Opinions Sought on inductor type

JCarney

Opinions Sought on inductor type
« on: 26 Oct 2022, 02:45 am »
I've been looking at inductors for my ML Scenarios, and found Litz inductors by Solen. It looks like a smaller gauge wire braided to achieve whatever awg they are after for the winding. I've also been looking at copper foil inductors, and found Jantzen that offer copper foil wax coil. So I guess I have two questions, first, does the wax add any benefit over no wax, and is copper foil superior to Litz?

Thanks for any and all assistance,
JCarney

Folsom

Re: Opinions Sought on inductor type
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2022, 07:00 am »
If it's an existing crossover you need to match the DCR and inductance. A lot of people prefer air core but the other two things must match.

JCarney

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2022, 08:49 am »
Thanks for the reply Folsom. I did not know about matching DCR and inductance. The current inductors are air core, and Erse I believe. I say Erse because there are rather large value electrolytics that are from Erse. I don't know how to measure for DCR and inductance, so maybe I just leave the inductors alone.

Thanks,
JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2022, 08:39 pm »
Is matching the DCR and inductance for the drivers involved, or is there another reason? The crossover uses different resistors then I am accustomed to seeing, pic included. They are 1ohm 20 watt buggers. Do I need to use another 20 watt resistor, or will a 12 watt Mills for instance work and not cause problems? Thanks.
JCarney

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2022, 09:15 pm »
Inductance is the value of what an inductor does. If you don't match it you'll turn the speaker into a joke. The DCR is the base resistance that 100% of frequencies see (the inductance changes the impedance based on frequency but it's impedance+DCR always). Think of it like this, the DCR is a resistor in series with the inductance but it's all the same part. If your current inductor has .5 DCR and you move to a .1 DCR then you need a .4 resistor inline with it or you'll have changed the volume for part of the crossover.

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2022, 09:47 pm »
Thank You Folsom, I understand a little better now. I've decided to not change the inductors and just replace the caps and resistors. Replacing the inductors and what is involved may be above my pay grade. :lol: I've also decided to make the xover outboard so I can accommodate the new larger parts and arrange the inductors so they do not interact with each other.

JCarney