Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?

GHM

Re: Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #100 on: 5 Oct 2006, 09:29 pm »
I normally have the best luck through audiogon. He has two listing on the site. Email him from there. I'm thinking he is flooded with orders right now. It hasn't been easy to get him the last couple of weeks.

gme109

Re: Any comaparisons to a "traditional" passive pre?
« Reply #101 on: 5 Oct 2006, 10:39 pm »

[/quote]

"There was a time I thought if I go directly from the source to the amplifiers I would get the most transparent sound..that idea is long dead. What I got was musical but fatigue in some cases. The top end would have that over shoot. You know ...for example when a guitarist is strumming the strings and at some point it gets sharp and almost painful. That doesn't exist with this preamp in the chain."

Hi GHM,

I'm currently running an Accuphase 65v directly into a pair of CIA D200's. The 65v has a very good digital volume control, which sounds better than most preamps that I've tried. But now I'm wondering if this passive might make things sound better than going direct. I know what you're saying about over shoot. Things can get a little too sharp at times. What source were you driving your amps with when going direct?

Thanks

GHM

« Reply #102 on: 5 Oct 2006, 11:59 pm »
Hi GME109,
 I was using the Quad 99 CDP. I also used the Quad as a digital preamp with a Meridian Dac. I used the Music Reference RM9 MK2 120 wpc tube amplifier with this combo.
It sounded great except for the highs that could rip ears off!! :lol:

You seem like a good candidate for the TVC from your description.

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #103 on: 6 Oct 2006, 12:44 am »
hI every one was busy rapping up my day job

anyway it seems things are looking up for us,
check out this postings
http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13934

Also guy what do you think of this new switch i have source and plan to use.
Its a miniature military grayhill switch . Why miniature is because more metals parts tend to bog down the sound. When it small it preserve the sound well without adding is own color to the sound

Grayhills cost a bomb, this units are sold for USD25 each . What do you guys think about this?
I plan to start using them in the near future. 

Also what do you guys think about making the TVCs with less inputs like 2 inputs? I think it is better don't you think so ? COnsidering you do not have to buy shorting plugs.

mike did you email me? did not see any from you yet? can you resend

coming back to the interconnects
Actually the silver is a great  when long lengths are used. More than 1 m. If it is a short wire like 1m it can sound bad. Hence why we recommend 1.5meters. Actually my friends actually uses of the same cable at 2.5meters as interconnects. Orginally i help him to make it long for his subwoofer. In the end after he tried it again his other silver cable he has used it as his main interconnect and i am helping him to make another cable for his subwoofer.

The silvers are good because it’s a transparent unit and natural at the same time. Also it preserves the essence of the sound.

Actually our silver interconnect are in all honest opinion decent looking (does not look like a killer cable) but it is a really good bargain in sound. That what we are trying to accomplish with our products.

The silver interconnects are marketed purely as a added on service as we do not make much money doing it as you can see from the price

Will upload the silver interconnects soon. Cables are good but perhaps with some tips here and there we can make it better

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #104 on: 6 Oct 2006, 12:56 am »
Nick,

I like the 2 inputs idea.  That's definitely all I would *ever* need.  You can make my metal-cased version with 2 inputs.

Speaking of that, how's it coming?  aa

GHM

« Reply #105 on: 6 Oct 2006, 01:07 am »
That's terrific Nick...I love seeing even the doubters coming around. I for one have grown tired of people judging equipment strictly on the price! I should have the Bent unit here on Saturday. I'll also do some comparing to see if there's much of a difference. Although this is the second owner I've found to compare S&B and the Promitheus giving the same answers.

I said this before ..I'll say it again..this has got to be one of the best buys in audio period!! For the people like me not willing to spend $2500 to $3000 for a TVC..it is god sent.

Those volume controls look great!! Keep up the good work!

NewBuyer

Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #106 on: 6 Oct 2006, 01:35 am »
...what do you think of this new switch i have source and plan to use. Its a miniature military grayhill switch . Why miniature is because more metals parts tend to bog down the sound. When it small it preserve the sound well without adding is own color to the sound...What do you guys think about this?... Also what do you guys think about making the TVCs with less inputs like 2 inputs? I think it is better don't you think so ? COnsidering you do not have to buy shorting plugs...

Interesting! Have you yet tested the mini grayhill in a TVC, and did it significantly change the sound? In what way did it change? Do you recommend using shorting plugs with the TVC, and why?

ryno

« Reply #107 on: 6 Oct 2006, 04:16 am »
Hi Nick,
I'd take mine with one input and no switch.
All I've ever had in my main system is a single source.
If that's an option, let me know, mine probably hasn't been shipped yet.
Looking forward to hearing the TVC, Ryan

EDIT: maybe a single input would be bad if I ever wanted to resell.
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2006, 11:33 am by ryno »

GHM

« Reply #108 on: 6 Oct 2006, 11:57 am »
Hey Ryan I was thinking the very same thing about you having one input. Although I doubt you'll sell this piece. It is so inexpensive and defies logic..you'll keep it just to have a good no frills TVC around when evaluating gear or when the mood strikes for a change.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #109 on: 6 Oct 2006, 03:24 pm »
Wow, this thread isn't quite "Gravity Well of a Darkstar" length, but it has legs.

I wanted to post a folllow up to my broken wire issue and a few other things (work has been interfering with my hobby lately 8)). Nick was able to identify the correct location of the broken solder joint for me to re-attach in the photo, so last weekend I slung the solder myself and got it fixed. Problem solved. I don't know how much of my original hum problem was due to the broken wire, since I left in the TVC in the new location that solved the problem, but between the new location, fixing the wire, adding the shorting plugs, and shielding the Paradisea's transformer with ERS, the TVC is now dead quiet.

