Driver placement calculations in single driver enclosures

kinku

rjbond3rd

Re: Driver placement calculations in single driver enclosures
« Reply #21 on: 28 Mar 2013, 02:01 am »
Ha ha, Martin, I'm just paraphrasing from the best. Nice to see you here online!

kinku

« Reply #22 on: 28 Mar 2013, 02:24 am »
What is the difference bewteen TL_ML and ML TQWT?Other than just the shape? Is TQWT is called so because it is a TL with that shape but no change in design parameters?

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #23 on: 29 Mar 2013, 11:51 am »
Historically many people defined a box that was tall and triangular with the driver positioned about half way along the length a TQWT. It is a label that stands for tapered quarter wave tube (or something like that). Add a restriction to the end (a port or a slot) and I started calling it a ML TQWT, people liked the name so it stuck. The physics and the math used to analyze a ML TL or a ML TQWT are the same it is just the shape of the air volume that is different. The shape of the air volume drives the profile of the standing wave which determines the location of the driver and port for optimal response. No magic.

kinku

« Reply #24 on: 31 Mar 2013, 12:35 pm »
Martin,
What all extra parameters do you use in your baffle step correction plots?
Why the graphs from EDGE look different from your work sheet?

MJK

« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2013, 02:22 pm »
My worksheets take into account the actual speaker design, enclosure and driver, and reflections from the room.

The EDGE only accounts for the geometry of the baffle and the placement of the driver. If you extended the baffle in the EDGE to be really really large (infinite baffle) you would get a flat SPL response all the way down to the lowest frequencies independent of the driver fs and roll off, clearly this is not true for a real driver. The EDGE is a great tool for asessing the impact of moving a driver around on a baffle, but people are sometimes fooled into thinking this will be the total SPL response of their speaker.

Internal to my worksheets I can create a plot of only the baffle geometry and layout to compare against the EDGE, when I do this the results are very similar.

kinku

« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2013, 07:38 pm »
Martin,Does your program adjust for speaker placement on baffle?

MJK

« Reply #27 on: 31 Mar 2013, 09:36 pm »
Yes, the worksheets account for the position of the driver and the open end or port on the baffle.