The GR crossover for Usher BE718

NKB

The GR crossover for Usher BE718
« on: 11 Dec 2019, 03:10 am »
Hello, I recently acquired a pair of Usher BE718 with DMD tweeter. I’m wondering if it is worth pursuing the GR crossover modifications? I can’t find much info about what exactly is changed aside from the different brands of components and that vertical dispersion was improved. The speakers are great, though I feel there is a slight hardness to the sound and that they may sound better with the crossover that all the review units were using. What do you guys think? :)

Danny Richie

Re: The GR crossover for Usher BE718
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2019, 03:44 am »
Hello, I recently acquired a pair of Usher BE718 with DMD tweeter. I’m wondering if it is worth pursuing the GR crossover modifications? I can’t find much info about what exactly is changed aside from the different brands of components and that vertical dispersion was improved. The speakers are great, though I feel there is a slight hardness to the sound and that they may sound better with the crossover that all the review units were using. What do you guys think? :)

I designed the crossover in all of the models that were sold in North America.

The Diamond tweeter has higher sensitivity and isn't really a drop in replacement. It needs an adjustment to the crossover or a crossover designed just for that tweeter.

maty

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2019, 09:01 am »
https://www.stereophile.com/content/usher-audio-technology-be-718-loudspeaker-measurements

The Usher Be-718 was both less sensitive than average and less sensitive than specified, at an estimated 85dB(B)/2.83V/m.

Offsetting the speaker's need for voltage, however, is an impedance modulus that remains above 6 ohms throughout the bass and midrange, and drops below 6 ohms only briefly in the treble (fig.1). Only a combination of 5.7 ohms magnitude and –41° electrical phase angle at 2.5kHz keeps the Usher from being rated an easy load for the partnering amplifier to drive.

http://www.soundscapeav.com/Usher/BE-Series.htm

GR-Research, Danny Richie crossover US redesign

Resized and optimized

The Be-718's drivers, crossovers, and timed-aligned cabinets are designed and built by Mr. Tsai Lien Shui at Usher Taiwan, with finishing cosmetics supplied by Kam Young in the United Kingdom. Dr. Joseph D'Appolito, Usher's long-serving technical consultant, provides crossover tuning here in the 'States. Crossover parts and JPS Labs internal wiring are made in the USA, while design wizard Danny Richie, of Texas based GR-Research, adds the finishing touches by selecting the crossovers premium parts, improving the speaker's baffle step compensation and vertical off axis response.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2019, 01:40 am »
I was lucky enough to install Danny's crossover into the first pair. I worked quite a bit with Usher speakers years ago. My only regret was not grabbing a pair of these speakers for myself. Well worth the cost of admission.

NKB

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2019, 07:09 am »
Thanks for the info, so the upgrade was designed only for the Titanium Beryllium tweeter?
I’m guessing Usher changed the stock crossover when they changed to the DMD.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2019, 04:57 pm »
Thanks for the info, so the upgrade was designed only for the Titanium Beryllium tweeter?
I’m guessing Usher changed the stock crossover when they changed to the DMD.

I hope they did. The sensitivity is quite a bit higher.