First Speaker System

zachary80

First Speaker System
« on: 23 Nov 2004, 11:54 pm »
I have been into headphone stuff a lot lately, mainly because of the price/performance. Well I am beginning to think about starting a speaker system since I like my headphones.

Here is what I use now:
Speakers = Klipsch ProMedia 4.1

Headphones =
Sony CDP-C365 -> Pimeta -> Sennheiser hd580
I am planning on buying a Channel Islands VDA-1 DAC tomorrow and maybe getting some new cables and upgrading to a PPA eventually.

So since I will already have a good (by my standards) source, I figure I could add a speaker system. I mainly listen to Rock (from Pink Floyd to Metallica), followed by Jazz then Classical. I am thinking $600 or less for whatever I would need to add a speaker rig (2.0 or 2.1).

What should I do?

Marbles

First Speaker System
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2004, 11:58 pm »
I am from Indiana too.  

Depending on what city or town you live in, and how big a room/how much bass you need, I can give you some places to demo different speakers.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: First Speaker System
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2004, 12:21 am »
Quote from: zachary80
I have been into headphone stuff a lot lately, mainly because of the price/performance. Well I am beginning to think about starting a speaker system since I like my headphones.

Here is what I use now:
Speakers = Klipsch ProMedia 4.1

Headphones =
Sony CDP-C365 -> Pimeta -> Sennheiser hd580
I am planning on buying a Channel Islands VDA-1 DAC tomorrow and maybe getting some new cables and upgrading to a PPA eventually.

So since I will already have a good (by my standards) source, I figure I ...

I think step one is to go out and here some different speakers from say $500-1500.  Try to get an idea of what you like and dislike.  While you are doing this, think about if you like or want to go with monitors (don't forget to factor in the cost of stands) or a floorstanding speaker.

Would you be buying new or used?

Out of your music preference, can you assign weights to each genre?

What is the size of your room?

How loud would you play the music?

There is much more, but this a good starting point...

I will be happy to help you out in anyway possible as you start this journey.

George

zachary80

First Speaker System
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2004, 02:51 am »
I am in Fort Wayne, Indiana. One place I could go to try out speakers that is close (5-10 minutes) is Sweetwater, but I have no idea how to even begin.

I like the hd580's bass, but just a little more would be perfect.

I like the idea of floorstanding speakers, but I don't have the rooms to accomodate them. So the answer is monitors.

I would prefer new, just because I don't have much online feedback and am always weary about the true condition. Plus new has warranty and other factors.

It is hard to say, because my music preferences still change a lot. I started with mostly jazz, but now mostly rock. I find I also enjoy certain music types more on my computer speakers than my headphones and vise-versa. For example I like soundstage but it is something I have never heard very well from speakers. So no, I can not really assign a ratio because I am ever changing.

I am in a relatively small room, maybe 12x14. Room size will change, but they will all be small (bedroom sized).

I think I listen to music quieter than most, but I don't have a way of standardized measuring so I do not know how loud. I have never had a problem with something not being loud enough.

Are all monitors self-amped? Is this better than getting an amp and speakers?

post #1500 for the subsection

audiogansta

First Speaker System
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2004, 07:16 pm »
hay im from ft wayne also.i think sweetwater is more of a concert or pa type seller. if ya check there web site most of there gear is for that applacation. you might want to go to classic stereo or the new place in town called ovation.

scott

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
First Speaker System
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2004, 07:45 pm »
Quote from: audiogansta
hay im from ft wayne also.i think sweetwater is more of a concert or pa type seller. if ya check there web site most of there gear is for that applacation. you might want to go to classic stereo or the new place in town called ovation.

scott

Born in Ft. Wayne but I moved away many years ago  :D  
It's good to hear that Classic Stereo has some competition now.

Rick

Marbles

First Speaker System
« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:05 pm »
As luck would have it I'm also in Fort Wayne.

Zach, check your PM's.

jackman

First Speaker System
« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:14 pm »
Hey, you beat me to it! I was going to suggest speaking to Marbles.  He has a lot of experience with everything from entry level to really expensive high end gear.  

