GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

sts9fan

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #1020 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:27 pm »
Let's keep the emotional responses to a minimum. Time is a factor. Not everyone is willing to tie up their money for a year. There are plenty of great sounding options. As said AK would be on my shortlist.  There are very few
reasons I can think of for such a long wait. Hire help, that's what growing businesses do.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #1021 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:33 pm »
I know at one point he had hired a guy for the help, and thought output would improve. It didn't last long, and I am not sure why. I have seen him mention he would sell it off.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #1022 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:36 pm »
Here's some of the waveguides/horns in the group buy.

I'm getting some of the SEOS  but in the 18" version. These are the 10" and 15".

I suppose I'm getting too far OT. This probably deserves its' own thread. :oops:

jackman

« Reply #1023 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:46 pm »
Here's some of the waveguides/horns in the group buy.

I'm getting some of the SEOS  but in the 18" version. These are the 10" and 15".

I suppose I'm getting too far OT. This probably deserves its' own thread. :oops:

Agreed!  This looks like a good winter project.  I'd move it to its own thread. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1024 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:52 pm »
That blue one would look more interesting if it were pink.

BrassEar

« Reply #1025 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:01 pm »
I think "mgalusha" said it best, Abbeys are like electrostats with balls.

This is interesting as I recently sold my Geddes to go back to ML electrostats. My conclusion was that the B&C DE250 driver just didn't give me the detail I was looking for.

FYI, I went from multiple Maggies => Geddes => ML Aeon-i with multiple subs.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #1026 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:07 pm »
Here's the full pallet shipped from Poland. :D

jackman

« Reply #1027 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:08 pm »
That blue one would look more interesting if it were pink.

...and mounted vertically? :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #1028 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:08 pm »
Bad move. No speakers beat Gedlee.

jackman

« Reply #1029 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:19 pm »

I look forward to hearing them sometime...but I ain't drinking no Kool-Aid!
 :nono:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #1030 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:37 pm »
This is interesting as I recently sold my Geddes to go back to ML electrostats. My conclusion was that the B&C DE250 driver just didn't give me the detail I was looking for.

FYI, I went from multiple Maggies => Geddes => ML Aeon-i with multiple subs.

Maybe a better/more expensive beryllium compression tweeter/ driver would've given you the detail.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #1031 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:45 pm »

Wow....learn something new everyday.... :duh:

JDUBS

« Reply #1032 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm »
I look forward to hearing them sometime...but I ain't drinking no Kool-Aid!
 :nono:

Ha!  I'm guessing he's joking.

-Jim

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #1033 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:06 am »
I'd put that to the test if owners (Summa preferably) in the SE weren't so frighted at the prospect of me coming over.
Armed.
(speakers, no lightsaber)

cheers,

AJ

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1034 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:08 am »
I'd put that to the test if owners (Summa preferably) in the SE weren't so frighted at the prospect of me coming over.
Armed.
(speakers, no lightsaber)

cheers,

AJ

You can come just about any time.  Armed!  If yours are better to me, I'll buy them.  It's that simple.   :D

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #1035 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:04 am »
I know at one point he had hired a guy for the help, and thought output would improve. It didn't last long, and I am not sure why. I have seen him mention he would sell it off.

Hi all - a little update.  There is no clear solution here and the wait times have gotten worse not better.  if you want your money back just let me know.

"So what's the problem!?"  Its this.  It is not economically viable for me to make speakers, its that simple.  My consulting business has exploded and I'll be honest with you speakers don't make me anything like what consulting does.

"So hire someone else!" Been there, done that, doesn't work, its not that simple.  There is nothing that I do making my speakers that is "typical" (Except cutting boards on a table saw.)  Mixing plastics and casting them in molds - this is not something that you find someone on the street doing. Key parts have to be machined on a lathe - anybody can do that!  Not! It takes a lot of training to bring someone on board and I don't have the time for that.  I also don't have the room.  My shop is so small that two people can't work at the same time and I can't make more than a pair or two at a time.  A very slow process.

