Working on my horn system again, finally

JoshK

Working on my horn system again, finally
« on: 2 Dec 2012, 11:26 pm »
So I am actually getting back to putting my horn system together.  Have a slew of stuff coming that will all factor into how it goes together.

Just received my Beyma TPL-150Hs in the mail yesterday and I am sure to try them out first.   

My 211 monoblocks ship this week, so I have them to work with. 

My Iwata 300hz are meant to ship in a week or so, and I'll be using Radian P950PBs with those.

I intend to have a pair of 80hz midbass horns made in January and I'll be using my AE TD15X bass bins for the lowest octaves.

Plus I have the big 140hz Mahogany horns to work with, but stands and integration are difficult with these.

Does this sound like a brainstorm, cause it kinda is....

Josh

rjbond3rd

Re: Working on my horn system again, finally
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2012, 12:04 am »
Hi JoshK,

Exciting.  It seems that the horn life consists of moving horns in and out, assembling and disassembling -- always under construction :)

Is your Iwata the lip-shaped one?  I have Azurahorns which are roughly the same size as your mahogany horns (if those are the Elevenhorns).  What do you drive the mahogany horns with?

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2012, 12:12 am »
The Elevenhorn 140hz, as you guessed correctly, were made for Faital 5" midbasses per JLH's experimentation and data.  This means they have a 4" throat.  They would be perfect with 5" lowthers as well.    The only rub is their weight distribution, which makes them a bitch to swing up high where they should go and they are 38" round which makes them not too easy to integrate center-to-center.   

Definitely trying to push them into action, but its going to be a task.

The iwatas are from Autotech (horns.pl) and have a squashed vertical profile which makes them a bit easier C2C spacing.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2012, 12:24 am »
Those Iwata's look incredibly cool and room-friendly.

I have the Azurahorns for 8" Lowther but would love to have the flexibility you have, to use the 5" Lowther.

I'm subscribed and look forward to hearing more as you build your system(s).

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2012, 12:27 am »
Any pictures of your system?    I have a few of the raw bits here but nothing all encompassing.

I've had an itch to try the 5" lowthers on these horns.    I think it would avoid some of the issues that the 8"s have in loading a big horn, at least in theory.  Would definitely give them gain and less internal bounce.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2012, 12:35 am »
I have no pics of the current system.  I was using SpeakerLab K-horns on the bottom, and just moved them into the garage.  I switched to LaScala bins and they are covered with green carpeting (they were converted for PA use and it's not pretty).

So this winter, I have to strip off that carpeting, remove the metal edging and (sadly) patch the square cutouts where they stuck some plastic handles.  And I have to fill several hundred rivet holes.  I'll take before-and-after pics though.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2012, 12:36 am »
I'd rather have good sounding and ugly speakers than the other way around.   Then again, I don't fit the standard audiophile mold.

brj

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2012, 03:50 am »
Glad to hear you're working audio projects again, Josh!  Wasn't there going to be a SEOS in the mix too?

Perhaps an engine hoist to move the big horns up top? :)

mboxler

« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2012, 03:53 am »
I've been working on these for a year!  Building a Decware amp to drive the tops, may try a small ClassDAudio amp for the bass bins.

Mike

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2012, 08:42 am »
I still have various SEOS waveguides to try, including in this project.  But my thoughts for the SEOS is mostly to use in my HT system which will be seperate downstairs in the man cave.

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2012, 01:16 pm »
Mike, is that the fastrack rebuild?  I've still never heard a pair of klipsch cornerhorns.  I've heard fortes and cornwalls, but never their flagships.   Do you notice any time alignment issues?   I am a bit of a bug when it comes to time alignment.

mboxler

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2012, 02:10 pm »
Mike, is that the fastrack rebuild?  I've still never heard a pair of klipsch cornerhorns.  I've heard fortes and cornwalls, but never their flagships.   Do you notice any time alignment issues?   I am a bit of a bug when it comes to time alignment.

Bought it from Volti Audio

http://www.klipschupgrades.com/vtrac.shtml

BMS 4592ND-MID's...couple of different horn tweeters.

Replaced crossovers with pair from ALK Engineering, but plan on playing with active and/or tweeter positioning. 

Difficult to get a 104 dB woofer, a 118 dB mid, and a 109 dB tweeter to play well together, but love my '86 'horns!

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 3 Dec 2012, 03:12 pm »
I am going to have difficulties in my first attempt at xo mock-up too.  I am planning to first marry the Beyma's (~102db/w) to Radian/Iwata (~110db/w) to AE TD15X (95db/w).  Likely going to biamp and use my Audioprism for the TD15Xs.   

Here are two not too dissimilar implementations with the Iwatas.
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=hug&m=163547

mboxler

« Reply #13 on: 3 Dec 2012, 03:40 pm »
 :drool:

I've been following your project with envy.  Wondering how that top end would sound over a pair of these VMPS original subs I have...

This isn't one of mine, but it's the same one.  I believe it can cross at 200 Hz. 

More importantly...hope your feeling better. 

Mike

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2012, 02:44 am »
Just received my Iwata horns in the mail today.  Wow, they are smoking hot in person!   Its going to be hard to photograph them with justice.   I got the Iwata 300hz and the 600hz.   With the intention of keeping dispersion higher.    I will of course be trying out the Beyma TPL150Hs with them as well, but it is good to have choices.

Freo-1

« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2012, 02:31 pm »
Just received my Iwata horns in the mail today.  Wow, they are smoking hot in person!   Its going to be hard to photograph them with justice.   I got the Iwata 300hz and the 600hz.   With the intention of keeping dispersion higher.    I will of course be trying out the Beyma TPL150Hs with them as well, but it is good to have choices.
Josh, are you going to post some photos?  I'm keen to see these.

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2012, 02:56 pm »
Yeah....a bit later on today.   I am just finishing up breakfast here and was going to start working on setting things up for some measurements.

Josh

JoshK

« Reply #17 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:37 pm »

Just a couple of raw photos.   Haven't really set anything up yet.   Been procrastinating...

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2012, 10:57 pm »
211 monoblocks came in today.   Unpacking them.  Heavy mo-fos!   Going to see if I can't haul my horn speakers upstairs and work out a quick xo (switching rooms for audio/HT) to listen to the big boys.   Otherwise, I will hook up the Tannoys (92db/w) and at least give them a listen.

Freo-1

« Reply #19 on: 24 Dec 2012, 01:56 pm »
211 monoblocks came in today.   Unpacking them.  Heavy mo-fos!   Going to see if I can't haul my horn speakers upstairs and work out a quick xo (switching rooms for audio/HT) to listen to the big boys.   Otherwise, I will hook up the Tannoys (92db/w) and at least give them a listen.

Josh, that is quite the way to celebrate the holidays!  8)  I take it the 211's are the ones from Germany? 
Please post pics of the amps and the setup when you get a chance.  The speakers look great.