GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #940 on: 4 May 2011, 01:53 pm »
My original Summas had a piano finish and I had to spray over this because of the strong reflections from my projector.  You cannot have gloss if you have a projector.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #941 on: 4 May 2011, 02:26 pm »
I gotta say that my satin finish which has some texture is great.  It's easy to clean and doesn't scratch easily.  My wife wanted that finish as she was affraid that we would get TV reflections.  She was correct (as always)! 

Also, as mentioned above, I listen in the dark so they're pretty dark anyway.   :P

gchuva

« Reply #942 on: 4 May 2011, 04:00 pm »
I have jl audio fathom subwoofers and I am trying to find speakers to match.  That is why I am asking about gloss.  I like the finish on the fathoms and don't have an issue with my projector

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #943 on: 4 May 2011, 04:16 pm »
I have jl audio fathom subwoofers and I am trying to find speakers to match.  That is why I am asking about gloss.  I like the finish on the fathoms and don't have an issue with my projector

Oh.  Well, in that case just request Gloss from Dr. Geddes and you should be in good shape. 

dguarnaccia

• Will work for imaging
« Reply #944 on: 4 May 2011, 08:21 pm »
The Red ones aren't a piano finish, but they are a gloss finish that  Earl was trying out.  Not mirror smooth, they do have some imperfections. I'm considering having  someone refinish them to a Piano black finish.

Edit:  Just noticed  Earls response. Yes, his desciption is  spot on, there  are some minor imperfections, and he gave me the choice for this new finish and I accepted. Hindsight  being 20/20,I should have  gone with  Black. Even with the Gloss finish, it doesn't interfere with my projector though but I have my Abbeys spaced  pretty widely to the sides of my  screen.

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #945 on: 4 May 2011, 09:38 pm »
If I could offer a suggest - don't do that - don't space your speakers too far apart.  Best is about 10 feet or even a little closer.  Mine are something like 9 feet and should probably try them even closer since there is no lack of seperation at 9 feet.  When spaced this close I do not see how reflections can't be a problem if you use a projector.

dwr

« Reply #946 on: 4 May 2011, 11:22 pm »
Here is a pic of the gloss finish in black. My speakers are 8 feet apart for what it is worth as I don't use a projector, but I have no problem with reflections.

Dan

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #947 on: 4 May 2011, 11:53 pm »
Nice stands, but for future reference, it would be best if the stand did not stick out past the radius on the lower edges of the cabinet.  Maybe move your speaker forward. 

Note, there are various sizes of foam plugs - these are the largest.  No obvious measureable differences in performance (by that I mean that no two speakers are identical and the foam size makes less of a difference than the individual variance).  I made the last batch smaller, but slightly too small (see the front page of my website).  I will end up somewhere in the middle.  This is all just trying to find what looks best.  Votes?

dwr

« Reply #948 on: 5 May 2011, 12:04 am »
Good eye Earl!!...Thats an older picture, the speakers now extend past the edge of the stand by about 1 inch so the radius is past the plane of the front of the stand.

Dan

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #949 on: 5 May 2011, 12:34 am »
Note, there are various sizes of foam plugs - these are the largest.  No obvious measureable differences in performance (by that I mean that no two speakers are identical and the foam size makes less of a difference than the individual variance).  I made the last batch smaller, but slightly too small (see the front page of my website).  I will end up somewhere in the middle.  This is all just trying to find what looks best.  Votes?

I'm with you, somewhere in between dwr's and the pic on your web site.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #950 on: 5 May 2011, 12:54 am »
At first when I saw the Abbeys I thought that a grill would look good.  After living with them, I like 'em how they are.   :thumb:

I still can't get that darn woofer to move though.   :duh:    :lol:

dguarnaccia

• Will work for imaging
« Reply #951 on: 5 May 2011, 02:09 am »
If I could offer a suggest - don't do that - don't space your speakers too far apart.  Best is about 10 feet or even a little closer.  Mine are something like 9 feet and should probably try them even closer since there is no lack of seperation at 9 feet.  When spaced this close I do not see how reflections can't be a problem if you use a projector.

I've tried them a few ways now, and the image seemed best this wide but I can try it again. I sit fairly far back at around 12 feet from the front wall,  and tried  to create an equalateral triangle, with the  Abbeys toed in at 45 degrees so they'd cross 2 feet in front of me. Wouldn't bringing  them in closer have them crossing in front  of my around 4 feet in front?

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #952 on: 5 May 2011, 02:27 am »
I've tried them a few ways now, and the image seemed best this wide but I can try it again. I sit fairly far back at around 12 feet from the front wall,  and tried  to create an equalateral triangle, with the  Abbeys toed in at 45 degrees so they'd cross 2 feet in front of me. Wouldn't bringing  them in closer have them crossing in front  of my around 4 feet in front?

That is about the way I have mine set up as well (12' triangle), but the axes end up crossing ~4 ft in front of the listening position. They are set up against the long wall of the room so there is plenty of space to either side. I didn't experiment much with the setup - I just liked the wide soundstage.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #953 on: 5 May 2011, 02:37 am »
My setup:

102" from the center to center of the waveguide  Cross at ~112" in front of listener.

Dr. Geddes recommends a cross of 48" in front of the listener but I found 30" to be best for me and my room.

This is something that I tried many times and of course measured every change.

gchuva

« Reply #954 on: 5 May 2011, 08:40 am »
Does the woofer have a foam cover or is that just for the top part of the speaker?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #955 on: 5 May 2011, 09:33 am »
Does the woofer have a foam cover or is that just for the top part of the speaker?

Just the top.  Remember that the foam isn't there just for show...it's patented for your benefit!   :D

http://www.google.com/patents?id=8EiaAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false
« Last Edit: 5 May 2011, 11:01 am by jtwrace »

dguarnaccia

• Will work for imaging
« Reply #956 on: 5 May 2011, 10:10 pm »

No, but Earl can stretch AT fabric across the woofer if you prefer. That's what he did on mine.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #957 on: 5 May 2011, 11:27 pm »
No, but Earl can stretch AT fabric across the woofer if you prefer. That's what he did on mine.

Pics please.   :thumb:

dguarnaccia

• Will work for imaging
« Reply #958 on: 5 May 2011, 11:46 pm »
Pics please.   :thumb:

See previous page, mine are the red ones

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #959 on: 5 May 2011, 11:48 pm »