redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: Picture Food Needed
« Reply #1322 on: 26 Apr 2013, 04:35 pm »

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #1323 on: 26 Apr 2013, 07:39 pm »
Work is slowly progressing in the listening room renovation, the drywall guy wasn't kidding about the amount of work the walls required. Some people should never go near drywall compound  :nono:

Be well...

spinner

« Reply #1324 on: 26 Apr 2013, 07:42 pm »
  and the dust it produces !...cover all your near by components well like turntables and digital drives :thumb:

Laundrew

« Reply #1325 on: 26 Apr 2013, 07:58 pm »
  and the dust it produces !...cover all your near by components well like turntables and digital drives :thumb:

Oh so true and thank you for the advice - the audio gear is at the other end of the house behind closed doors  :thumb:

Be well...

won ton on

« Reply #1326 on: 26 Apr 2013, 08:27 pm »
Laundrew............You might also want to close off the heating vents and put a towel at the bottom of the door.That dust seems to go every where.

PRELUDE

« Reply #1327 on: 26 Apr 2013, 09:46 pm »
Work is slowly progressing in the listening room renovation, the drywall guy wasn't kidding about the amount of work the walls required. Some people should never go near drywall compound  :nono:

Be well...
You have no idea how bad I wish that I could work with drywall right now.
I am finishing the concrete floor and wall right now and so far I have spent more then 20 hours every weekend for 2 months so far and slept front the computer 3 times and forgot to have my hot cop of tea more then 5 times.
Back to work right now.

PRELUDE

« Reply #1328 on: 26 Apr 2013, 09:56 pm »
No more drywall dust in my house hold. :thumb:

Laundrew

« Reply #1329 on: 27 Apr 2013, 01:23 pm »
You have no idea how bad I wish that I could work with drywall right now.
I am finishing the concrete floor and wall right now and so far I have spent more then 20 hours every weekend for 2 months so far and slept front the computer 3 times and forgot to have my hot cop of tea more then 5 times.
Back to work right now.

Hello PRELUDE  :D

Sometimes it can be very difficult to find the time to work on projects with our day-to-day responsibilities. At times I would only have time to hang a single sheet of drywall after work or run wiring. As for drywall mudding, this is definitely outside of my skill level. You can see by the amount of mudding required on my existing walls how awful the last owner of our home was with mudding.

Be well...

PRELUDE

« Reply #1330 on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:01 pm »
Hello PRELUDE  :D

Sometimes it can be very difficult to find the time to work on projects with our day-to-day responsibilities. At times I would only have time to hang a single sheet of drywall after work or run wiring. As for drywall mudding, this is definitely outside of my skill level. You can see by the amount of mudding required on my existing walls how awful the last owner of our home was with mudding.

Be well...
Hi Laundrew,
I am with you 100% and doing this stuff + being a full time employee(one like myself) will make you breathless.
If I see the last owner of my house, I think I will say something to him/her that would never forget it. My 98% of the problem is them not the work itself. I would appreciated a lot if they would left everything the way it was. Now I have to fix what ever done incorrectly then start doing the job all over again.
If I have to buy a house again (I hope not)I will only pay for the frame on build my own.

JfTM

« Reply #1331 on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:02 pm »
No more drywall dust in my house hold. :thumb:

+1 for Festool

Great tools, great dust collection system.

I've been using them since the mid 90s.

Laundrew

« Reply #1332 on: 27 Apr 2013, 05:48 pm »
Hector enjoying a Spring day in his backyard - it is very difficult to be a Boxer in the Laundrew household  :roll:
His scar on the front of his hind leg from last year's knee operation is still evident

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #1333 on: 4 May 2013, 03:59 pm »
Still playing with the new camera, although I am not a photo bug, I would like to purchase a macro lens.

An ant drags off a dead worm - the macro lens would of been great for this photo.

Be well...

PRELUDE

« Reply #1334 on: 5 May 2013, 11:38 pm »
Laundrew,
Do not you wish this turntable was next to your system? :thumb:

Laundrew

« Reply #1335 on: 6 May 2013, 12:50 am »
Laundrew,
Do not you wish this turntable was next to your system? :thumb:

Is it "plug and play?"

:lol:

Be well...

PRELUDE

« Reply #1336 on: 6 May 2013, 01:31 am »
Is it "plug and play?"

