Volume control sensitivity re: SWL 9.0SE

dspringham

Volume control sensitivity re: SWL 9.0SE
« on: 26 Feb 2007, 09:29 pm »
After reading the countless glowing reviews and recommendations for the SWL 9.0SE linestage, I've decided to seriously consider this unit to replace an existing linestage in my current system.

The reason for the replacement is to introduce a preamp with a remote volume control (without, of course compromising sonic performance- my current linestage is extremely good and I'm sure sounds no less stellar then the SWL 9.0SE, however it's designer feels that a remote volume control  (on his model) negatively impacts audio quality, hence no remote option).

My reservation regarding the remote on the SWL is that a few owners have commented on the Alps pot being extremely sensitve and difficult to fine tune/adjust making it somewhat limited in usefullness for anything other than large volume changes.

Can any owners out there please share their comments on this operation issue.

Thanks

David

koiman

Re: Volume control sensitivity re: SWL 9.0SE
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2007, 09:51 pm »
I have absolutely no problem with then sensitivity of the remote an my Modwright SWL 9.0 SE.
Lee :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2007, 10:47 pm »
I have absolutely no problem with then sensitivity of the remote an my Modwright SWL 9.0 SE.
Lee :D
Same here...no problems. :thumb:
 Maybe your thinking of another preamp... :scratch:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2007, 11:33 pm »
I've owned the SWL since day one.  No volume control (sensitivity) problems here at all, even when using a Pronto remote.  The volume sensitivity is no different than any other remote volume I've worked with. 

nzera

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2007, 11:54 pm »
Love the preamp!  Done wonders form my system.  However, I do find the increments at low-to-medium volume to be too large using the remote (not a problem manually).  Probably only an issue if you have sensitive speakers, listen at low volumes, or have a high gain amp. 

Normanality

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2007, 12:10 am »
however it's designer feels that a remote volume control  (on his model) negatively impacts audio quality, hence no remote option).

That sounds like a McAlister  :lol:  I've still got his new ML33 here but without a remote, it just doesn't cut mustard.  Besides, the Modwright is far better sonically.

However, I do find the increments at low-to-medium volume to be too large using the remote (not a problem manually)

I had the same issue with the basic remote supplied.  Once I went to a better programmable remote, small increments are not an issue at any level.

dspringham

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2007, 01:45 am »
Thanks everyone for the info.

Normanality - I think you have identified the issue I was referring to. It seems that the output level can be "tweeked" by tapping/bumping the remote volume up/down buttons. I am considering the purchase of this preamp. If I do get one I would like more info on your remote solution (programming another remote).

Also, the preamp I have is not a McAlllister but a Wyetech Labs Coral. A wonderful linestage with very high level of performance.
The Coral used a stepped ELMA dual Volume control with 24 gold plated contacts and surface mounted 0.1% precision resistors.

I would hope that the SWL 9.0SE would be comparable performer to the Coral with the convenience of a remote control.

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2007, 10:40 pm »
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.  It really does come down to how efficient your speakers are and the input sensitivity of your amp(s).  The unit has 15dB of gain and this can be adjusted down.  Right now, the units ship with a Universal remote.  We are expecting the new MWI custom remotes in by April, but aside from the cool look and feel, the action will be the same.  The pulse length sent to the motor for the Alps blue volume control is set.

RE sonics compared to you Wytech Coral, I can't comment directly as I have not heard this unit.  I can however, refer you to a review in The Inner Ear, Volume 17 No3. 2006/2007 - 20th Anniversary Issue, where they compared the SWL 9.0SE (non tube-rectified version) to their reference, which is the Wytech Opal.  I believe you will be surprised at how favorably the two compared.  They DID overall prefer the $8K Opal to the ModWright in some respects, but were blown away by the performance of our $2500 product.

Now that we have upgraded the unit with tube rectifier and are offering both the 9.0SE and 9.0 'Signature Edition' (tube rect.), I am hoping that T.I.E. will offer us a follow-up review.  I believe that the tube rectifier upgrade would very much surprise them with its sonic impacts.

I hope this helps.  I respect the Wytech name and their designs very much.

Take care,

Dan W.

dspringham

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2007, 12:20 am »
Thank you Dan and everyone else who responded to my concern.

I am pleased to report that I have purchased an SWL 9.0SE on the used market and will be taking delivery for the weekend.

The Wyetech Coral I am currently using is a great instrument, however one of the things I am most excited about with regards to becoming a Modwright owner is the opportunity to become part of the great community that supports and surrounds this product line. Also, I really like the idea of the incremental upgrade path associated this product. I'm sure the SE will sound great as is, but it's cool to know that at a later date I can upgrade with the tube rectified power supply when I want to "kick it up a notch".

I will be running the SWL with Nuforce Ref 9.02's into Gallo Ref 3.1's. Front end is a Macbook running i-tunes with Apple Lossless encoding. The  Macbook feeds a Wavelength Audio Cosecant DAC via USB connnection.

I'm interested in comparing the Wyetech Coral linestage/Onyx SET monoblock combo versus the Modwright/Nuforce pairing.

Thanks again everybody.
Dave

Midnite Mick

« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2007, 01:38 am »
Hey David, I see you decided to pull the trigger on the Modwright linestage.  Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it.

