Digital cable termination question

serengetiplains

Digital cable termination question
« on: 5 May 2009, 02:28 pm »
Steve, I was thinking about XLR digital cable termination and have a question.  Take a properly designed digital cable.  Inside the cable jacket, the cable is designed to be, and is, 110ohm characteristic impedance.  That impedance results from the cable geometry (strand A at whatever distance from strand B with X dielectric etc).  To terminate this cable, one must separate the cable strands then solder them into the connector (here XLR).  Doesn't separating the strands change the characteristic impedance, therefore creating a source of reflections?  Can this problem be avoided?

Tom

audioengr

Re: Digital cable termination question
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2009, 08:13 pm »
Steve, I was thinking about XLR digital cable termination and have a question.  Take a properly designed digital cable.  Inside the cable jacket, the cable is designed to be, and is, 110ohm characteristic impedance.  That impedance results from the cable geometry (strand A at whatever distance from strand B with X dielectric etc).  To terminate this cable, one must separate the cable strands then solder them into the connector (here XLR).  Doesn't separating the strands change the characteristic impedance, therefore creating a source of reflections?  Can this problem be avoided?

Tom

Sure, there will always be small discontinuities there.  There is XLR connector that purportedly minimizes this, but nothing like the crimp termination you can get with a BNC for instance.

I cant remember the make, it's not Canare or Cardas.  I would just use Neutrik.

Steve N.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2009, 08:32 pm »
Tom:
Look at the Neutrik NC3FXCC.
Chris H.

serengetiplains

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2009, 09:10 pm »
Thx guys.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2009, 09:55 pm »
Tom:
Look at the Neutrik NC3FXCC.
Chris H.

does not say anything in the specs about impedance control, but the shielding is better I guess...

Steve N.