:lol:

Be well...
I think this one eventually will play but you still have to plug it in. :lol:

Laundrew

« Reply #1337 on: 8 May 2013, 11:49 am »
The listening room renovations are creeping along - the mudder has been very erratic at showing up. It is too bad as he does do great work but this will be his last job at the Laundrew household so hopefully this will be completed in the next week or so. Next comes paint, trim and the carpet.

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #1338 on: 10 May 2013, 11:47 am »
It is amazing how quickly everything has started to bloom in the last week.

Be well...

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1339 on: 11 May 2013, 12:54 am »
Good day, picture food fans:

Here are a few rough photos of our latest acquisitions: an SP3, BDP-2, BDA-2 (all with blue lights/displays), and Oppo BDP-105 (along with lots of lovely Bryston XLR cables and an AES/EBU cable between the BDP and BDA). We ran CAT6 from the apt gear to an eight-port Cisco enterprise switch hidden in a utility box behind the Paradigm Reference Signature ADP surround speaker mounted on the cabinet (alas, our room has one open wall, so this was the only viable place to mount a surround speaker); the cable goes through the attic to a network port in my office, then to a five-port Cisco enterprise switch, and to our Airport Extreme. This gigabit connection should be suitable for streaming. Thanks to the illustrious Chris Rice, we have a 500gb Samsung SSD purring along happily in the BDP-2.

FWIW, the cherry cabinet is getting ready to be buttoned up. There are smoked glass doors that cover the equipment area. Right now, there are discs and manuals cluttering things up while I'm setting up the gear. We're in the middle of a front yard makeover, so dust finds its way everywhere, despite polishing things every few days.

Here's the tour, from top to bottom:
1.   Top shelf: 200 pound full-entension sliders holding a beefy 6BSST(C); the sliding shelf is handy when making connections and dusting/cleaning gear.
2.   Next shelf down: same sliders holding a not-so-beefy, but still quite hefty 4BSST(C).
3.   This stationary shelf holds the media controller (tuner and switching/processing) for our Pioneer Elite PRO-1130 TV. It will be good to reclaim the space when we replace the TV.
4.   The sliding shelf holds our SP3 and above it the (ugh!) Comcast DVR (soon to be relocated when I can figure out where).
5.   On this sliding shelf rests another substantial 4BSST(C).
6    Below the centerline of the cabinet is a utility drawer for remotes and other goodies.
7.   On this stationary shelf, the Oppo BDP-105 holds forth. (We'll reorganize the shelving when the BOT-1 is released.)
8.   The incredible BDP-2 sits on this stationary shelf.
9.   This stationary shelf holds the smooth-as-silk BDA-2.
10. The very heavy APC S20 battery backup/power conditioner sits on this sliding shelf.

All shelves, save the one with the magnetic catch for the glass doors (under the Pioneer box) are adjustable in small increments. I would have liked to locate the power amps differently but, wouldn't you know it, we didn't have enough cable lengths to do so. I may put Niles speaker plates with five-way binding posts on the back wall, but I hate to break and remake the connections on the speaker cables. What are your thoughts on this?

The top part of the cabinet has three storage compartments with interior shelving and push-to-open doors flanking the gear. The bottom portion holds ten deep drawers (sounds like a nasty movie) that hold Blu-ray and DVD discs; these also have hefty (but not so hefty as those above) full-extension sliders. In the cubby holes (cluttered for now), there are power outlets (there are two 20-amp dedicated circuits for the system), halogen lighting for the cubbies, light switches/dimmers for the room, and a timer for a whisper exhaust fan at the top of the cabinet. You'll notice holes in the middle of the shelves to allow for convection cooling as well. So far, things run quite cool (and did when the doors were on the cabinet).

You'll see a Paradigm Reference Signature S4 rear speaker with a rather sloppy cable running to a wall socket; I just got Niles Audio 5W4D switch plates with four five-way binding posts and will be able to dress the speaker cable through the stand and connect it with banana plugs. FWIW, since I had some long cable runs, I used substantial Ultralink in-wall OFC cables: CL-412 (four 12-gauge strands, which I twisted together to make two strands for LF) and CL-414 (four 14 gauge strands, twisted to a pair for mids and HF); these terminate at the Bryston amps with industrial-strength Ultralink locking banana plugs and pro-spades to make tight biwired connections.

There's lots of work left to do, but this weekend we will finally get to sit and enjoy the system. In the short time we've had with the new gear, we've been delighted with the accuracy, power, and smoothness of the audio. I've never heard better sound from the system. It's been revelatory and engaging, and should sound even better when I have a chance to tweak the SP3's settings and calibrate our speakers and subs.

Best to all, Bryston fans, and happy listening,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130