Mike

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2007, 04:16 am »
Nice choice Dave.
 Now you can sit back and enjoy it for a while and make the upgrade decision at your own pace after you have had a chance to evaluate it in it's current form.

I know you will enjoy the pairing with the NuForce and if you find you want a bit more romance in the presentation, you can opt for the tube rectified upgrade.

Do keep us posted on your findings. Till then, happy listening.

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:54 am »
Hi David, I am pleased that you decided to purchase a MWI product.  I am certain that you will be very pleased with it and yes we do have a good community of product owners and an attractive upgrade path.

Enjoy and take care!

Dan W.

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
    • Bay Area Audiophile Society
« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2007, 11:02 pm »

My reservation regarding the remote on the SWL is that a few owners have commented on the Alps pot being extremely sensitive and difficult to fine tune/adjust making it somewhat limited in usefullness for anything other than large volume changes.

Congrat's on purchasing the SWL -- it's a great product.

To provide closure on this issue, evidently some early SWL units suffered from hyper-sensitive, noisy pots. I know -- I own one. (Dan is in the process of fixing mine, no charge.)

I use mine with a Denon/Modwright CDP, an ASL amp, and VR-4's. The volume behavior was the same with a 200wpc SS amp that I own.

My dealer -- Jeff at Audible Arts, who is great -- loaned me his current demo SWL 9SE and the volume knob works flawlessly. My guess is that yours does too....

Bob

modwright

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2007, 07:44 am »
Hi Bob, yes your unit is on the bench and will be finallized tomorrow.

FWIW, the LS 36.5 circuit features less gain and thus less volume sensitivity.  This combined with its output impedance of 110ohms (previously stated as 600ohms, but this was disproven with recent measurements).  The use of high-quality output transformers allows for not only a lower noise floor, but also a VERY friendly output impedance of 110ohms.  The 9.0SE has an output impedance of ~ 600ohms.  It too has proven capable of driving any load presented it to it.

Thanks,

Dan

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
    • Bay Area Audiophile Society
« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2007, 08:01 am »
FWIW, the LS 36.5 circuit features less gain and thus less volume sensitivity.  This combined with its output impedance of 110ohms.

Thanks, Dan. This explains much. I can't wait to get my mod'ed unit back!

Best,

Bob

dspringham

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2007, 01:35 pm »
I must say that I am very much enjoying the SWL9.0SE that I recently purchased and am very pleased with the performance. I have found that the reactivity of the remote volume control has not been much of a concern (my Gallo Ref 3.1's are moderately efficient). A single "pulse" of the remote volume up or down buttons provides sufficiently fine adjustment. With my set-up (Nuforce Ref 9.02 amps and Gallo 3.1's) and average listening levels however, I find that I am operating the volume control in the 7 to 10 o'clock position (or first 1/4 of the range). I'm wondering if there would be any audible benefit in lowering the gain on the SWL9 in order to be able to operate the volume in more of the middle range - say 10 - 2 o'clock. Would this mid range volume position operate the gain stage in a more "linear" portion of it's amplification curve resulting in a lower noise floor and more dynamic presentation? Would it even be audibley perceptible?

Dan has mentioned that the LS 36.5 has a lower gain spec. What figure would this be? I believe the SWL9.0SE is set a 16 db. I am an Electronics Engineering Technologist by trade and am wondering if the gain on the SWL9 can be "field" adjusted to a lower gain setting (I'm assuming this would involve the substitution of some resistor values in the gain stages).

Also, is there any way to evaluate the condition of the tubes? Being a preowned unit, I'm not sure how long the installed tubes (Tungsols) have been in use.
Without access to a tube tester, are there any obvious audible clues that might indicate tube degredation (increased noise etc).

Thanks Dan and everyone in advance for the helpful comments.

Dave

dspringham

« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2007, 01:38 pm »
Forgot to ask, if there is any pricing information available on the new Modwright branded remote control?

Thanks,
Dave

modwright

« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2007, 05:40 pm »
Hi, first of all I do not believe that there is any sonic detrement to operating the unit at the 9:00 - 10:00 position on the remote.  The only way to lower the gain actually involves further attenuating the input signal to the volume control and this can lead to BW limitation.

I have to measure the actual gain of the LS 36.5, but I believe it is probably closer to 12dB or so.  I will measure and confirm.

Pricing for the new remote with new 20-pin PIC chip to replace stock socketed 20-pin DIP, is $75.  Please see your local dealer to purchase when available.  These are expected to be available in mid-late april.

Thanks,

Dan

Midnite Mick

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2007, 03:56 am »
My volume control is doing something funky lately.  When I press one click up on the remote the knob just keeps going up...it does not stop.  Very scary the first time it happened I had to run to the preamp as it wouldn't stop getting louder.  Then when I actually physically turn it down to zero it still rises....I have to turn it down a few times for this to stop.  Same thing happens if I press down once on the remote, it turns itself right down to zero.  I can physically turn it up afterward but then it still goes down on its own.  Has this happened before?

Mike

PS. Dave I bought mine as a demo unit and just had to replace the tubes the other night.  I was getting noise coming through all of the drivers of the right channel.  However, through the HT bypass mode there wasn't any noise.

HumanMedia

« Reply #19 on: 27 Mar 2007, 11:39 pm »
I had exactly the same issue after the tube rect upgrade.  Waiting to hear back from Dan about it now.