Seas Thor Kit with AKSA 55N+

a.gerner

• http://www.antongerner.com.au
« on: 31 May 2005, 08:02 am »
Hi Everyone,
I've been looking for a speaker kit to make to go with my AKSA 55N+ for some time now.  I am wondering if anyone has made the Seas Thor kit and used this with a AKSA 55 N+ ??  And what do you think?

I used to have a pair of Dynaaudio Aries speakers that I made and I am looking for something similar to these.  Any other kits I should look at?

Rocket

« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2005, 10:09 am »
Hi,

You could have a look at hugh's aksonics which were designed to compliment the aksa amplifiers.

Alternatively, another aksa owner and i are in the process of building the phenomenal 1/2 speaker kit from zalytron.

Regards

Rod

aurelius

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2005, 10:30 am »
Hi & welcome,

No experience with the Thors, but I have considered making a pair for my younger brother.  If you do go ahead, please keep us informed.

You might try this http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=17270 thread...

Regards

Mark

Builder Brad

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2005, 11:19 am »
Hello A.gerner

What sort of budget are you working with? in terms of finances and time. Are you looking for a system that can be upgraded in the future.

Brad

a.gerner

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2005, 11:52 am »
Brad,

The budget is not really set, but i guess about US $1000 - $ 1500.
Timing - well I'd like to get going on this soon.  Building the boxes is not a problem for me as I make furniture, so if I need to upgrade later I can always make new boxes easily.

econ

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2005, 12:15 pm »
Built so far:

Lyn Olson Ariels    All up cost  $900 incl xovers

Aksonics v1 and v2  drivers and xover  $750

Fostex  206 $ 650  no xover

In the pipeline Linkwitz Orions   Plans from Linkwitz
and Xovers
 ( parts from digikey)  total  $600
Drivers  $2400   xovers finished  & by the end of June  the
cabinets. Needs 6 channels of  Aksa.

Pricesquoted are  in oz dollars

Not withstanding what the orions might sound like
 In order of listening pleasure driven with AKSA 55W Nirvana

Aksonic 2
Aksonic 1
daylight
fostex
lots of daylight
ariels

The Thors from my reading of the madisound, audioasylum forums has had
a mixed reception  . Look for Brian GT website he built some 2 years or so ago.
Audioexpress published two lengthy articles  on Thor around 2003.

None of this answers  your question

Are you the A Gerner of unique, beautiful furniture building fame?

http://www.briangt.com/gallery/audio

Cheers

Builder Brad

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2005, 07:22 pm »
a gerner.

I have already built a pair of Linkwitz Orions and would recomend them to anyone looking to build the "ultimate" speaker. The are a little bit fussy about placement, requiring at least a couple of feet to the rear and sides to sound best, although mine still sound great even pushed right back and into the corners of the room. I think the speakers your are thinking about require a similar amount of "breathing" space.

the only problem I can see with your plans would be that you only have one AKSA stereo amp. The Orions are an active design requiring at least three stereo power amps, four being the optimum. Fancy building a couple more AKSAs?

I am currently using two Mission/Cyrus "powers" for the tweeters and mid range drivers and 6 x 300watt BK electics OMP300 monoblocks. I had always wanted to unpgade one or both of the missions to "valve" power but was put off by the extra work needed to keep the valve power amps in perfect running order. I have heard so many rave reviews about the AKSA power amps and their valve like performance i have decided to try an AKSA25+N and 55+ on the tweeters and mids for starters with a GK-1R valve pre to replace my Denon AV processor/pre. the kits should arive any day soon.

Eventually if i am happy with the results on the mids and tweeters I will probably build another pair of AKSA100s for the woofers.

Brad

a.gerner

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2005, 08:45 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.

econ, yes I am the famour furniture maker Anton Gerner.
You can see me work at www.antongerner.com.au

I've been meaning to join this forum for some time, as I kept promising Hugh.
That reminds me I must take some pics of my amp and post them too.

Any more feedback specifically on the THOR?

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2005, 11:34 pm »
Hi,

I don't have any experience with those speakers or even their drivers.  Considering they are a kit speaker and you have to import them from the states i don't think many people will have built them.

