New design - Veracity ST's with W16's

jsalk

New design - Veracity ST's with W16's
« on: 23 May 2013, 04:47 pm »
Todd wanted a pair of Supercharged SongTowers with the Seas W16's rather than the W15's.  We had had a few inquiries about this possibility in the past year, but I dismissed them because it seemed we were developing too many speakers that were too similar.  But because that is what Todd wanted, that's what we did.

As for finish, he wanted us to find some nice quilted maple and do our double-dye finish in a deep rose-red.  So we did that too.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

So, how do they sound?  Well, first you have to realize that these are the same width and depth as a pair of standard SongTowers.  As for height, they are 2" shorter.  So the cabinets are actually smaller than SongTowers. So looking at them, you would not expect them to put out the kind of bass reminiscent of the Veracity HT2-TL's.

When we first fired them up, I was quite amazed by the wound quality.  They sounded very smooth top to bottom and the bass extension exceeded my expectations.  Since we had a pair of HT2-TL's here, we hooked them up and used our ABX switch to switch back and forth.  All I can say is that I was unable to detect any difference in the quality of the bass.

Based on what I heard so far, I think this design is a real winner.  But I have some problems.

First, I don't know what to call them.  Performance-wise, they are closer to the HT2-TL's than the Supercharged SongTowers.  And the sound quality is consistent with what one would expect from a Veracity-series speaker.

The second issue is cost.  The W16's actually cost more than the W18's in the HT2-TL's.  So this model will be priced closer to the HT2-TL's than the Supercharged SongTowers.

But those are very pleasant issues to have to deal with.  (Any feedback in either area is welcomed.)

We are currently working on a few more pairs of these and will be shipping another pair tomorrow.  So we should get some owner feedback soon. 

Until then, happy listening Todd!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2013, 05:48 pm by jsalk »

guillermorb73

Re: New design - Supercharged Songtowers (?) with W16's
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2013, 05:39 pm »
Jim, stunning work, as always.  What do you attribute the 2" shorter height to?  would that height reduction be possible with standard drivers?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2013, 06:55 pm »
Remarkable finish.  Wow!

How about SongTowers X? 

MikeC78

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2013, 07:12 pm »
Well, if they are comparable and smaller to the HT2-TL's... I'd keep it simple, and call them the "Jr's", JR/HT2-TL. :)

"There is nothing "junior" about the sound, but they are junior on the size"  If the full size HT2-TL's are hindering your size constraints or WAF, the Jr's are for you! ;)

Btw, I can't wait to get mine and do a review.  I feel like a kid again...

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2013, 07:29 pm »
Jim, stunning work, as always.  What do you attribute the 2" shorter height to?  would that height reduction be possible with standard drivers?

Cabinets need to be designed for each particular driver.  It just turned out that this particular driver needed far less internal volume than the W18's in the HT2-TL's.  It also needed a shorter line length for the bass tuning. 

Every driver is unique and its needs are related to its performance parameters.  You have to model them to determine what they need.

- Jim

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2013, 08:10 pm »
Nice choices all the way around Todd. No doubt you'll be more than satisfied with them on arrival. Don't forget the obligatory pics (& the truck). Lovely veneer & finish Jim.  :thumb:

Alexdad54

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2013, 08:26 pm »
Ultra ST's as in "ne plus ultra"?

Todd_A

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2013, 08:38 pm »
First, I don't know what to call them.

I know exactly what to call this pair: Mine.  They arrive Tuesday, so it's not that much longer of a wait.  I'll get some serious listening in and offer some comments.

fsimms

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2013, 10:07 pm »
HT 1.9 -TL

Bob

Paul K.

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2013, 11:05 pm »
When I design ML-TLs, like this one for Jim, sometimes fairly specific overall dimensions have already been determined.  Other times, the dimensions are entirely left up to me (and the drivers involved).  Generally, though, for a typical floor-standing MTM, the internal height is going to be somewhere between 36" and 45", so I arbitrarily start with something in that range, knowing that the taller this height the more TL "action" is going to take place and the less will be determined by the mass-loading port acting on the cabinet's volume.  For the internal width, I usually start with something a bit wider than the drivers' flange.  I'll arbitrarily start with whatever depth I think will likely be appropriate.  Once I get further into the modeling, I will change some or all of these dimensions in order to achieve two things, a flat overall response and an F3 that is appropriate (considering driver excursion, port air velocity and maximum system output) and acceptable.  Each design is unique in the details as it's optimized for the drivers being used.
Paul

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2013, 11:17 pm »
Absolutely stunning! You're a lucky man, Todd.

If they have the same sound quality and a similar price as the HT2-TL's can they just be the new HT2-TL's? Or just the HT2-TL Slims?

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2013, 11:54 pm »
Todd...those are amazing.

I like the idea of HT-2 TL  Jr and Sr.  Be interesting to see how many people want the bigger speaker.

et+kooper

« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2013, 11:58 pm »
I received info from Jim my Supercharged Songtowers ? with W16's in Black Satin also shipped today.I am happy at the info Jim said about the W16's being so good with the bass as I wanted speakers close to the HT2-TL's .I will post my thoughts on these new speakers a week after they have been in my system.I want to thank Jim for the help selecting these special speakers.I have had  the SONG TOWERS for a year and they sound great but wanted a little more bass and Jim answered with this new design.
   Thanks for all the help,   Bruce Voigt

et+kooper

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2013, 12:07 am »

If they have the same sound quality and a similar price as the HT2-TL's can they just be the new HT2-TL's? Or just the HT2-TL Slims?
HT2-TL Slims sounds like a great name!!!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2013, 12:31 am »

Slims?  Now surely you've spent enough time on the Philharmonic forums to know that name is locked up, sealed tight, and itching for the first copyright infringement suit. 
"Shorties" is still available.   As is my oft-suggested Stan or Doris. 

Jdgate

« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2013, 01:26 am »
Slims?  Now surely you've spent enough time on the Philharmonic forums to know that name is locked up, sealed tight, and itching for the first copyright infringement suit. 

Personally I think Jim could stick with a little bit of an auto theme.  You have the Song Towers = V6 (but a realllllyy nice one), The Supercharged Songtowers = do I really need to point this one out, and finally the new ones could be named the STBB = SongTowers Big Block.  No replacement for displacement baby!

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2013, 01:45 am »
Personally I think Jim could stick with a little bit of an auto theme.

One step beyond Supercharged would be Nitrocharged Songtowers.

srb

« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2013, 02:00 am »
Because the Songtower, Songtower RT and Songtower SC are all based on 15cm midbass drivers, it makes more sense to me that this speaker with 16cm drivers that is closer in both price and performance to the HT2-TL, would be a slightly smaller member of that family.

Steve

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2013, 02:11 am »
My bad. I haven't been on the forums much lately. I recant my previous post.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2013, 02:31 am »
My bad. I haven't been on the forums much lately. I recant my previous post.

I should hope so.   And which shall it be--Stan or Doris?  Or perhaps Height Challenged?  No--HTC is already taken.  This is getting harder and harder.