First Speaker System

mcgsxr

First Speaker System
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2004, 12:16 pm »
That is the Teac that I mentioned, but you would need a preamp to use it, since it is just a power amp.  I have a cheap passive pre for sale (but don't want to push that as a solution) that would work great (it does work great as a combo here for me).

I think you mean an integrated vs a receiver vs an amp.

Amp - just power, no control of volume, needs preamp for connectivity and volume control.
Integrated - 2 chanel amp and preamp, all in one chassis
Receiver - several power amps, a preamp, usually a tuner, and sometimes HT processing all in one chassis

You have MANY options for an affordable system, and could go off in any direction above and end up happy - you are going to have to read some, but more importantly get out and listen lots, so that you will know which of the options is right for YOU.

Good luck, ask questions, and get out and LISTEN!

Tonto Yoder

First Speaker System
« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2004, 01:22 pm »
Another alternative would be powered or active speakers--there's a used pair of Mackies on eBay that would be in your price range:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32861&item=5734155202&rd=1

They're  intended for professional use but could serve in a home setting as well; still would need a preamp to control volume.