As i've already mentioned Jules and I are building the phenomenal 1/2 speaker kit which is designed by orca and we both bought them from zalytron.

I heard a similiar design using the same tweeter/drivers and i know that i will like the sound and it isn't that much of a leap of faith.

I would like to ask you one question regarding cabinet finishing.  How do i get a nice piano black finish?  It has been recommended i take my cabinets to a panelbeater for painting.  How do i get a black lacquer finish?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Rod

AKSA

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2005, 11:54 pm »
Folks,

This is quite a discussion.  I'm taken aback by the creative minds here;  Anton, a charming, personable man, is a brilliant furniture designer with wonderful design ability and stunning craftsman skills.  If I had a spare $US20K I'd go berserk in his shop, ordering up a storm.  It is truly distinctive, utterly original furniture, and proof positive that the environment in which we live has profound influence on our thinking and well being.  I love visiting his shop and running my hands over his award winning furniture.......

An irony is that Anton Gerner and Ben Williams actually went to school together!!

Paul,

I think the time is coming when you should visit the deep south to partake of the interesting creative environment which is Melbourne.  It would be my pleasure to guide you around.

Your comments about the other speakers are very interesting.  Ben has a Phoenix, very similar to the Orion.  It is stunning, but, as many here know, I have misgivings about analog active filters, and Ben is always negotiating some hum or other niggling problem with his.  We are agreed that perhaps the best solution would be a DSP-based active filter, and this is something we are thinking about almost every time we discuss design.

Rod,

You'd love Jules, another charming, reserved man  (Hi Jules!).  He came to Melbourne recently, and showed me his masterpiece AKSA 55 case.  It was extraordinary, the work of true dedication, with laser cut, ornate stainless steel base and voluptuous Huon Pine timber work, beautifully molded to almost a sculptural shape.  Jules is also supremely creative;  he was the gourmet chef in one of Melbourne's landmark restaurants - Miettas - many years ago.  He drives a WRX Subaru, one of my favorite motor vehicles, so I crawled all over it, marvelling at the beautiful engineering.  I couldn't help thinking that Subaru have done a lot more with considerably less when I compare it to Australian muscle cars......

Cheers,

Hugh

netaron

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2005, 01:22 am »
Hi A.gerner,

I have a pair of speakers very similar to the Thor, they are actually very much like the Odin MKIII's, mine uses different tweeters and different cross points, but the same woofers in parallel, and the AKSA 55N+ makes them sing beautifully. If your question is about low impedance, then I have had no problems so far, if it's about the sound, well that one is subjective.

Haron

stvnharr

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2005, 04:05 am »
Hello A. Gerner,
Like netaron I have speakers similar to Thor/Odin MkIII.  I use them with a N+ amp and it's all a very nice sounding system.  The Thor, being floorstanding transmission line design will give excellent sound and good bass response.  The Seas Excel W18 drivers don't go exceptionally low, no matter what, so don't expect the lowest octave down to 20hz.
I think the Thor and Aksa make an excellent match.  I think you would be quite pleased with them.

Steve

a.gerner

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2005, 07:33 am »
Hugh,
Thanks for those many kind words!!!
I know you do indeed love to visit my shop and more so my workshop!!

Now the Aksonics - tell me about them...  
Why are they so good and how were they developed?

or should I just come out to visit you for a listen?

econ

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2005, 10:31 am »
Practically, easy to build , xover  supplied and tuned to mate with aksa.
drivers available from wes in Sydney. Thor drivers are available in melbourne from acoustic concepts.

One  unique feature of the aksonics is the adjustable back panel of the case .
This is invaluable when tuning it to the room your system is situated in .
Its not a gimmick .. This adjustment seems to make most difference to the mids and lows.  I doubt at 4 times the price the linkwitz will be 4x better than the aksonics. But hey aksa amps being the best component in my system
has set me on a quest  to improve the other bits.

Nothing will beat an audition in your own living room if that can be organised.

AKSA

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2005, 12:23 pm »
Thanks Paul!

Anton, I offer you my AKSonics to audition at your leisure......

Pick up at AKSA Shaque, not far from you.......!!

Cheers,

Hugh