Nimbus

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Nimbus
« Reply #80 on: 12 Jul 2013, 03:21 pm »
Another piece of info about the Nimbus ...

I've had this conversation with a couple people now, the Nimbus is both very sensitive AND can handle a ton of power.  Some that I've spoke with didn't realize it's power handling capability, but the Nimbus can do 125db ... seriously. 

If you want a combo Home Theater/2-channel room, or have a very large listening area ... or just like peeling paint off the walls and do so without a hint of distortion, the Nimbus is perfect.  It's somewhat unique in that it's as adept in a dedicated 2-channel setup as it is in a Theater setup. 

And yes, we can build a matching center channel! 

roscoeiii

« Reply #81 on: 12 Jul 2013, 03:33 pm »
Man, I need to hear this speaker. Maybe 2 of them.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #82 on: 12 Jul 2013, 03:37 pm »
Man, I need to hear this speaker. Maybe 2 of them.

Yes, they are better in pairs  :wink:

Don_S

« Reply #83 on: 12 Jul 2013, 04:58 pm »
Any plans for baby brothers? Say 10" or 12" woofers?

The Nimbus physical specs are a bit intimidating. I can deal with big SS amps.  :thumb:

Weight: ~250lbs
Dimensions: 53" H (from floor to peak) x 17.5" W (at the woofer center) x 26" D (including rear wall curve)
Recommended amps include everything from low powered SETs to 1000W + Solid State amps.

pawsman

« Reply #84 on: 12 Jul 2013, 09:36 pm »
I've been following the introduction of the Nimbus; though I've never heard it, I'd love to. It reminds me a bit
of the John Otvos Original Mach 7 Waveform, a Pyramid with an MTM configuration and a massive 15" woofer (though the Waveform
 had a dome in the middle and a ribbon on top). It was designed by Paul Barton, I believe.
With high sensitivity and very high output capability, the Nimbus looks like a problem solver.

pawsman

Russell Dawkins

OT re: John Otvos
« Reply #85 on: 12 Jul 2013, 11:08 pm »
This is what John Otvos is doing these days: http://greenerbuilding.ca/

bummrush

« Reply #86 on: 12 Jul 2013, 11:21 pm »
Hempcrete

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #87 on: 12 Jul 2013, 11:56 pm »
Any plans for baby brothers? Say 10" or 12" woofers?

The Nimbus physical specs are a bit intimidating. I can deal with big SS amps.  :thumb:

Weight: ~250lbs
Dimensions: 53" H (from floor to peak) x 17.5" W (at the woofer center) x 26" D (including rear wall curve)
Recommended amps include everything from low powered SETs to 1000W + Solid State amps.

No plans as yet.  The thing is you need the 15" woofer and 6+ cu/ft of cabinet space to get bass extension and sensitivity.  If we made a smaller version we'd have to give up one of those things up, there's no free lunch.  I suppose we could just lie about our specs like most other manufacturers do  :lol:

But honestly, we're trying to create things that are somewhat unique in the sea of offerings.  The Nimbus is certainly that because it gives you everything for a reasonable price.  If we were to take away bass extension and/or sensitivity, it wouldn't be as compelling.  Size is the only down-side, not visually as in room they are quite svelte, but physical heft.  Once they're in place however, you don't need to worry about moving for a long long time!  And they're as heavy as they are because we don't mess around with construction, a more 'typical' construction and they'd be 120-140 pounds. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #88 on: 13 Jul 2013, 12:02 am »
I suppose we could just lie about our specs like most other manufacturers do  :lol:
Yep.  You didn't know that's an industry standard?   :duh:

I do look forward to your full set of measurements though as discussed in another thread at some point.  It may have been this one.   :scratch:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #89 on: 13 Jul 2013, 05:04 pm »
Yep.  You didn't know that's an industry standard?   :duh:

Yes, unfortunately I did.  I have that conversation with customers every day it seems, what's possible and what isn't in terms of specs.

I do look forward to your full set of measurements though as discussed in another thread at some point.  It may have been this one.   :scratch:

I have plenty of measurements obviously, there's a basic on-axis FR on the website.  The vast majority of customers don't seem to care about measurements however, and honestly it confuses some. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #90 on: 13 Jul 2013, 07:53 pm »
Yes, unfortunately I did.  I have that conversation with customers every day it seems, what's possible and what isn't in terms of specs.
I can only imagine...

I have plenty of measurements obviously, there's a basic on-axis FR on the website. 
Sure.  Polar plots?

The vast majority of customers don't seem to care about measurements however, and honestly it confuses some.

I have no doubt.  These are the same people that refuse to measure in their own home for the optimum setup but read on this forum and others that binding posts, caps and other widgets yield the biggest result.  It's an absolute shame that most audiophiles or music lovers or whatever they want to call themselves rely on rubbish rather than science.

roscoeiii

« Reply #91 on: 24 Aug 2013, 03:54 pm »
Can't get the Nimbus out of my head. You mentioned their ability to fill a large room, but what about smaller spaces? What kind of listening distance is needed? How close to the rear wall can they be? What would be the smallest room size you'd recommend for these?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #92 on: 24 Aug 2013, 04:38 pm »
Can't get the Nimbus out of my head. You mentioned their ability to fill a large room, but what about smaller spaces? What kind of listening distance is needed? How close to the rear wall can they be? What would be the smallest room size you'd recommend for these?

Hey bud, the room at Newport Beach was 16'x11'.  That's pretty small, and we received numerous Best of Show mentions, including John Atkinson.  Sonically they work well in small rooms, it's more of a physical dimensions being able to work in the small room or not. 

I'd say 8' listening distance, and due to the overall depth of the speaker you can put them close to the back wall and still have the drivers 2'+ from the boundary.  Smaller rooms will have their bass nodes in the 60-80hz range, and the bass is so well controlled through that range on the Nimbus that it'll likely work better than most smaller speakers which intentionally have bumps in the 60-80hz range to give the impression of more bass. 

Hop in your car, you could be here by dinnertime :)  We'll fire up the grill and do some listening this evening. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #93 on: 24 Aug 2013, 06:38 pm »
Oh I scheming a visit.