"So get a bigger place!"  Well that would push my overhead up by about a factor of two and the speaker prices commensurate!!  I am not sure my market can bear that.  You know what kind of permits and OSHA approvals you need to open a shop that spays paint?  Did you know that anyone spraying in such a place has to have a OSHA approved certificate?  The local requirements are excessive and costly (I'm not complaining, compliance is necessary, but I do have to consider the costs if I am to move to a permanent location.)

Bottom line here is that I have three options 1) stop making speakers, or 2) make them at a rate and a cost that is attractive to me, i.e. use them to fill in what "free time" I might have or 3) sell the whole thing and get out from under it.

Option 3) is not up to me, although there might be some interest.  Option 1) is, well, not really necessary as long as there is a viable option 2) - option 2) is what has been and what will continue to be the only one that I can see working for the time being.

I make no oppologies for the long wait times, it tells you something about the product.  Consider that someone who waited from a year ago paid about 50% less then someone would pay today.  Could you get a better better rate on your investment from a bank?

My biggest bottle neck is paint.  I am having a test run as we speak on shopping that out.  If that works then thoughput will jump up quite a bit.  I can only use water based paints because I paint in my home.  In this weather I am lucky if they dry in a week.  At the shop they can use two part paints that dry in an hour or so - big difference.

Again, if you are tired of waiting for your Geddes speakers then just let me known and I will gladly give your money back.  If you think that you can get better speakers elsewhere then by all means go buy them.  I have no interest in doing something that is not in my own best interests.

Then there is the fact that three of my speakers fell off a truck in shipping and got destroyed.  I had to redesign the woofer mounting because this kind of thing does happen.  FED-EX says that you have to be able to withstand a freefall from 36" - thats a big problem to a 30 lb woofer.  I had worries about the initial mounting change and now I can see that my wories were well founded.  The mounting if fine, even excess, for normal use, but a free fall drop from 3 feet!!  Thats something else.  SO blaim Fed-Ex and UPS for much of the price increases and ALL of the shipping and handling increases.

To the guy who sold his "Geddes" speakers - wow thats a first!  I'm curious who you are and when you bought them (your name does not ring a bell) - I have records of all my sales and I'd like to know what you bought.

sts9fan

« Reply #1036 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:17 am »
Meh. There are lots of small speaker companies that seem to do what you say is impossible.  It just seems you do not value these customers as much as your others, which sucks when you drop thousands of dollars.

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #1037 on: 26 Jul 2011, 02:34 am »
Meh. There are lots of small speaker companies that seem to do what you say is impossible.  It just seems you do not value these customers as much as your others, which sucks when you drop thousands of dollars.
I am sorry that you feel that way, but unfortunately it is somewhat true.  Would you turn down an offer for a job at twice what you were currently making because you "valued your customers"?  Come on - if they were actually good customers then they would understand, its only the few who don't.  Do you want your money back?  No problem!

xsb7244

« Reply #1038 on: 26 Jul 2011, 02:45 am »
time for me to put in my 2 cents.  I admire the small businessman.  you succeed or you fail.  for now Gedlee is
following his own business model.  we should respect that.  If he has a deficit will you make up the difference.
we can make suggestions but Gedlee has the right to do what he wants.  If I had the money which I don't I
would buy his speakers in a heart beat and wait 18 months if necessary.  why because GedLee is the best for
the money no BS from him.  There are thousands of speakers out there supports the guys you think are the best for you.  I support Gedlee because in the beginning many many years in the past  made a great speaker
called the summa but nobody cared. not interested. he was so far under the radar.  and now audiophile are
discovering GedLee and buying his speakers.  I support him because he has a PHD, he publish in scientific
journals.  He has a great science background.  I suggest you guys google his resume.  GedLee simply makes
great speakers.  It would be a terrible loss if he decided not to make anymore speakers. for GedLee speakers
are a labor of love.  we need these speakers.  making music come alive is what you do. you cannot give it up.  charge what you think you have to to survive.  If there are long waits that is a good because that means
people want to buy.  one drops out another takes his place.  GedLee please don't stop making speakers.

JohnR

« Reply #1039 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:05 am »
If I had the money which I don't I
would buy his speakers in a heart beat and wait 18 months if necessary.

Just curious - have you heard them?