Pro amp?

mcgsxr

Pro amp?
« on: 26 Nov 2013, 12:49 pm »
In my quest to surf the curve of the low end of used audio, I am now on the hunt for an amp.

I currently use PC front end, Pioneer AVR and Paradigm Reference Studion 20's.  When I use the Pioneer in Pure Direct mode, the 2 channel listening is good, but I have to wonder if an outboard amp would not do better.

Budget - $200-$250 tops.
WPC - I'd like to see 100wpc or more
Fan noise not relevant - I have a dedicated media closet separate from the listening area
Preference for local, since shipping a heavy amp would use up 25% of the skimpy budget

Found a few Yamaha pro amps locally (P2100, P2150, P2250) and a first generation Bryston 3B all within the budget on CL.

I know that they are older, and may eventually need recapping etc.

Anyone played around with a pro amp for their main 2 channel setup?

Nick77

Re: Pro amp?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2013, 01:22 pm »
So you would use the AVR pre outs? I doubt a pro amp would better the SQ of your AVR.

But something like this would do the ticket for a couple bucks more.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121457.0

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2013, 01:28 pm »
I would seek to use the pre outs on my Pioneer, correct.

I could save up for a better amp, that is also an option.  I have heard good things about those particular amps, and have much experience in the past with digital amps.

I might try one of the pro amps just for kicks, they hold their value so the experiment would not cost me much.  I used Yorkville amps during my working in the bar days, and my first ever stereo amp was a Yamaha back in the 80's. 

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2013, 01:32 pm »
I've used an ART SLA-2 as my backup and test bench amp for a few years. Stable, decent sound, and cheap on CL when they come up.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLA2

Nick77

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2013, 01:34 pm »
I have a Behringer you could try, but alas your north of the border. :)

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2013, 04:27 pm »

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2013, 04:50 pm »
mcgsxr,

Try doing a search on CL for Adcom and see what comes up. A 555 amp would be nice.....

dflee

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2013, 05:56 pm »
I have a Nakamichi RE2 in a second system and replaced the bridge pins (steel) with a
couple of bridge connections (Cardas I think) and it improved the sound significantly. I
am able to turn the volume up higher without starting to distort out. It is a cheap tweek
and may improve your set up.

Don

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2013, 07:00 pm »
Max I like that B&K, but shipping to Canada would likely kill it for budget.  Best I could do would be to ship it to Buffalo to a place and then drive there to pick it up.

My Pioneer is a VSX-1018AH-K, so a full 7.1 surround piece.  I am using only 5.1 with it though, and looking to use the pre outs for the main L and R with the proposed amp.

We will see what comes up in the local classifieds over a month or so, and I will pounce on the right deal.  That is how I found the Paradigms I am using.

The only local Adcom is a 535 a guy wants $250 for!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2013, 09:37 pm »
Check out Hafler.  The model I used to own was 125 watt/channel.  You  might be able to find one in your price range.  Can't exactly remember the model though. sorry.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2013, 12:25 am »
I had a similar curiosity and bought two pro amps in your budget, then wrote up the experience here on AC :

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109617.0

Comments from others on AC on that topic could be useful to you as well.

Bottom line : I think I'd try to find a used parasound amp in your price range. Lots of guts but still listenable.

Pro amps can be useful for subwoofers - or maybe even for concert use outside - but otherwise are likely to be too bright / rough for audiophile home use. That my conclusion - but I've not heard all the pro amp options.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2013, 12:50 am »
Valid perspective, and appreciate the input.  I like the associated gear you used, and I like that you shared.

I have had pro amps in the past for subs I built, but never once tried them for the mains.  I currently use a 500w plate amp for my DIY HT sub, but that will eventually fail, so perhaps I can experiment with picking up a cheap amp now, and either flip it, or put it on the shelf as a backup for the subs.

There is just a mystique about Yamaha power amps for me - my first amp was a Yamaha, and I used big Yammies when I was a DJ in College.

We'll see how the misty vision of the past lives up to the cold hard reality of the present!  :lol:

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2013, 02:22 am »
Not familiar with pro amps but for something on the cheap look for an older NAD receiver, the tuner usually gets noisy first and the pre-amp section, not anything you would want to keep anyway, wears out too but the amp section is terrific. I use my really old 7155's amp section for center channel duty and am surprised on how well it does driving two JBL 2500 speakers.

Although rated for only 55 W/ch, the NAD 7155 has +3dB dynamic headroom for 110 W/ch for peaks. The high-current output stage is able to deliver peak currents up to 40A into 2 ohms and it has a bridge switch to turn it into a 150W mono amp.

Wayne   

Ericus Rex

« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2013, 11:57 am »
Check out Hafler.  The model I used to own was 125 watt/channel.  You  might be able to find one in your price range.  Can't exactly remember the model though. sorry.

OK.  Did some searching.  I used to own the XL-280.  But I think the DH-200 is probably just as good.  Both can be found for under $200.

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2013, 12:52 pm »
There are sometimes Hafler DH200's around, and if there was I would take a poke at one.  They tend to hold their value no problem, so a try and flip would work.

I found a Yamaha P2100 last night and am meeting up today. 

If it does not do it for me, I am confident I can flip it locally for the $120 I am investing in it.

85wpc, no fan, a robust road worthy piece.  We will see what it sounds like.

Nick77

« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2013, 01:07 pm »
That old Yamy seems to have a following, you just might be on to something. Good luck, keep us posted.

The one thing i took away from jarcher's thread was when he used a good power cord the amp responded accordingly. Ive noticed that with the Behringer i have for sub duty. Using a good 12awg PC improved the quality of bass quite a bit. :)

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2013, 01:49 pm »
I have the amp in the rack, and let it run overnight playing music at low levels.  I will do some critical listening over the weekend.

Early stage reaction is that it does nothing better than my Pioneer.  Not sure it does anything worse either.

Worst case I flip it, or use it to take load off the AVR by putting the rear channels or center through it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2013, 05:56 pm »
The only local Adcom is a 535 a guy wants $250 for!
I'm using a borrowed 535 and feel it's a great unit. Might be a bit steep at $250 though.

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2013, 03:18 pm »
I've had the chance to let the amp run 24/7 for days, and have spent time listening.

Frankly, I think it does nothing wrong, but in my system it does not add anything special either.

So, given I was shopping for musical improvement (whatever that sounds like) at a price, I think it has failed.  Not that it does not make music, and is the equal of my Pioneer.

So, listed locally for what I paid.  I am sure someone will find it interesting, or worst case I will connect it to the rears of my AVR, and relieve it of 2 channels so it can focus on the front 3.

Appreciate the advice guys, some people just cannot be helped!   :P

Nick77

« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2013, 03:51 pm »
I will add that i switched from my AVR to the amp linked above (SDS254) and it was a night/day experience. Good luck with your journey. :)