I noticed Indiana on your moniker and was going to suggest paying a visit to BESL, Phil Bamburg in Indianapolis.  WWW.Bamburglab.com.  I'm a big fan of Phil's work and BESL speakers.  At the moment, I could not name a better sounding speaker.  The BESL website is very informative.  The Series 2 MTM's are an amazing value for $1185.  That's where I'd start if I was looking to get into high end audio.

Good luck!  We look forward to hearing your comments.

J

Marbles

First Speaker System
« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:14 pm »
Zachary, you are going to need:

at the least, a receiver, which has both an amp, and pre-amp section, and better speakers.

I would get monitors and later add a subwoofer as funds become available.

Anybody know of decent inexpensive receivers for Zach?

jackman

First Speaker System
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:19 pm »
I like the little Panasonic XR45 that I picked up a couple months ago for about $300.  The new one is out, the SR70.  For the money, these are pretty hard to beat.

J

Figo

First Speaker System
« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:22 pm »
vintage receivers sound great and can be had ultra-cheap if you care to search.

I have an old fisher 295 I got for free and it sound 10x better than mass market sony/technics/whatever ones.

then I would say add a pair of axiom m3ti and you're set.

mcgsxr

First Speaker System
« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:25 pm »
I just recently bought one of the 5 channel JVC ES-1, digital receiver, and it is good.  For the $$, it is silly good - I have not heard the Panny, but feel no need, based on how the JVC sounds.

The 6 channel F-10 is $249 shipped from J&R online...

Or you could pick up a Teac Tripath amp for $99, and my PS Audio Pre for $75...

audiogansta

First Speaker System
« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:54 pm »
i have a pioneer sx-780 and it can be had on ebay for little money and it can quit a few speakers with ease.

scott

bubba966

First Speaker System
« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:55 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Anybody know of decent inexpensive receivers for Zach?

This is a damn nice unit http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11007280&whse=&topnav=&cat=3840&hierPath=79*3840*

Sounds great, plenty of features & connectibility. And the automatic MCACC (multi-channel acoustic calibration) is great.

audiogansta

First Speaker System
« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:58 pm »
Quote from: audiogansta
i have a pioneer sx-780 and it can be had on ebay for little money and it can drive quit a few speakers with ease.

scott

audiogansta

First Speaker System
« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:59 pm »
opps :oops:

Marbles

First Speaker System
« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2004, 09:06 pm »
Quote from: Figo
vintage receivers sound great and can be had ultra-cheap if you care to search.

I have an old fisher 295 I got for free and it sound 10x better than mass market sony/technics/whatever ones.

then I would say add a pair of axiom m3ti and you're set.

Figo, I was going to recommend some vintage receivers (I have a few Sansui's and Onkyo's), but they almost never had subwoofer outs.

Since he likes to rock out, sooner or later he would need a subwoofer.

LordCloud

First Speaker System
« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2004, 09:57 pm »
I would suggest a speaker that plays music well first before you start worryinh about what genre of music a speaker does best. You'll find that good speakers play all types of music well. I personally have a pair of Meadowlark Swifts that I think are very good, and I know they make a stand mount as well. Magnepan also makes the MMG for under $600 that's supposed to be great as well. I would actually look at Audiogon for a pair of used speakers even though you said you are a little hesitant about going that route.

zachary80

First Speaker System
« Reply #18 on: 25 Nov 2004, 03:56 am »
I am looking to spend $600 or less for the speakers and amp/receiver.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to get a amplifier instead of a reciever? Also I only need one that supports 2.1

edit:

Is the Teac mentioned the  A-L700P?

Marbles

First Speaker System
« Reply #19 on: 25 Nov 2004, 04:29 am »
Quote from: zachary80
I am looking to spend $600 or less for the speakers and amp/receiver.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to get a amplifier instead of a reciever? Also I only need one that supports 2.1

If you only get an amp, how would you control the volume?