintentionally being rude, I am sorry.

scp2

« Reply #57 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:51 am »
I will vouch for Bolder..I am a total noob and contacted Wayne about modding my new Duet and wanted the works. After asking about my other equipment he talked me in to a very modest mod and told me to spend my money on other equipment first. I was impressed with his honesty. Most sales/business people would have taken the easy money...and I would have been happy to pay it. Thanks Wayne!!

PS I don't have a clue if the mods are worth it yet..but I did appreciate his style.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #58 on: 8 Jul 2009, 02:02 am »

Nuance,
Perhaps I was too quick to lump Dan's work in with the rest of the voodoo and snake oil scams out there.  I recant my statement about him.  If I ever try one of his power supplies, then I'll re-post.  I honestly don't think the difference will be worth the cost, but that's highly opinionated and YMMV. 

I have done my homework, by the way, but it's strictly been the research kind.

Previous posts edited.

??  I was gonna respond differently to your post but you edited it AGAIN!  You had originally apologized but now dropped it and added the "I have done my homework but it's strictly been the research kind"   :scratch:  and then added  "I honestly don't think the difference will be worth the cost" .   :o  So nevermind, Dan's happy customers and his great work don't need the Nuance stamp of approval.  His proof is widespread....researched or otherwise.

Nuance

« Reply #59 on: 8 Jul 2009, 02:07 am »
Dan's happy customers and his great work don't need the Nuance stamp of approval.  His proof is widespread....researched or otherwise.
Yup - I went edit happy on that one.  I wanted to be sure you knew I shouldn't have lumped Bolder in there, but also that I still think it wouldn't make much difference.  And I never said he needed my "stamp of approval."  That's kind of a silly thing to say, Ted.  Some people won't like Salk, but I won't belittle them, as it's their opinion.  Perhaps you should try doing the same.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2009, 05:10 am by Nuance »