I recently added a phono preamp, the Grado PH-1, to the system and I'm getting great analogue sound through this system. One caveat though - I have to use the high gain setting even with my Grado MM cartridge to get enough volume from the system. I obviously can't generalize to all phono preamps, but be careful that your phono section has plenty of gain before trying to match it with the TVC (or probably any passive preamp for that matter). I was a little surprised by this, since my Paradisea DAC cranks through the TVC. No harm done though: the PH-1 sounds great using the high gain setting.

GHM

« Reply #110 on: 6 Oct 2006, 05:44 pm »
Hi Greg..what's the gain of your phono preamp? I was just asking Nick about this a few days ago. I wondered how the Promitheus would fit in with a TVC phono amp. He said the Gain of his phono preamps are 62,64,68 db .

Where did you buy the ERS for the Paradisea's transformer? I'm hoping to try one of these dacs in the near future. I'm trying to decide what to buy first.The Dac or buying a tube amplifier as a second amp for my little system.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #111 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:00 pm »
The PH-1 has two settings - 40dB and 56dB. I rechecked the specs, and my cartridge , a Grado MCZ, is right at the line between the recommended gain settings at 1.5 mv. Since the TVC has no gain of it's own the higher gain setting is needed. It works just fine. Sounds like Nicks phono stage should be fine unless you get into low output MC's. I bet Nick would have good giudelines since he is a vinyl guy.

The Stillpoints ERS is available from Tweekgeek.  I bought the sheet and made a couple of little boxes out of it using electrical tape.

http://www.tweekgeek.com/m_dept.asp?dept_id=03-003&mfg_id=1106666166

What tube amp are you looking at?

GHM

« Reply #112 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:04 pm »
Hello My friend . Thanks for the info :thumb:. Well I'm pretty open to suggestions. The better the bang for the buck the better for the wallet.

I was checking out the Music Reference RM10. I thought about trying one, then maybe just maybe in the future I could add a second and use them as mono blocks. You have any suggestions? Any input on it is most appreciated!!

Oh yeah..I need at least 40 wpc. Below $1000 would be best.
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2006, 06:28 pm by GHM »

Bwanagreg

« Reply #113 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:48 pm »
I'm a bit out of touch on tube amps, but I've heard only good things about Rogers amps. I'm thinking about trying his little single ended amp, someday. You might want to contact the guy that makes these amps as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&item=290029683250&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I don't have any experience but another posting here recommended his work highly. I'm using my trusty AMC2030s (30 watts with EL-34 tubes ) in the TVC system and I'm quite happy, but as soon as my little battery powered Tripath gets freed up it's going into the TVC system. It blows the AMC away, even with its puny power rating or 10 watts a side.

GHM

« Reply #114 on: 6 Oct 2006, 08:28 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Greg. I'll shoot him an email. I love stuff like this. Can't you tell by the title of my system. :lol: I like finding great sounding gear built and designed by small companies.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #115 on: 6 Oct 2006, 09:22 pm »
I'd be curious to see what you find out from him - let me know. The prices are too good to be true, but he gets great feedback. And yes, he meets your systems manufacturing rule - I never heard of him until recently  :icon_lol:. You may want to seriously consider one of Vinnies amps - the 70 watt monos would be killer! That may be my next purchase.

GHM

« Reply #116 on: 6 Oct 2006, 09:51 pm »
I have a 70 wpc battery powered T amp integrated. The guy who has it hasn't had the time to finish it completely as yet. Vinnie's offerings look nice...just more than I'm willing to pay for them.

I kind of wanted another tube amplifier with balls like my MR RM9 MK2 had. I wish sometimes I still had it . The Promitheus has me wanting to try all kinds of amplifiers. As you know only tubes can sound like tubes. Other types come close..but tubes are tubes :wink:. I'll let you know what he has to say.

Good listening

Bwanagreg

« Reply #117 on: 6 Oct 2006, 10:00 pm »
I would never argue with someone who wants tubes  :thumb:. I still miss my VTL 90. That amp had the best bass I ever heard. I don't miss how it departed this world though... it did a credible impersonation of Pompei and trashed a nice pair of small Mission speakers in the process.T hat got me looking a solid state again, but I'll always want a tube in the front end at least. I am going to contact Nick's friend that has his 6C33 amp. Now THAT is a tube!

GHM

« Reply #118 on: 6 Oct 2006, 10:05 pm »
I would never argue with someone who wants tubes  :thumb:. I still miss my VTL 90. That amp had the best bass I ever heard. I don't miss how it departed this world though... it did a credible impersonation of Pompei and trashed a nice pair of small Mission speakers in the process.T hat got me looking a solid state again, but I'll always want a tube in the front end at least. I am going to contact Nick's friend that has his 6C33 amp. Now THAT is a tube!

Tell more Greg..where is this tube amp? I know what you mean. I had some EL34s in the RM9 to explode in the sockets!! I had to take a vacuum cleaner and suck glass out of the sockets. This is one powerful amplifier!! It had the bass control of solid state. Now that I think about it.. it wasn't the tubes..it was the fuses that fed the tubes that exploded.

NewBuyer

« Reply #119 on: 7 Oct 2006, 12:05 am »
...Where did you buy the ERS for the Paradisea's transformer? I'm hoping to try one of these dacs in the near future. I'm trying to decide what to buy first.The Dac or buying a tube amplifier as a second amp for my little system.

GHM, just wanted to highly recommend and suggest the Mhdt Labs DAC. Also, since you have that outstanding Burson Buffer, you do not need a DAC with tube buffer (like Constantine or Renaissance II). The Constantine, USB Plus Constantine, or Dialogue II DAC would be perfect for you and an ideal match with the Burson Buffer. Your system will sing! This would also save you money.